No announcement yet.

The Girl Who Waited (3210)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i think "older" Amy didn't want to give up all she had accomplished, overcome, missed (she had lost 36 years with the man she loves on top of losing her daughter and then finding out her daughter is a psycho). That is a lot to triumph over.

Her years would have been tough and I imagine even if you know that there is the time difference. 36YEARS --- it is an eternity to wait even if you have the knowledge.

Besides does anyone truly want to die when you come down to it?

it all ended very conveniently ... the Dr. who had to make the tough choice was a smuck for making Rory make a decision that the Dr. knew he had already made. Why torment the man.

still an awesome ep. one of the best of the season.

teehee!!
    sigpic
    SCORE!!
    The Babe's Fave Song Tourney ~ Super Sonic Sixties 66/67 ~ Clickie!!

Comment

On the subject of Melody, now that they KNOW what happened to her, that shortly after her being born she was imprisoned in a space-suit, then regenerated and became Mels and grew up, I don't think there's any POINT them looking for her. It would cause a massive paradox, the ways things are, is the way things have to be...

I thought it was kinda obviously made clear in Let's Kill Hitler that the search was now over...

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Correction:

No, sorry. Rory does not actually have free access to those memories. He explained it himself when the Doctor asked; the memories are like a door that is something shut and sometimes open. His memory of that time is unreliable at best.

Comment

When the episode first started I was a little unsure at first. But then we got some absolutely heartbreaking performances with Rory and Amy. When I got to that moment where Rory had to make that awful choice to keep the door shut for the older Amy, it was Niagara Falls in tears for me. To have to do that to the one person you love more than anything... heartbreakingly terrible.
          sigpic

Comment

Rory: This isn't fair. You're turning me into you.

Grimm returns October 24
            sigpic

Signature and Avatar by Hyndara71 - Thank you very much
            Profile Picture by BM-Shipper

Comment

On the subject of Melody, now that they KNOW what happened to her, that shortly after her being born she was imprisoned in a space-suit, then regenerated and became Mels and grew up, I don't think there's any POINT them looking for her.

I thought it was kinda obviously made clear in Let's Kill Hitler that the search was now over...
              I do not the it as clear as you make out. Especially as we still do not know how that story that the marine spoke about in good men goes tow war fit into Rivers timeline.

It looks to me that marine knew River/Mel as a baby, and we know that the doctor pays a visit to the planet where she was from.
              So I suspect at least the doctor will encounter her when she is a baby, whether Amy and Rory will is a different question.

But you lost your baby and then learnt that you grew up with her when you growing up would not you focus on her when remembering those memories. I think I would.

Comment

I've just realised that this episode could have been over in 5 minutes.

If Young Amy had simply walked back out into the room where the TARDIS had originally landed, and just waited for a little bit, the Doctor could have simpy gone forward ahead 1 week from when they originally landed (that is how long Young Amy was already waiting in Red Waterfall from her perspective) and got her easily.

But then, we wouldn't have had an awesome episode that dealt with time paradoxes, and the affect that they could have had on the same person at 2 different points in their lives, with different personalities due to how their lives diverged between the 2 points.

Still a hell of a lot better than "Night Terrors" though!
                Teselecta: "Silence will fall when the question is asked."

Doctor: "And what is the question?"

Teselecta: "How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?"

Doctor: " *Brainfart* ".

Comment

Wow, this was one of the most emotionally powerful episodes of Doctor Who (and really any show) I've ever seen. Rory agonizing not just because Amy had to go through that, but for what they missed out on plus seeing Amy remember how much she loved him and how much he loved her. The two Amy's talking about Rory. The final moments that Old Amy shared with Rory talking through the TARDIS door *tearjerker* just seemed so genuine.

The ending of Rory saying, "you're turning me into you" was powerful and profound. Making the right choice but at the same time making the hardest choice in the world, welcome to life as The Doctor.

Karen and Arthur have solidified their places (in my book) as the greatest companions I've seen and their acting, along with Matt's and the writing\directing were amazing!
                  sigpic

Comment

Remember, the Tardis does not take him where he wants to go, it takes him where he needs to go.

But I'm not sure why he needed to be in this place. There was no real lesson for them to be learned.

But when Rory said "You're turning me into you" it reminded me of what Davros said about the Doctor.

He's not a warrior, but he turns people into warriors.

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
                      It looks to me that marine knew River/Mel as a baby, and we know that the doctor pays a visit to the planet where she was from.
                      So I suspect at least the doctor will encounter her when she is a baby, whether Amy and Rory will is a different question.
                      That Marine was stationed on the base. She knows Melody's name because it was written on the side of the crib (the one in the med bay). That's it. You're looking much too far into this when the truth is plain to see.

Comment

Originally posted by Billz View Post
                        I've just realised that this episode could have been over in 5 minutes.
                        Yup - she could have yelled through the closed door, "Which of the two buttons did you press?"

Anyway, on some of the other random points, if I can remember them:

a) Perhaps Amy doesn't want to so easily give up the 36 years of lonely struggle in a moment of time-line readjustment. I guess she feels considerably frustrated at having to go through it. Notwithstanding her forgetfulness at Rory's far superior (albeit chosen) commitment/sacrifice, it would effectively eliminate her efforts. She was being very selfish.

b) A medicine for one species would not necessarily be harmful to another, especially when 99% of the two physiologies is likely to be the same. But I guess it's convenient it was...

c) I think the pressure to save Melody is reduced but will still take place in a few episode's time...

Comment

They can't save Melody. Time has already played out. Mels lived her life as a friend of her parents, as a child in an astronaut suit, and so forth. There's no rescuing to be done. They already turned her from the path of a crazy assassin. Any more would break causality.

Comment

another correction:

GG: the TARDIS doesn't always take him where he wants to go, surely. But it does at some points (even the doctor admits this). It always makes sure he goes where he's needed, but he does get some say in it.

Comment

Did anyone else catch the Doctors line of

"If you know your own fate you can work out how to avoid it"

??

I thought that was a clever little hidden line amongst the emotion of the episode, does this suggest the Doctor knows about Utah?

Or is it a suggestive way of getting Rory/Amy to tell the Doctor about what began in in Episode 1?

N.C

Comment

Originally posted by Nth Chevron View Post
                                Did anyone else catch the Doctors line of

"If you know your own fate you can work out how to avoid it"

??

I thought that was a clever little hidden line amongst the emotion of the episode, does this suggest the Doctor knows about Utah?

Or is it a suggestive way of getting Rory/Amy to tell the Doctor about what began in in Episode 1?

N.C
                                The Doctor is well aware of his fate now. In Let's Kill Hitler he got the information downloaded in to the TARDIS and it tells him the where and the when of his death.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
                                K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Working...
                                X