My Journey through Babylon 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Babylon 5: Thirdspace

I thought this was a pretty solid stand alone movie. The idea was interesting and it was nice to see some more Vorlon-related events take place. Although the absence of Londo and G'kar was missed, it was clear they would not have much to contribute to this story line. Even Delenn seemed to be pretty limited in the movie. It was nice to see Ivanova back though. I think the movie seemed to be directed in such a way that even someone who hasn't watched B5 could follow along without getting lost.

One of the scenes I liked most was Zack and Lyta in the elevator, it was fun to watch. I think it also adds to what we've seen in a couple of other episodes, and that is Zack likes Lyta and probably wants to ask her out. Speaking of which, it seems that once again Lyta (although under Vorlon influence) helped the B5 station overcome a crisis.

The Vorlon (and Shadow) arrogance became evident once again here. They carry the same kind of attitude as the Ancients in Stargate. It seems that this is a requirement once you become a technologically advanced race, regardless of the Sci-Fi universe you are in. I was surprised that they admitted to this in the recording that Lyta revealed to Sheridan and Delenn.

Not much else to say here, as there doesn't seem to be any continuity effects on the main B5 story line from this movie.
    sigpic

Comment

No effects at all, you're right.

It occupies kind of a strange place in the timing of the B5-verse though, making it difficult to peg down when to peg it chronologically. Zack was wearing his new black uniform in Thirdspace, and Dr Franklin was in the movie too... But Zack was getting fitted for the new uniform in the first few minutes of 4.09, and in that same episode, Dr Franklin left for Mars with Marcus.

So it seems that it takes place about 10 minutes into 4.09; but then, an unreasonable amount of time seems to pass in the movie vs. the events in the show's episode that would be happening before and after.

Kind of a nuisance
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
        How on Earth do you figure?
        J. Michael Straczynski created a universe as a diverse as Star trek, created dozens of races. He created a universe with a great deal of depth, probably greater than that of Star trek it self, there at least 2 million years of history to explore.
        An yet it had 2 failed spin of shows, the last novel was written about a decade a go, no new films or materials on the horizon.

Babylon 5 as a franchise and as a universe has been badly mishandle, not of it was J. Michael Straczynski fault but some of the blame lay with him on why we do not have a franchise still produce fresh new material.

Comment

You're....highlighting all of its strengths, and calling them weaknesses?

It got to tell a story over five seasons--unheard-of in televisionland. It got 6 DVD movies. It got a spin-off. It has a couple dozen comics. It has a dozen or so canon books, and about another dozen or so non-canon. That's a tremendous amount of achievements for any given franchise.

No, it isn't comparable to Star Trek or Star Wars. Very little is; those are both absolute giants of not just sci-fi, but icons of pop culture at large. Even Stargate, with 17 seasons and 3 movies, was never able to reach as high as Trek or Wars.

It's only really comparable with things more in its own league of niche accomplishment; things like The 4400, Farscape, Firefly, Fringe, Heroes, Stargate, that level of popularity.
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

You're....highlighting all of its strengths, and calling them weaknesses?

It got to tell a story over five seasons--unheard-of in televisionland. It got 6 DVD movies. It got a spin-off. It has a couple dozen comics. It has a dozen or so canon books, and about another dozen or so non-canon. That's a tremendous amount of achievements for any given franchise.

No, it isn't comparable to Star Trek or Star Wars. Very little is; those are both absolute giants of not just sci-fi, but icons of pop culture at large. Even Stargate, with 17 seasons and 3 movies, was never able to reach as high as Trek or Wars.
            I'm a lot more into SW than Trek, and honestly, I don't think that is a bad thing. In SW I almost stopped reading EU books and novels. Some of the authors seem to have no idea about who the characters are and what would be consistent lines of action for them. And I'm talking about canon books. B5 even with some inconsistencies, seems to have a cohesive enough story. I'm still to watch the films and Crusade, though. I'll get to them in a week. Anyway: in this case less might be more.
            sigpic
            Beautiful signature and avatar by Yamiinsane. You're a mind reader!
            Aristides de Sousa Mendes

Comment

Originally posted by JadedWraith View Post
              I'm a lot more into SW than Trek, and honestly, I don't think that is a bad thing. In SW I almost stopped reading EU books and novels. Some of the authors seem to have no idea about who the characters are and what would be consistent lines of action for them. And I'm talking about canon books. B5 even with some inconsistencies, seems to have a cohesive enough story. I'm still to watch the films and Crusade, though. I'll get to them in a week. Anyway: in this case less might be more.
              Crusade had the potential to be as epic as B5 but alas, that whole thing was nixed. I'll comment more when you watch the show. I think you'll love Galen.
              sigpic

Comment

I really like Crusade, I wish it had gone on for its full run. It had such a....vaguely spooky, almost Star Trek TOS-esque 'we're the only civilization out here in the middle of nowhere' feel to it. The whole thing was practically oozing with potential, which you can especially see when you see the synopses of the scripts of upcoming episodes that were either already completed or in some stage of being written. It's kind of sad, really.

We need to get to work figuring out how to travel to the red universe. Maybe it ran its course there

Comment

Its a strange feeling after finishing a long series. Usually I always have the next episode to look forward to but no more. There are still some movies and a short series to watch though so at least there's that

I'm going to watch A Call to Arms and then start watching Crusade. I looked up Crusade on IMDB and I couldn't believe that Gary Cole is one of the main characters. I've only seen that actor in comedies and most memorably Office Space, a role that he will forever be associated with no matter what else he's in. "Uh yeaaa...Peter.."
                  sigpic

Comment

When you dive into Crusade, be aware that there are differing opinions on watching order largely due to TNT meddling with the series and not letting JMS work it the way he wanted.

Personally, I think that the Chronological one works the best. It has a couple of its own issues, but it resolves the bigger continuity flubs that happen if you try it out in other ways.

Comment

When you dive into Crusade, be aware that there are differing opinions on watching order largely due to TNT meddling with the series and not letting JMS work it the way he wanted.

Personally, I think that the Chronological one works the best. It has a couple of its own issues, but it resolves the bigger continuity flubs that happen if you try it out in other ways.
                      Unfortunately, I'm watching those in the order they were aired. No problem, I'm used to non linear storytelling...sigh...whatever you want to call it. Uh, I'm watching the B5 films as well, so I immersed in this for a while and not sure when I can resurface My room is full of boxes of sci-fi series dvds. There goes any slight chance of having a social life
                      sigpic

Comment

hehehe - if it weren't for the fact that you have to go out for work and/or school...
                        sigpic

Comment

I've recently re-discovered B5. Mainly down to the fact that the FX channel here in the UK is repeating the series. And I'm remembering all sorts of things that I'd thought I'd forgotten. I only hope that they repeat Crusade, as there are some episodes that I missed.
                          "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
                          Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
                          Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
                          Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
                          I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
                          To thy own self... Be true
                          May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Good for you! I hope you enjoy it Starfist. Luckily I have the DVDs of everything including The Lost Tales.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Starfist View Post
                              I've recently re-discovered B5. Mainly down to the fact that the FX channel here in the UK is repeating the series. And I'm remembering all sorts of things that I'd thought I'd forgotten. I only hope that they repeat Crusade, as there are some episodes that I missed.
                              I have rewatched recently them as well, although I only discovered Crusade quite recently.
                              What you all have to keep in mind in that I watched mainly season 1 and two of B5, I had a vague memory of seasons 3-4 and then some episodes of season 5 and that was 15 or more years ago (after 1996). I liked the idea of the seedy parts of the station, bad neighbourhoods in this supposedly very technological and ideal diplomatic centre station.I had the idea of a multicultural space station, more than I remembered the prophecies story lines, which are develloped fully in seasons 3-4.

So I discovered a lot in this recent rewatching.

Originally posted by maneth View Post
                              Good for you! I hope you enjoy it Starfist. Luckily I have the DVDs of everything including The Lost Tales.
                              I got the full collection as well. Finished the films and now I am going through the episodes commentary. When it's the actors turn to comment, it's pretty hysterical.

I feel a bit like a sci-fi orphan right now. There isn't a show today that captures my sense of wonder currently. Don't get me wrong, I would hate that storytelling would be crystalized in the 1990-early 2000s fashion but I feel current shows are obsessed with doom and gloom and surprising the viewer with yet another plot twist that the storylines became tangled and go nowhere.
                              Not even they go nowhere in a interesting way
                              I'm hopeful to find the show which will prove me wrong.
                              sigpic

Comment

Hey everyone! I just started my Babylon 5 journey, few days ago - after I finished my BSG rewatch So, I really like the show so far, interesting stories, great characters and good performances. I'm looking forward to the next episodes!

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X