Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast

Thread: Night Terrors (3209)

Default Re: Night Terrors (3209)

Were my eyes playing tricks on me, or did I see the raincoat Daniel Mays wore in Ashes To Ashes hanging up behind a door in the flat?

Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
    To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
    And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Quote Originally Posted by BruTak View Post
    Were my eyes playing tricks on me, or did I see the raincoat Daniel Mays wore in Ashes To Ashes hanging up behind a door in the flat?
    I didn't see that, but I couldn't get Ashes to Ashes out of my head ....

This ep has me torn.

On the one hand, creepiest villains ever. Seriously. For the first time Doctor Who has actually left me with a slight chill down my spine.

On the other hand, there was a lot of crap. The old woman, the way she got pulled into the rubbish bins. Why would a little boy in this day and age have a WOODEN dolls house. What will happen to George as he grows up? As has been previously mentioned, it was a very disjointed episode.

There was a very sweet ending with George and his dad, but, still....

Staff Sergeant

loved the episode... gets very scary if you watch it at 1am and you hear a noise coming from the kitchen while watching it...and the song at the end...tick tock goes the clock, even for the doctor... brilliant

Quote Originally Posted by Lant3an View Post
    loved the episode... gets very scary if you watch it at 1am and you hear a noise coming from the kitchen while watching it...and the song at the end...tick tock goes the clock, even for the doctor... brilliant
    This proves again something Iv'e known for a while and delighted in proving to people in my class when I was at school: singing a nursery rhyme or something with a similar rhythm in a child-like voice and manner is creepy as hell.

I used to terrify my classmates at school with it, even my drama teacher It was hilarious.
    If found, is probably lost on the way to Azaroth or the Pegasus Galaxy

Travelling in The TARDIS with The Doctor & Clara

Quote Originally Posted by Lant3an View Post
    I forgot to mention the rhyme at the end in my last post. Yeah, that was incredibly clever, a wee bit creepy, and a nice bit of foreboding for what is in store for the Doctor.
    THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering
    DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD, THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES, K-9, and much more...

Major General Pharaoh Hamenthotep's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flyboy View Post
    Why would a little boy in this day and age have a WOODEN dolls house.
    Passed down through the family? It was wood.. not plastic so it could have belonged to his grandparents or great-grandparents..

I loved this ep. Was nice to see Amy turned into a wooden doll. (not a big Amy fan)
    no means no, and so does pepper spray
    Sig by The Carpenter

Chief Master Sergeant

1) they still make wooden doll houses, even today. True, they're not the easiest ones to find, but they're still fairly populous.

2) The Doctor explained what would happen to the kid as he grew up. Puberty would be interesting, but it would become whatever his parents wanted from him.

My eldest niece (now 18) had a wooden dollhouse when she was wee. Hand made by a friend of my dad IIRC.

I kind of assumed that George's dollhouse had belonged to his mum.

Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
    To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
    And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

I thought this was a fun and creepy episode, took me back a few seasons to when DW was less of a "story arc" mode
    <a href=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/spimman/media/Sig1_zps2497bbad.jpg.html target=_blank><a href=http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y202/spimman/Sig1_zps2497bbad.jpg target=_blank>http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y20...ps2497bbad.jpg</a></a>

I feel really sorry for Mark Gatiss. I think in an ordinary show his writing would be considered to be quite good, but when his episode is put on next to one of Steven Moffat's, it looks pretty mediocre.

I liked the peg dolls very much - they were deliciously creepy, and I loved how Rory automatically assumed he had died (again) I also loved the list of the Doctor's favourite books.

Incidentally I thought the dolls house probably belonged to George's Mum as well.

I gave this episode 6/10. Good creepy episode but didn't quite hit the spot for me.

Doctor Who next episode - "In the Forest of the Night", Saturday 25th October, BBC1, 8.20 pm

First Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
    Awful episode.
    That's what I was saying *before* I watched the eppy (due to seeing the preview commercials for it)..! EEEEEEEEEEEK! I hate creepy. Seen that sort of doll stuff in an old "Trilogy of Terror" (type of) film from some troll doll that came to life and terrorized the life out of its owner.

What made this story different, aside from the alien kid aspect, was that when the existing wooden doll touched a human, the human turned into a wooden doll as well.
    Poor Amy. But somehow, I figured she'd have to get turned back into being human again. I wasn't sure about the others, but Amy has a few more eps before she moves on to another job. So, I had high hopes for at least Amy.

Also, the overall story result was better than I expected.
    I didn't want to watch it at all, but my hubby did want to see it (actually, he had no idea what the story was about, but I had already seen the previews, and dreaded the worst).. so we watched it together.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyboy View Post
    ...This ep has me torn.

On the one hand, creepiest villains ever. Seriously. For the first time Doctor Who has actually left me with a slight chill down my spine...
    Yes.. creepy villians (the wooden dolls). But my first super scariest Doctor Who eppy was a Tom Baker era one, where some guy turned into a giant tree and with its *tentacle* branches killed people. It also telepathically caused other plants to turn against the humans, as well. That was basically the 2nd ep of DW I ever saw, (first one was "Ark in Space" with the WIRN, where humans turned into giant wasps), with the freaky tree story one next (out of viewing order??).

I swore back then in the early 1980's that no wonder kids were having nightmares with Tv/movie shows like that!
    I also only saw bits and pieces of those eps, so I did not know who the Doctor was, nor that the entire show was an amazing time traveling story into any direction and story type ever imagined. Beautiful Sarah Jane Smith helped set me straight on that.. along with my mom who was addicted to watching the series every week (including any reruns), too.
    Last edited by SGalisa; September 5th, 2011 at 10:34 AM.

Somewhere in the Stargate and Doctor Who Universe

Tick tock goes the clock
    And what now shall we play?
    Tick tock goes the clock
    Now summer’s gone away? (Missing from video)

Tick tock goes the clock
    And what then shall we see?
    Tick tock until the day
    That thou shalt marry me

Tick tock goes the clock
    And all the years they fly
    Tick tock and all too soon
    You and I must die

Tick tock goes the clock
    We laughed at fate and mourned her
    Tick tock goes the clock
    Even for the Doctor

Tick tock goes the clock
    He cradled her and he rocked her
    Tick tock goes the clock
    Even for the Doctor…

Heres a full version of the song at the end...

Stargate SG1 - 1997 - 2007_______________Stargate Atlantis - 2004 - 2009
    Stargate Universe - 2009 - 2011_________Sanctuary - 2008 - 2012
    Merlin - 2008 - 2012_________________Star Wars The Clone Wars - 2008 - 2013
    Doctor Who - 1963 - Present ___________Torchwood - 2006 - Present
    The Walking Dead - 2010 - Present__________Falling Skies - 2011 - Present
    And many more... (Game of Thrones, Person of Interest, NCIS, Sleepy Hollow, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D, Under the Dome, Atlantis, Arrow, The Flash, Gotham)

Doctor Who Season 8 - Currently on!_________________The Walking Dead Season 5 - Currently on!
    Falling Skies Final Season - Cant wait!_________________ Game of Thrones Season 5 - Cant wait!
    Person of Interest Season 4 - Currently on!_________________ Sleepy Hollow Season 2 - Currently on!

This was a good episode, although I wondered throughout the entire thing why it took the parents so long to get the poor kid some help. I was kind of hoping that it would turn out there was some sort of alien/psychic thing tapping into his already different brain. The sudden fears, the continuous flicking of the lights, the twitched... I was yelling at the screen that the poor kid has OCD.

But apart from that, it was quite a good ep. I too figured out quite early on that it was a dollhouse and wondered why Amy didn't. As for George having one I thought it was his mum's. I didn't get that the kid was an alien, but then I was thinking it would be something else, like I said above.

Good ep, love the song
    "victimsofninjasayidsaywhat?"
    "what?"
    *throat punch*
    My blog: kathysnumber1blog.blogspot.com
    LVI now open to all fandoms!!! http://lostvideo.net/

Probie

Quote Originally Posted by Sealurk View Post
    See, I always figured that the Doctor chose/built/designed the sonic screwdriver, in all its incarnations, because it couldn't possibly hurt or affect a living thing except to scan - it cannot truly be used as a weapon. Maybe that's the root of its being useless on wood, since wood is an organic, cellular substance that was once alive.

Bit tenuous, I know, but its the best theory I can come up with.
    We've seen the sonic used in a variety of ways on organics other than simply to scan; e.g. the minor heal function in Vampires of Venice, the frequency that made the beast in the Vincent episode 'happy', etc. The "anti-offensive" nature of it is a good thought, but manipulating wood doesn't have to necessarily be damaging or warping it, so in the right (or most) situation(s) it shouldn't really be considered an offensive action.

Quote Originally Posted by Teddybrown View Post
    Heres a full version of the song at the end...
    That rhyme almost makes me want to bump my rating up a half point. Thanks for posting the whole thing.

I do love a good, haunting, nursery rhyme. Although "haunting nursery rhyme" that might be a bit redundant... (like Rock-a-bye-baby! seriously!).

Doctor Who continues its ability to scare the willies out of me

I had to laugh at the clowns reference when Alex was listing off the things George is afraid of (what was the Doctor's reply? "Don't blame him"? Something like that) as it was a classic Who story that made me terrified of them!

Not bad. Some holes, but not bad. I liked the dolls especially. Frakkin' creepy!

Chief Master Sergeant

@Lahela:

He said "Understandable" in a long, drawn-out way.

Quote Originally Posted by jameshawking View Post
    @Lahela:

He said "Understandable" in a long, drawn-out way.
    Thanks I haven't had time for a rewatch yet. He's right, of course!