Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 345 ... LastLast

Thread: The God Complex (3211)

First Lieutenant

Default Re: The God Complex (3211)

Pretty decent episode. I don't mind leaving Amy that much, but I will miss Rory. Seemed a little out of the blue for The Doctor to all of a sudden decide that they should part ways. Unless something in that room reminded him of their mortality.

There was one thing that I did NOT like though... As someone with SEVERE ichthyophobia, I did not appreciate the aquarium and am still VERY disturbed by happened to the creature inside it.

Oh, and nice to hear a Star Trek reference .

I can't get past the ending. I was shocked. You see, my problem with watching is that I 'forget' that its not real and when something like the Doctor leaving companions behind, I messes me up as I feel bad for the characters; at least temporarily.

I personally like the whole Amy and Rory dynamic. Only 2 more episodes to go? Whatever will I do now?

Lost in Paradise ~ Habbies, Habbies, Habbies!!

hmmm!!

no doubt the dr saw himself ... in what form or time .... ????

will certainly miss Amy and Rory if they are truly gone!!

the whole conversation with the creature at the end ... not about the creature but, about the dr himself i suspect.

teehee!!

• really wasn't expecting that ending, very sad
    • that was definitely the cloister bell when the Doctor found his room....what could that mean?!
    • a mention of Nimon! And pictures of critters from the RTD years! Awesomeness, Moff
    • I really liked Rita and was sad to see her go. She would've made an interesting addition to the TARDIS crew
    • interesting tidbit I just saw on the TARDIS Index File: Lucy Hayward was originally called Lucy Miller, but they decided to change it to avoid confusion with Lucie Miller of The New Eighth Doctor Adventures

I'm confused... I thought Little Pond was the Doctor's fear (having ruined her life, exposed her to danger etc) but the Doctor's room was near where the Minotaur collapsed in the hall... so who's fear was Little Pond???

In "The Impossible Astronaut" the future Doctor mentioned that he was running away faster than he ever had before just near the moment of his death. That's what the ending of "The God Complex" felt like emotionally. He wasn't saving Amy and Rory as much as he was running away, at least to me. When 200 years pass for thr Doctor, he finally stops running. Maybe the Doctor seeing his room reminded him of his own mortality as well as the mortality of his companions. I think that would be enough to send him running, emotionally speaking, for 200 years.

Yeah it does make sense that he would leave Amy and Rory on Earth.... especially when you consider that in the Impossible Astronaut they werent with him, they will be back with the doctor by next season , his just trying to run from death......
    Last edited by mr_kennedy; September 18th, 2011 at 12:23 AM.
    Last Movie Watched
    The Breakfast Club

Last Video Game Played
    Portal

Quote Originally Posted by Lahela View Post
    I'm confused... I thought Little Pond was the Doctor's fear (having ruined her life, exposed her to danger etc) but the Doctor's room was near where the Minotaur collapsed in the hall... so who's fear was Little Pond???
    That was Amy's fear - that the Doctor would never come back for her.

Doctor Who returns on Saturday 23rd August - BBC1

Quote Originally Posted by mr_kennedy View Post
    Yeah it does make sense that he would leave Amy and Rory on Earth.... especially when you consider that in the Impossible Astronaut they werent with him, they will be back with the doctor by next season , his just trying to run from death......
    That gives the Doctor 200 years of subjective time to run away from his death at Lake Silencio, Utah. But that's also 200 years of developing a plan that could alter a fixed point in time, something that would of course have radical consequences for the timeline. Personally, i think he used the 200 years to shutout out Amy, Rory, and River from his life but then decided near the end of the 200 years to finally face up to his own mortality... by devising a plan to alter the timeline and undo his death. I'm sure it involves some twists to defeat Madam Kovarian and the Silence.

i didn't know what to make of this episode to be honest - it was so like the episode "Lia" that Toby Whithouse wrote for Being Human. (The one where Mitchell goes to rescue Annie in purgatory.) It was quite enjoyable though. I certainly wasn't expecting Amy & Rory to depart at the end of this episode. There were unexpected tears. I thought that would happen at the end of the season finale. I'm pleased Amy mentioned River.

Favourite bits...

"Our anthem is 'Glory To INSERT NAME HERE!'"
    "Every time the Doctor gets pally with someone I get this overwhelming urge to notify their next of kin."
    "Something hit me - was it my wife?"
    "You are a medical doctor aren't you? You haven't just a got a degree in cheesemaking or something?" Doctor -"No. Well, yes, both actually."
    "But.. that's my favourite car... How did you know it was my favourite car?" Doctor - "Well you showed me a picture once and said "This is my favourite car""

I gave this one a personal score of 7/10.

Edit - BTW I was a gnat's wing away from thinking that the Doctor was channelling Red Dwarf when he said he was " literally an otter's toe nail away from getting us out of here."
    Last edited by Blencathra; September 18th, 2011 at 03:32 AM.

Doctor Who returns on Saturday 23rd August - BBC1

Teyla’s Gymnastic Dance Sticks

Why did Rory see an emergency exit when no-one else did and why did it turn into a room door??

I think that got covered when the Doctor figured out the Faith part, Rory has never shown faith in anything, except himself when he toughens up after travelling with the Doctor for awhile. But even then, Rory's isnt so much faith in himself as it is a simple confidence.

I think the door appeared so the ship could let him out to keep him from interfering with the ships plans for the others.

Either that or it was really dark and the ship wanted to space him to get rid of him.

Old Who already did that in the form of the Valeyard
    I know about the Valeyard, i was just saying that given the Valeyard is supposed to be between his 12th and 13th regenerations, our Doctor is on number 11, if he IS headed for the Valeyard scenario then wouldnt it make sense for the Doctor to start becoming progressively darker the closer he gets?

Not to mention everything the Doctors been through over the millenia

N.C

First Lieutenant

I really enjoyed that episode. It was creepy. It was moving. And not being a finalé the ending took me completely by surprise. I'm going to join in the "What was the Doctor's room?" speculation and say it was the Doctor surrounded by the wreckage of all his companion's lives.

I loved how utterly clueless the Doctor was about the subtext of the minotaur's final speech and it had to throw all subtlety away and say it outright.
    Last edited by pbellosom; September 18th, 2011 at 07:55 AM.

A good episode. I must agree that the Doctor did see himself in some form in room #11, with the cloister bell ringing I thought perhaps he was seeing the moment at the end of the Time War when he time locked Gallifrey.

First Lieutenant Galileo_Galilee's Avatar

You know, with the ending of this episode, if the Companions are always in danger like this and have to be saved from being changed, then I have to question what the point is to having them. I understand that the original point of having them was to ground the Doctor and help him appreciate humanity more, but really, if they are always in such danger then maybe he should just travel alone.

You call that a glowstick?
    (Moderator)

they are always in danger...but they are also the only thing keeping him from becoming a megalomaniac bad guy. he endangers them but they are the only thing keeping him from becoming a 'james bond villain'

he needs to risk human life to keep in touch with his humanity.

he has ultimate power, and that ultimate power can corrupt ultimately, and the companions are the only thing keeping that from happening.

So for Classic who fans.........................Who else reckoned the Minotaur looked to be the same species as the monster from the End of 'Battlefield'?
    Even fits with the idea of them being a race that feeds off faith and fear.
    I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now.
    Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

First Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by Galileo_Galilee View Post
    You know, with the ending of this episode, if the Companions are always in danger like this and have to be saved from being changed, then I have to question what the point is to having them. I understand that the original point of having them was to ground the Doctor and help him appreciate humanity more, but really, if they are always in such danger then maybe he should just travel alone.
    Well yeah, he probably shouldn't have companions. In fact several times in New Who he has loudly proclaimed that he's not having any more companions because even though he needs them, it's dangerous for them and it shouldn't be about his needs. But he just doesn't have the willpower to give them up for long.

Quote Originally Posted by P-90_177 View Post
    So for Classic who fans.........................Who else reckoned the Minotaur looked to be the same species as the monster from the End of 'Battlefield'?
    Even fits with the idea of them being a race that feeds off faith and fear.
    I haven't watched Battlefield yet, but I was pretty stoked that they mentioned the Nimon

Quote Originally Posted by PMN1 View Post
    Why did Rory see an emergency exit when no-one else did and why did it turn into a room door??
    They explained that in the episode. Rory had no belief the minotaur could feed on, so it showed him the exit.

Quote Originally Posted by Galileo_Galilee View Post
    When he travels alone, things like "The Waters of mars" happen.