Compassion is a strength

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compassion is a strength

The dialog between Keller and Todd here really stood out from the rest of the episode. No threats, no demands for death, no trying to force anyone's hand (pun possibly intended).

It was simple; it was much-needed character interaction and growth; it was also vague.

Compassion is a strength? Okay, how? Compassion is a weakness? Okay, how?

Atlantis is focused on killing and throughout the episode they want to find a quick and easy way to kill ever wraith on board. Wraith are loyal and rescue fallen comrades. Neither side shows us a reason to believe what they say

Furthermore, Todd says that John would not see compassion as a strength. John was the one who freed him from the gennii and later another faction of wraith. He even let Todd leave to join other wraith both times. What was it that now makes Todd think John would argue compassion is a weakness?
    Price for Pain What do you mean violence isn't the answer?

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

Ficta voluptatis causa sint proxima veris

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Shepard is foolish, thankfully it hasn't come back to cost us.....yet.

Comment

Originally posted by morrismike View Post
      Shepard is foolish, thankfully it hasn't come back to cost us.....yet.
      That doesn't really relate to anything asked here. It just brings up another question ('what are you talking about?).

Which side does it prove to be right and how? What is Todd talking about in regards to Sheppard? How did he stop seeing Sheppard as compassionate? When? Is it a strength or a weakness?

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

Compassion is a weakness because when you give a bad guy mercy, it means they'll eventually return to do more harm to you. It's a strength because it means you make more friends who';ll back you and help you out when you need it.

Comment

Originally posted by Galileo_Galilee View Post
          Compassion is a weakness because when you give a bad guy mercy, it means they'll eventually return to do more harm to you. It's a strength because it means you make more friends who';ll back you and help you out when you need it.
          +1

Comment

Originally posted by Galileo_Galilee View Post
            So they are both right, then?

Comment

I don't know if this was the original intent of the scene but frankly I'd like to believe that Todd was just humoring her and playing into her preconceptions. He's well over 10,000 years old, he understands more than she ever will; moreover I think by wraith standards, he's shown a fair amount of it.
              "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

Originally posted by Infinite-Possibilities View Post
                I don't know if this was the original intent of the scene but frankly I'd like to believe that Todd was just humoring her and playing into her preconceptions. He's well over 10,000 years old, he understands more than she ever will; moreover I think by wraith standards, he's shown a fair amount of it.
                Was his comment about Sheppard part of the humor to you?

Comment

Yes, because he probably would have though the apparent contrast in attitude that the two of them had towards him was amusing. So he brought up that apparent dissonance between them with her. That was my take on the scene anyway.
                  "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

Yes, because he probably would have though the apparent contrast in attitude that the two of them had towards him was amusing. So he brought up that apparent dissonance between them with her. That was my take on the scene anyway.
                    That is quite interesting. I never thought of that. This would imply he was dropping and in-joke as the first time he decided to side with John, he thought John was ultimately going to shoot him despite Todd repaying him for what he was given.

Or do you think Todd thought John had told him about that?

Comment

I'm not quite sure what you mean. I didn't think the scene had a great deal of implications for other moments that Todd had with John and the others. My view was that It was mostly because of the semi-antagonistic relationship John has with him. He's often threatening to kill him, and even if it's in jest Sheppard still pretty much kills all the wraith he can find. Plus that was one episode where they were really starting to get at odds due to their last encounter ending in confrontation.

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

I'm not quite sure what you mean. I didn't think the scene had a great deal of implications for other moments that Todd had with John and the others. My view was that It was mostly because of the semi-antagonistic relationship John has with him. He's often threatening to kill him, and even if it's in jest Sheppard still pretty much kills all the wraith he can find. Plus that was one episode where they were really starting to get at odds due to their last encounter ending in confrontation.
                        Ah. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by WraithRichard View Post
                          So they are both right, then?
                          Yes. Against those foes who would see your compassion as a sign you actually give a shi#, it would be seen as a strength, cause compassion/mercy given will eventually be repaid (see Kingdom of heaven for an example). Where as to others, it is a sign you are weak.

Comment

Working...
                          X