Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123 456 ... LastLast

Thread: The God Complex (3211)

Travelling in The TARDIS with The Doctor & Clara

Default Re: The God Complex (3211)

"Classic Who"

"Nu Who"

AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyhoo...Amy and Rory as companions are special cases. The Doctor's involvement with Amy at such a young age affected everything for her from age 6 and up. She's been caught up in that life for a very long time and it reflected on to Rory too so they haven't known too much of anything else. The Doctor's let her and Rory go so they can try and live the lives they should have had without interference from him. They've gone to finally grow up.
    THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering
    DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD, THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES, K-9, and much more...

When he travels alone, things like "The Waters of mars" happen.
    Or "The Deadly Assassin".

Quote Originally Posted by 4thDoctor View Post
    Or "The Deadly Assassin".
    Speaking of that story...depending on how you count Grace Holloway, Donna Noble in The Runaway Bride, Astrid Peth, Jackson Lake, Christina de Souza, Adelaide Brooke, and Wilfred Mott...Closing Time next Saturday could very well be the first story since 1976's The Deadly Assassin that the Doctor has been companion-less! Wow!
    DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD, THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES, K-9, and much more...

Captain

My personal best line: "Don't talk to the clown!"

So, where did the Doctor get a car and house from though? Effectively just a cheap trick, like jumping back in time to untie/tie your own tie? Or a genuine gift for some loyal companions - if so, why not for previous ones? Surely they already had their old lives, set up in the most boring village in the country...?

Quote Originally Posted by Quizziard View Post
    My personal best line: "Don't talk to the clown!"

So, where did the Doctor get a car and house from though? Effectively just a cheap trick, like jumping back in time to untie/tie your own tie? Or a genuine gift for some loyal companions - if so, why not for previous ones? Surely they already had their old lives, set up in the most boring village in the country...?
    He gave Sarah Jane Smith her own model of K-9 and also a Sonic Lipstick and a Scanner Watch but only after he met her again. Other companions he hasn't looked back on. As for Amy and Rory's lives in Leadworth...those lives were still being overshadowed by the Doctor for years. The Doctor's removed his shadow from off their lives now and he's letting them live as they should have done before. He's rescued them from him. Their adventure is life on Earth now.

Isn't the house Amy & Rory's own house, ie the same one that they were living in at the beginning of The Impossible Astronaut? Or did I miss something? I thought the Doctor had just bought the car.

BTW I've been thinking. (It doesn't happen very often.)

The Doctor said the weeping angels weren't real. But what about "the image of an angel becomes an angel"? Won't that apply here also?

Doctor Who returns on Saturday 23rd August - BBC1

The Doctor said the weeping angels weren't real.
    Rule #1 The Doctor lies.

Chief Master Sergeant

I'm surprised that nobody else here is pissed off about how Rory, seemingly, was just entirely dismissed.

This is goodbye to both Amy and Rory, but Rory doesn't actually even get to say goodbye? Thanks? See you in 200 years?

I feel like Rory just was entirely written off for 90% of his time here, with the 10% of his time either being devoted to saving Amy (a la Demon's Run) or being the reason for Amy to not fall in love with the Doctor.

Granted, he became badass and hilarious along the way, but...really? I'm put-off by this shunting of his character off to nowehresville.

"Oh, a cool car! I'll go away now while emotional things happen."

Quote Originally Posted by PMN1 View Post
    Why did Rory see an emergency exit when no-one else did and why did it turn into a room door??
    In end it was not fear that fed the creature it was faith.

Rory does not have faith in anyone to save him from his fear, which like all husbands in the universe the thing they fear the most is there wife. Thus there is nothing to feed off.
    Last edited by knowles2; September 18th, 2011 at 02:08 PM.

Somewhere in the Stargate and Doctor Who Universe

Quote Originally Posted by Blencathra View Post
    Isn't the house Amy & Rory's own house, ie the same one that they were living in at the beginning of The Impossible Astronaut? Or did I miss something? I thought the Doctor had just bought the car.

BTW I've been thinking. (It doesn't happen very often.)

The Doctor said the weeping angels weren't real. But what about "the image of an angel becomes an angel"? Won't that apply here also?
    Spoiler:
    It is the same house.
    Spoiler:
    The next episode (Closing Time) happens 200 years in the future, so Im guessing, that when he sends them the letters, we loop round to the Impossible Astronaut, but see it from the 200 years older Doctors point of view, and we see his plan to defeat the enemy/enemies...
    Its definately going to be a timey wimey explanation...

Also, nice spot on the Weeping Angels, but I think, because they are just generated images, they dont have the same affect...

Stargate SG1 - 1997 - 2007_______________Stargate Atlantis - 2004 - 2009
    Stargate Universe - 2009 - 2011_________Sanctuary - 2008 - 2012
    Merlin - 2008 - 2012_________________Star Wars The Clone Wars - 2008 - 2013
    Doctor Who - 1963 - Present ___________Torchwood - 2006 - Present
    The Walking Dead - 2010 - Present__________Falling Skies - 2011 - Present
    And many more... (Game of Thrones, Person of Interest, NCIS, Sleepy Hollow, Almost Human, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D, Under the Dome, Atlantis, Arrow)

Doctor Who Season 8 - Cant wait!_________________The Walking Dead Season 5 - Cant wait!
    Falling Skies Season 4 - Currently on!_________________ Game of Thrones Season 5 - Cant wait!
    Person of Interest Season 4 - Cant wait!_________________ Sleepy Hollow Season 2 - Cant wait!

I think there is more to it than that. These Weeping Angels weren't based on real Weeping Angels, such as the video footage Amy watched or in a photograph (which they have overlooked from 'Blink' as Sally gave the Doctor photos of the Angels) but rather taken from the memory of Gibbis. He's still alive so I'd assume he'd only ever saw them in their statue form and his fear comes from what they did to others. So Gibbis gets generic angry looking statues, while Amy on the other hand could have gotten the whole package.

With just a few statues there is no real to go for realistic Angels (such the clown, the girls, the P.E/Gym teacher) as he'd be scared just by their appearance and trying not to blink.

I'm surprised Amy and Rory dont want to save the Doctor or even their daughter.
    "You don't know half of it".
    Former C.I.A. Director George Bush
    (When asked about UFO secrecy by a member of his presidential campaign committee)

http://www.forumpedia.com/style_imag...ext3420557.gif

Quote Originally Posted by GodAtum View Post
    I'm surprised Amy and Rory dont want to save the Doctor or even their daughter.
    They know they can't save the Doctor because he needs to die. Their daughter is safe because her destiny is set and her parents know too much about the future. Let's Kill Hitler was the crossroads for the Doctor and River because he knows more about what will happen to her and River knows nothing about what will happen to the Doctor.

Quote Originally Posted by jameshawking View Post
    I'm surprised that nobody else here is pissed off about how Rory, seemingly, was just entirely dismissed.

This is goodbye to both Amy and Rory, but Rory doesn't actually even get to say goodbye? Thanks? See you in 200 years?

I feel like Rory just was entirely written off for 90% of his time here, with the 10% of his time either being devoted to saving Amy (a la Demon's Run) or being the reason for Amy to not fall in love with the Doctor.

Granted, he became badass and hilarious along the way, but...really? I'm put-off by this shunting of his character off to nowehresville.

"Oh, a cool car! I'll go away now while emotional things happen."
    To be fair. Rory went inside to get Champaign. You see him with it and a few glasses when he comes out of the house.

I wouldn't say the Doctor Dismissed him either. He got him a car......I mean come on......I mean he rarely gives his companions any sort of parting gift like that. This to me would indicate that the Doctor still had a special sort of friendship with Rory. I think all in all he actually got on with Rory better than most of his companions because on some level the two of them understood one another, and the Doctor knew that he could rely on Rory to take care of things when he wasn't around.
    I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now.
    Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

Teyla’s Gymnastic Dance Sticks

Teyla’s Gymnastic Dance Sticks

Isn't the house Amy & Rory's own house, ie the same one that they were living in at the beginning of The Impossible Astronaut? Or did I miss something?
    There are piccies on the GallifreyBase website showing the front doors are different.

Amy_FrontDoors.jpg

First Lieutenant Galileo_Galilee's Avatar

Different doors doesn't necessarily mean it's a different house.

Somewhere in the Stargate and Doctor Who Universe

Quote Originally Posted by Galileo_Galilee View Post
    Different doors doesn't necessarily mean it's a different house.
    I thought that too...
    Also, seeing as the Doctor saw his fear in a room, I wonder what the Doctor prays to? Amy asked, and the Doctor just avoided the question...

Stargate SG1 - 1997 - 2007_______________Stargate Atlantis - 2004 - 2009
    Stargate Universe - 2009 - 2011_________Sanctuary - 2008 - 2012
    Merlin - 2008 - 2012_________________Star Wars The Clone Wars - 2008 - 2013
    Doctor Who - 1963 - Present ___________Torchwood - 2006 - Present
    The Walking Dead - 2010 - Present__________Falling Skies - 2011 - Present
    And many more... (Game of Thrones, Person of Interest, NCIS, Sleepy Hollow, Almost Human, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D, Under the Dome, Atlantis, Arrow)

Doctor Who Season 8 - Cant wait!_________________The Walking Dead Season 5 - Cant wait!
    Falling Skies Season 4 - Currently on!_________________ Game of Thrones Season 5 - Cant wait!
    Person of Interest Season 4 - Cant wait!_________________ Sleepy Hollow Season 2 - Cant wait!

New house = bricks around door.
    Old house = glass panelling.

If it was the same house, it would mean that Amy and Rory live through the death of The Doctor twice. It would also mean he'd have dropped them off at a point before April 22nd for them to be living in the house to get the mail he sends them.

So I do believe it's a different house.

Unless something happens in the intervening time requiring a new door *shrugs*

Just out of interest, we know the location of future Doctors TARDIS is a key question, well as we've seen the Master do, the TARDIS can be made into a very powerful paradox machine to hold a paradox together from the end of the universe to its mere infancy.

I doubt the Doctor would do this, but, if he WERE to hide the TARDIS as a paradox machine it *could* open the way for him to die but still be alive AFTER being saved from the death resulting in the paradox, and working backwards to eliminate his death completely.

N.C