The Girl Who Waited (3210)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sealurk View Post
    On the strength of this episode, I hope we get Tom Macrae writing for Who again. Can't say I considered his previous effort (the Tenth Doctor Cyberman two-parter) to be particularly noteworthy, but then I haven't watched it in a while and it was Series 2 so that may not be a fair point.

Series 5 and 6 featured enemies and characters, robots in bold, spoilered for length, pedantry and anybody who hasn't seen all preceding 11th Doctor episodes. If I've missed any, please point them out:

Spoiler:
    Eleventh Hour - Atraxi & Prisoner Zero
    Beast Below - Starwhale, Liz Ten, Winders & Smilers (debatable)
    Victory of the Daleks - Churchill, Daleks & Professor Edwin Bracewell
    Time of Angels - Weeping Angels & Clerics
    Flesh and Stone - Weeping Angels & fewer Clerics
    Vampires of Venice - Saturnynians (fish vampires) & Venetians
    Amy's Choice - Dream Lord & Eknodine
    Hungry Earth - Silurians
    Cold Blood - Silurians
    Vincent and the Doctor - Krafayis
    The Lodger - Craig, Sophie, a cat & the pseudo-TARDIS Hologram
    The Pandorica Opens - Nestene Duplicates, Daleks, Cyberman, Sontarans etc.
    The Big Bang - Stone Dalek
    A Christmas Carol - Sky fish, Kazran Sardick
    The Impossible Astronaut - The Astronaut, the girl & Silence
    Day of the Moon - Silence
    Curse of the Black Spot - Hologram Doctor/Nurse/Siren, pirates
    The Doctor's Wife - House, Idris, Auntie, Uncle, Nephew
    The Rebel Flesh - Gangers (not robots)
    The Almost People - Gangers
    A Good Man Goes to War - Headless Monks, Clerics, Dorium, Vastra, Strax, Danny Boy, pirates, ganger, River
    Let's Kill Hitler - Tesselecta, River, Mels, Antibodies
    Night Terrors - Dolls, Tenza
    The Girl Who Waited - Hand Bots

I count six instances out of...lots.
    Nope, I think you have them all there, i was struggling to think of a few of those myself...

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
      This was okay if you are able to ignore the humongous potholes with in the story or perhaps I missed the explanation bit about why the virus would not kill someone in the other time stream with in a day of that time stream. The victims of the plague look completely human so would not the virus infect Rory and Amy as well, and why would medicine kill them. Either I missed the explanations or they did not brother with them.
      Teddybrown covered part of it. The virus only affects the natives or Time Lords, since the physiology is similar. Humans are immune, and consequently medicine that's good for the natives would react lethally with humans. Furthermore, it's made clear that the nature of the time streams prevents the victims within from dying. People age, but they never need food, water, or rest.

Comment

Well, that was pretty good. Totally loved The Doctor in this one! I think this was the best of Eleven I've seen so far. It showed how non-human he really is.
        Also, I love Rory. Never admitted it before, but he rocks.

Oh, and best line of episode imo:

"C'mon, it's not rocket science, just quantum physics!"

Such a Doctor thing!

Comment

okay it is the love to hate ep!!

if i could get my fingers around his "Rule #1" neck!!

and Rory ... my hero above all heroes.

Pond was brilliant ... both of her

*head desk*

the angst .... my heart ... *off to pick up the pieces* they are all over the floor i think!

teehee!!
          sigpic
          SCORE!!
          The Babe's Fave Song Tourney ~ Super Sonic Sixties 66/67 ~ Clickie!!

Comment

I really don't understand Older Amy's logic. If I had a way to NOT have to live 36 years by myself, thinking that my husband wasn't coming for me, I'd jump on it in an INSTANT.

Karen and Arthur rock and stuff...whu huu!!
            Why did you do such a thing, you mediocre dunces?

Comment

I thoroughly enjoyed last nights episode! There was some absolutely outstanding acting coming from Matt, Karen, and Arthur. Again another story which featured a very interesting time travel concept coupled with some great character development and interaction between Team TARDIS and also really very funny and action-packed and emotional! Loved it!

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
              K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

watched it today, but my DVR did not record from the beginning, so no idea how it started
                Grimm returns October 24
                sigpic

Signature and Avatar by Hyndara71 - Thank you very much
                Profile Picture by BM-Shipper

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
                  ]

For the person that ask how was she able to build the sonic probe, the computer taught her about the technology and could teach her anything she needed to know by asking the right question in the right way, a
                  If its that easy to build a sonic probe i'd have thought they would be everywhere.

Comment

This episode was hard for me to follow the dialogue.

But 60 year old Amy was pretty miserable.

But being alone for decades will do that to a person.

Comment

Originally posted by PMN1 View Post
                      If its that easy to build a sonic probe i'd have thought they would be everywhere.
                      Sonic devices aren't especially rare in New Who. Just the screwdrivers. And that's only because no-one else looked at a screwdriver and decided it could do with being sonic.

IMO the best lines of the episode where Amy's "Rory is the most beautiful man I've ever met" speach and Rory's "I'm not annoyed you're old, I'm annoyed we didn't grow old together." Both beautiful moments that really show there love.

It's interesting that in Time, Amy seemed far more open to the idea of having a time shifted version of herself hanging out with them.

Comment

In "Time", time-shifted Amy was only off by a few minutes, instead of several decades of abandonment issues and bitterness.

Comment

Hmmmm...

1. Not that original a concept.

2. Why wouldn't the Handbots or those that built them consider the possibility that aliens could show up there?

3. As peeps have said, why wouldn't old-Amy want to undo 36 years of hell? There's screwups even I've made that I'd undo if I could.

4. Thought old Amy was going to give up her life to get the other two back in the TARDIS. Eventually she did but...

OK ep.
                          I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but Rory remembers being a centurian and waiting 2000 years for Amy? He mentioned that he has the memories once IIRC and he recalls them at the end of the two parter to save his wife and his baby.

Amy knows that she is in a different time stream and is thus going faster than everyone else and then she waits 36 years running around and hiding and she is very angry and upset and yells a lot....

I know that Rory is a great guy and doesn't blame Amy for anything, and I know that Rory accepted to wait for her, but he doesn't mention that he waited 2000 years to protect her and yet Amy complains for around 30 mintues that she had to wait 36 years. Personally, everything awesome that "old" Amy did was ruined for me because of, well, "old" Amy.

I agree with knowles2 re: the oddity that neither Amy nor Rory remember their daughter in times when it would be necessary for them too. I have never given birth to nor raised a child let alone birthed one and had it taken away from me and abused but I would imagine that would do some serious damage to your life. I know that Doctor Who can't spend a lot of time on the emotional, but I would like a line or two from either Amy or Rory where they are mourning the loss of their child. They each had around a month to get used to the idea of raising their baby and they never got any of that. And before people complain I know that they know she grows up alive but I doubt that would make a difference. But again I don't know.
                            Parents, if your child was kidnapped and raised by abusive and manipulative people would you be okay with that or would you say "pi$$ off screwing around with time I want to have my baby"?
                            "victimsofninjasayidsaywhat?"
                            "what?"
                            *throat punch*
                            My blog: kathysnumber1blog.blogspot.com
                            LVI now open to all fandoms!!! http://lostvideo.net/

Comment

Originally posted by rosey_angel View Post
                              Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but Rory remembers being a centurian and waiting 2000 years for Amy? He mentioned that he has the memories once IIRC and he recalls them at the end of the two parter to save his wife and his baby.
                              Yep, he definitely has those memories.

Amy knows that she is in a different time stream and is thus going faster than everyone else and then she waits 36 years running around and hiding and she is very angry and upset and yells a lot....

I know that Rory is a great guy and doesn't blame Amy for anything, and I know that Rory accepted to wait for her, but he doesn't mention that he waited 2000 years to protect her and yet Amy complains for around 30 mintues that she had to wait 36 years. Personally, everything awesome that "old" Amy did was ruined for me because of, well, "old" Amy.
                              Which is precisely why I think Rory is awesome and I don't actually like Amy that much - she seems far too self-interested and arrogant to be truly likeable, unlike most previous companions I can think of. Much as I like the stories, the new Doctor and most of the other characters, I won't be remotely unhappy to see Amy go.

I agree with knowles2 re: the oddity that neither Amy nor Rory remember their daughter in times when it would be necessary for them too. I have never given birth to nor raised a child let alone birthed one and had it taken away from me and abused but I would imagine that would do some serious damage to your life. I know that Doctor Who can't spend a lot of time on the emotional, but I would like a line or two from either Amy or Rory where they are mourning the loss of their child. They each had around a month to get used to the idea of raising their baby and they never got any of that. And before people complain I know that they know she grows up alive but I doubt that would make a difference. But again I don't know.

Parents, if your child was kidnapped and raised by abusive and manipulative people would you be okay with that or would you say "pi$$ off screwing around with time I want to have my baby"?
                              I agree, it must be horrific in the extreme, and this is one of the few times I think Moffat may have shot himself in the foot plot-wise. If you have just had your baby abducted, I don't think gallavanting around the universe is the right answer. Maybe they are actively trying to find her and it just hasn't been made clear, maybe their new nature as time travellers gives them a degree of comfort, knowing that they may yet find her and get to properly raise her from a baby (though the episodes with Mels and space suit girl suggest otherwise), but still, it does feel a little off.
                              And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
                              sigpic
                              Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Yeah, but Rory chose to wait and he did it to for a cause. Amy on the other hand was forced to wait, was told they be five minutes and felt abandoned. On top of her already huge massive abandonment issues.

]

I can justify it by thinking that really they never got time to think of Melody as their child. There wasn't nine months of pregnancy, Amy just woke up and suddenly she was going into labour. Then she had the child at most a day and it was taking away again. Sure on an intellectual level they know she's their child and feel angry and sad about what just happened, but I feel that on an emotional level there was no time to form a bond.
                                But again this is just speculation, who knows how people feel when you take away their baby when they never knew they were pregnant.

Comment

Working...
                                X