Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1623242526 27 LastLast

Thread: My Journey through Babylon 5

Default Re: My Journey through Babylon 5

Quote Originally Posted by JadedWraith View Post
    I'm a lot more into SW than Trek, and honestly, I don't think that is a bad thing. In SW I almost stopped reading EU books and novels. Some of the authors seem to have no idea about who the characters are and what would be consistent lines of action for them. And I'm talking about canon books. B5 even with some inconsistencies, seems to have a cohesive enough story. I'm still to watch the films and Crusade, though. I'll get to them in a week. Anyway: in this case less might be more.
    Crusade had the potential to be as epic as B5 but alas, that whole thing was nixed. I'll comment more when you watch the show. I think you'll love Galen.

I really like Crusade, I wish it had gone on for its full run. It had such a....vaguely spooky, almost Star Trek TOS-esque 'we're the only civilization out here in the middle of nowhere' feel to it. The whole thing was practically oozing with potential, which you can especially see when you see the synopses of the scripts of upcoming episodes that were either already completed or in some stage of being written. It's kind of sad, really.

We need to get to work figuring out how to travel to the red universe. Maybe it ran its course there

Eighth Doctor revisit: The Stones of Venice

Its a strange feeling after finishing a long series. Usually I always have the next episode to look forward to but no more. There are still some movies and a short series to watch though so at least there's that

I'm going to watch A Call to Arms and then start watching Crusade. I looked up Crusade on IMDB and I couldn't believe that Gary Cole is one of the main characters. I've only seen that actor in comedies and most memorably Office Space, a role that he will forever be associated with no matter what else he's in. "Uh yeaaa...Peter.."

When you dive into Crusade, be aware that there are differing opinions on watching order largely due to TNT meddling with the series and not letting JMS work it the way he wanted.

Personally, I think that the Chronological one works the best. It has a couple of its own issues, but it resolves the bigger continuity flubs that happen if you try it out in other ways.

Eighth Doctor revisit: The Stones of Venice

Beautiful Icon by Ikorni/Hussie extaordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by DigiFluid View Post
    When you dive into Crusade, be aware that there are differing opinions on watching order largely due to TNT meddling with the series and not letting JMS work it the way he wanted.

Personally, I think that the Chronological one works the best. It has a couple of its own issues, but it resolves the bigger continuity flubs that happen if you try it out in other ways.
    Unfortunately, I'm watching those in the order they were aired. No problem, I'm used to non linear storytelling...sigh...whatever you want to call it. Uh, I'm watching the B5 films as well, so I immersed in this for a while and not sure when I can resurface My room is full of boxes of sci-fi series dvds. There goes any slight chance of having a social life
    http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr178/JadedWraith_Queen/Richard/RA_StormyLost2_zpsa983d1e9.jpg]
    Thank you, Ikorni, for the wonderful Icon

Disclaimer: If you recognize the pic,probably I sto...borrowed it from you. I don't own any pics, I just spam them with pride.

hehehe - if it weren't for the fact that you have to go out for work and/or school...

The Unfashionable End of the Western Spiral Arm..!

I've recently re-discovered B5. Mainly down to the fact that the FX channel here in the UK is repeating the series. And I'm remembering all sorts of things that I'd thought I'd forgotten. I only hope that they repeat Crusade, as there are some episodes that I missed.
    "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
    Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
    Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
    Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
    I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
    To thy own self... Be true
    May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Exploring space and time with the 9th doctor

Good for you! I hope you enjoy it Starfist. Luckily I have the DVDs of everything including The Lost Tales.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v106/manephelien/avatars/deadtribbles.jpg

Beautiful Icon by Ikorni/Hussie extaordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by Starfist View Post
    I've recently re-discovered B5. Mainly down to the fact that the FX channel here in the UK is repeating the series. And I'm remembering all sorts of things that I'd thought I'd forgotten. I only hope that they repeat Crusade, as there are some episodes that I missed.
    I have rewatched recently them as well, although I only discovered Crusade quite recently.
    What you all have to keep in mind in that I watched mainly season 1 and two of B5, I had a vague memory of seasons 3-4 and then some episodes of season 5 and that was 15 or more years ago (after 1996). I liked the idea of the seedy parts of the station, bad neighbourhoods in this supposedly very technological and ideal diplomatic centre station.I had the idea of a multicultural space station, more than I remembered the prophecies story lines, which are develloped fully in seasons 3-4.

So I discovered a lot in this recent rewatching.

Quote Originally Posted by maneth View Post
    Good for you! I hope you enjoy it Starfist. Luckily I have the DVDs of everything including The Lost Tales.
    I got the full collection as well. Finished the films and now I am going through the episodes commentary. When it's the actors turn to comment, it's pretty hysterical.

I feel a bit like a sci-fi orphan right now. There isn't a show today that captures my sense of wonder currently. Don't get me wrong, I would hate that storytelling would be crystalized in the 1990-early 2000s fashion but I feel current shows are obsessed with doom and gloom and surprising the viewer with yet another plot twist that the storylines became tangled and go nowhere.
    Not even they go nowhere in a interesting way
    I'm hopeful to find the show which will prove me wrong.
    http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr178/JadedWraith_Queen/Richard/RA_StormyLost2_zpsa983d1e9.jpg]
    Thank you, Ikorni, for the wonderful Icon

Disclaimer: If you recognize the pic,probably I sto...borrowed it from you. I don't own any pics, I just spam them with pride.

Air Force Chief of Staff Mr.MacGadget's Avatar

Hey everyone! I just started my Babylon 5 journey, few days ago - after I finished my BSG rewatch So, I really like the show so far, interesting stories, great characters and good performances. I'm looking forward to the next episodes!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.MacGadget View Post
    Hey everyone! I just started my Babylon 5 journey, few days ago - after I finished my BSG rewatch So, I really like the show so far, interesting stories, great characters and good performances. I'm looking forward to the next episodes!
    That's cool, I'm sure you'll love it

Suffer the dream of a world gone mad, I like it like that and I know it.
    - R.E.M.

Yeh, I did love DS9, and this show seems to have the same type of storyline, style etc., so it should be good

Call me prejudiced, but I find B5 to be superior

Me too, even if I consider myself a Trekkie.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.MacGadget View Post
    MAC! Glad to see you working your way through B5. Where are you in the storyline right now? Season 1?

Second Lieutenant

I was re-watching it and reviewing it for my site, but, I dunno, I just kinda' stalled out at the end of season 2 this time.

Yep, in the middle of season 1! last episode I saw was Signs and Portents...I like this backstory of Sinclair, I bet that's gonna be a great story, about his role in the Earth - Minbari war... but don't give me any details! I want to be surprised!

You will be, I guarantee it. Enjoy!

I do. I also like that the characters are real, I mean more real than in lots of other sci-fi shows. Cause you know, usually we get the big heroes and the baaaad guys, but this time, these characters has some flaws, that's what make a sci-fi great for me. Like in DS9 or BSG etc. Probably the only exception of the 'heroes and bad guys' is SG, cause that heroism is just so honest IMO, I never felt like it was too much... but end of line, cause this is not SG but B5 thread

How far along are you now?