Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast

Thread: Closing Time (3212)

Default Re: Closing Time (3212)

Terrific episode. Can't bloody wait for next week

Also, in case anyone didn't catch it--as of this episode the Doctor has been travelling alone for about 200 years since the end of the previous episode. Remember, in The Impossible Astronaut he said he was 1103 while the younger version was only 906. I imagine that big gap will be filled with a whole lot of novels and such.

You call that a glowstick?
    (Moderator)

what was the baby's first word? i missed it

Last edited by 4thDoctor; September 24th, 2011 at 06:18 PM.
    Although bow ties are cool, the scarf is cooler!

Lieutenant General Pharaoh Atem's Avatar

terrible ep no need for greg or the baby. and a good waste of cybermen.

next weeks looking to be awesoms

Lieutenant General Pharaoh Atem's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pharaoh Hamenthotep View Post
    Do you have another name for them?
    the quiet?

Quote Originally Posted by DigiFluid View Post
    Terrific episode. Can't bloody wait for next week

Also, in case anyone didn't catch it--as of this episode the Doctor has been travelling alone for about 200 years since the end of the previous episode. Remember, in The Impossible Astronaut he said he was 1103 while the younger version was only 906. I imagine that big gap will be filled with a whole lot of novels and such.
    I just finished watching it literally just right now. I also loved it.

Craig was one of my favorite guest characters from the previous season and was one of my favorites again this season. I personally thought that one of the best things about him and the 11th Doctor last season was how typically 21st Century human Craig was while the Doctor was so humorously out of place in that world... and yet he is someone able to endear himself to people.

I think someone should invent a mouse shaped like a Cybermat.

As for the epilogue looping back to The Impossible Astronaut... I'm now wondering whether the Doctor even developed a plan to save himself in his nearly 200 years of travels The God Complex. I'm thinking that he didn't at this point and was simply saying goodbye to places and people that he's visited over the centuries. I genuinely think he's resigned himself to his death. I'm also thinking that somehow it won't be the Doctor getting himself out of this mess, that likely River will decide to do something more drastic than murdering the Doctor: Rewrite what's supposed to be a fixed point in time and perhaps threaten reality itself in the process.

The only way out of this one I could see for the Doctor is him sending a flesh clone out to die for him. But I don't think the Doctor operates in that fashion.
    Last edited by Cold Fuzz; September 24th, 2011 at 09:47 PM.

First Lieutenant

wow. Now, we know who kills the Doctor.
    And that nursery song is still creepy.
    Spoiler:
    I don't think River can weasel her way out of the situation she is doomed to repeat

Preparations at the end (the hat) lead up to next week's eppy, or the events in "the Impossible Astronaut".

and then, another six months to wait for another eppy??
    there is supposed to be a Christmas one, too, so that'll throw off the entire straight timeline viewing, unless all things get resolved happily before the ending of next week's eppy.

Captain

So, having re-watched, here are some thoughts:

+ there's been a real debate in other threads about whether it was or wasn't River who "kills" the Doctor. Notwithstanding some timey-wimeyness, it looks like it will be. BUT, in "The Impossible Astronaut" we see the Doctor talk to the astronaut for a while... perhaps persuading her that she in fact she should kill him (because there's something else going on!), not (failing to) dissuade.

+ since Amy and Rory were apparently similar to how they were left, and Craig/Sophie are only a year or so down the line from "The Lodger", why is the Doctor saying he dies "tomorrow" when it needs to be 200 years time? Perhaps Rule #1 applies regarding his stated age in "The Impossible Astronaut"?

+ we assume that Amy has had enough time to get a modelling job for "Petrichor"... the smell of rain on dry Earth. Curious choice for a perfume... or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Quizziard View Post
    So, having re-watched, here are some thoughts:

+ there's been a real debate in other threads about whether it was or wasn't River who "kills" the Doctor. Notwithstanding some timey-wimeyness, it looks like it will be. BUT, in "The Impossible Astronaut" we see the Doctor talk to the astronaut for a while... perhaps persuading her that she in fact she should kill him (because there's something else going on!), not (failing to) dissuade.

+ since Amy and Rory were apparently similar to how they were left, and Craig/Sophie are only a year or so down the line from "The Lodger", why is the Doctor saying he dies "tomorrow" when it needs to be 200 years time? Perhaps Rule #1 applies regarding his stated age in "The Impossible Astronaut"?

+ we assume that Amy has had enough time to get a modelling job for "Petrichor"... the smell of rain on dry Earth. Curious choice for a perfume... or not?
    If the Doctor isn't lying about his age being 1103 in The Impossible Astronaut, that means that though roughly 1 year of time may have passed for Craig & Sophie as well as Amy & Rory, almost 200 years of subjective time has passed for the Doctor. He's been traveling around for 200 years for him, but since he's a time traveler, the rest of history wouldn't readily notice. However, I think the Silence and their followers may have known how long he's been traveling alone.

GAH! Young people! I've been watching a few fan reviews of "Closing Time" and I am amazed at how many young fans think that the Cybermats were called "cyber rats" and that they are brand new characters. No sense of Who history.

I was a bit disappointed by the end (not the River bit).

I was really looking forward to this episode having a grim ending of Craig being turned into a Cyberman. I still expected him to be himself (like Yvonne) and go on a rampage to save The Doctor, Stormageddon and because it was a half assed conversion (like Torchwood's Cyber Lady)thought The Doctor would undo it as they were just putting overlaying the armour rather than replacing body parts.

If they didn't make fun of love saving the day, I'd have been pissed at such a cheesy ending.

Other than that, I really enjoyed the episode. I love seeing the interaction between Craig and The Doctor, and of course Stormageddon too. Bit disappointed The Doctor went from 909 (last episode) to 1103 over the course of one episode. Tenth knew he'd regenerate, so visited all his previous companions but I'd love to know what Eleven did knowing he's going to his death.
    Last edited by SaberBlade; September 25th, 2011 at 08:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 4thDoctor View Post
    GAH! Young people! I've been watching a few fan reviews of "Closing Time" and I am amazed at how many young fans think that the Cybermats were called "cyber rats" and that they are brand new characters. No sense of Who history.
    I think if I heard anyone calling them cyber-rats I'd kick them in the shins.
    I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now.
    Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

Travelling in The TARDIS with The Doctor & Clara

Quote Originally Posted by P-90_177 View Post
    I think if I heard anyone calling them cyber-rats I'd kick them in the shins.
    Yes, and then tell them that the pain they just felt must have been caused by CYBERMATS!
    THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering
    DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD, THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES, K-9, and much more...

I must admit... I part expected the cyber-conversion to be fully completed.

Having recently watched Attack of the Cybermen, I wondered if the obviously pudgy Cyberleader was going to be retconned into being Craig... it would have explained a lot in a morbid sense.

Anyone notice how needy the Cybermen seem to be in terms of searching for a new father figure to lead them, nearly ALL the time...?

Loved the ep though! Really good fun!

A few choices in the ages and timelines still have me wondering.

- Why would the 1103 doctor choose to contact the Rory and Amy from BEFORE he left them for 200 years?
    - If it's River in the Space Suit the kills him, and she is in prison for killing him, then the version of her that goes to Utah/1969 is a version from after those events?

Not quite sure how to phrase them other than that, but it seems to me that the doctor would want them in the point of their timeline where they would have the most knowledge (i.e. Who River is)

And I'm not sure I like Moffat's random use of Cybermen throughout his tenure. At least with RTD's Cybermen, you always knew where they came from. Moffat's Cybermen seem to contradict the Doctor's statement about them from "Dalek"
    <a href=http://slightlyremoved.wordpress.com/ target=_blank>http://slightlyremoved.wordpress.com/</a>

Travelling in The TARDIS with The Doctor & Clara

Quote Originally Posted by Archaeis View Post
    A few choices in the ages and timelines still have me wondering.

- Why would the 1103 doctor choose to contact the Rory and Amy from BEFORE he left them for 200 years?
    Because they need to rejoin his 909-year old self.

- If it's River in the Space Suit the kills him, and she is in prison for killing him, then the version of her that goes to Utah/1969 is a version from after those events?
    That's right. If you recall, the River that was invited to the beach along with Amy and Rory was already locked up in the Stormcage for murder. So why River on the beach doesn't recognise the circumstances surrounding the murder and seems to be genuinely surprised by it all is something that is yet to be answered.

And I'm not sure I like Moffat's random use of Cybermen throughout his tenure. At least with RTD's Cybermen, you always knew where they came from. Moffat's Cybermen seem to contradict the Doctor's statement about them from "Dalek"
    What statement about the Cybermen in Dalek?

• And as for the recent appearances of the Cybermen...
    • The Cybermen left a sentry to guard the Pandorica.

• The Cybermen entered in to an alliance to trap the Doctor within the Pandorica.

• The Cyber Fleet in a sector of space monitor communications.

• The Cybermen crashed on Earth...crashed on Earth.

Their appearances have been pretty self explanatory I think.
    THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering
    DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD, THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES, K-9, and much more...

Oh my. That was such a great episode - a funny and exciting adventure all wrapped up with a sweet bow, but with an undercurrent of super-sad, culminating in shock. Despite a lifetime of seeing regenerations come and go, despite a lifetime of last-minute reprieves and twists that could make a hurricane dizzy, they still manage to make me feel like I'm about to lose a dear friend. This show never ceases to amaze me.

I absolutely loved this episode. So funny and with a few unexpected very moving moments as well.

Favourite bits

"You've redecorated! I don't like it."

Stormageddon

Grinding pepper over Craig.

"Look they gave me a badge with my name on in case I forget who I am. Very thoughtful. As that does happen."

"Alignment of Exeter."
    "Mind Yappy, the robot dog. Not as much fun as I remember."
    Craig - "Do I look like I'm stupid?" The Doctor - "Quiet Stormy."
    "I've never excreted any weird alien gasses at you."
    Nice seeing Amy & Rory briefly. I noticed Rory was carrying all the bags.
    Craig - "Can't you put that on quiet?" The Doctor - "No. It's a sonic screwdriver. Sonic equals sound."
    "Take this. I got it with my discount 10% off. It's a papoose!"
    "I'm so old. So near the end."
    "Don't worry! I have an app for that."
    "Come along, Bitey."

I was nearly moved to tears at the end, the Doctor sounded so old, so tired and so resigned to death.

I was completely surprised at seeing River. But I still don't think she is going to kill the Doctor. It far too obvious for the Moff IMO.

I can't wait for next Saturday! BTW I'd love Craig to become a full time companion. But I don't know what Sophie & Stormageddon would think to that.

Doctor Who next episode - "Time Heist", Saturday 20th September, BBC1, 7.30 pm
    Donate to Manchester Dogs Home following arson attack

He likes being called "Alfie" now. 4docwhosmiley.gif

First Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by Blencathra View Post
    Nice seeing Amy & Rory briefly. I noticed Rory was carrying all the bags.
    I was surprised at seeing both of them, and thought their names in the beginning credits were just a mistake or being overlooked, as I never thought they'd be back for a cameo so soon! and Amy selling perfume -- perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by Blencathra View Post
    "Mind Yappy, the robot dog. Not as much fun as I remember."
    Was that an indirect reference to K-9 and his perpetual (but *awesome*) yappiness??

Quote Originally Posted by 4thDoctor View Post
    I haven't read the forums elsewhere, but yeah -- no sense of D.WHO history. Or, maybe they've just never seen any Patrick Troughton (Doctor #2) eppies yet.
    I think the biggest difference between the latest Cybermats and the ones during Tom Baker's era is that the teeth don't look like a cartoon of felt glued onto the mouth. Plus, they now light up red in their underspines like Cylons (of the newest BSG series). =)