My Journey through Babylon 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Journey through Babylon 5

I decided to take the plunge and give this show a try. I've heard many things about it over the years but I never watched a single episode so I don't know anything about anything. I hope to offer a view of the show from a newbie's perspective.

So to start it off...

Babylon 5: The Gathering

I like the concept of the show, all the main alien races on one station really offers a wide variety of interesting story lines. For a TV movie that is to be an intro to a series I found The Gathering to be decent, but lots of room for improvement. One thing that really stood out was the acting. It wasn't great and I found it to be bland throughout. Despite this I see potential in some of these characters, and I'm hoping the actors grow into them as the series progresses.

I did read that one of the main characters, Takashima, would not be appearing in the series at all. I was a little surprised because I thought the character could have been an interesting one, even though the acting was subpar in the movie. Something about a re-loop, not sure exactly what happened.

Moving on to some of the other personalities. I think Garibaldi will be a favourite going forward. By far one of the most interesting characters. Same with Londo. These two were entertaining. The lead character, Sinclair could use some work. I found the actor to be expressionless even when he was trying not to be.

One thing I think I had a brain freeze when it happened, but who shot Garibaldi? Or is that revealed in the series?

This movie was enough to convince me to give the rest of the series a shot and that is what I plan to do. I do watch quite a few other shows though so I won't have time for more than a few episodes a week. I'll update when I do.
    sigpic

As someone who has lived with Babylon 5 for a very long time now, about 18 years, there is so much I have to say about the show. However, I'll let you experience the awe, wonder, and appreciation for yourself.

You're correct about Laurel Takashima. She doesn't appear in the series. I was never quite clear on the exact reason why. I've heard things about the actress' availability, contracts, and all manner of other things. However, the character that ended up replacing her is much, much better.

Of all the human characters, Garibaldi is by far my favorite because he's the one I sympathize and empathize with the most, particularly his adventures (or misadventures) upholding the law. I've worked alongside a number of people who talk, think, and act just like Garibaldi. He's a very likable guy for me. He's smarter and more knowledgeable than he appears to be.

The one who shot Garibaldi in "The Gathering" is that Minbari warrior from the Wind Swords clan. He was using the changeling net so at the first viewing it could seem very confusing.
    Last edited by Cold Fuzz; 25 August 2011, 07:59 PM.
    sigpic

Comment

Something else which is great about B-5 is the quality of the secondary characters, most of whom you have yet to see.

The quality of the casting, direction, writing and acting for these non-star characters is very high, something which makes the action involving the main cast all the better.

regards,
      G.

Q. How many Vorlons does it take to change a lightbulb?
      A. Kosh.
      Go for Marty...

Comment

You're in for a truly awesome ride. Enjoy it!

Don't worry if the show seems to start slow in the early part of the first season, it'll pick up later so it pays to persevere. You're going to see hints early on of events that culminate in the 3rd and 4th seasons.

Knock, knock!
        Who's there?
        Kosh.
        Kosh who?
        Bless you!
        sigpic

Comment

Nice. It's always good to see someone giving B5 a go. Enjoy the show!
          "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

1x01 - Midnight on the Firing Line

My favourite part of this episode is actually near the end when the telepath and the Lt. Offered some insight into the whole telepath story line and what to expect from it. I find the idea pretty interesting and I hope that it plays a larger role in this series.

The rest of the episode was alright. Good way to re-introduce some of the characters and set up for the series. Lots of possibilities for conflict between all these different races that seemed to have been at war at one time or another. Bring on the next episode.
            sigpic

Comment

1x02 - The Soul Hunter

I enjoyed this episode, it had sort of a Farscape-vibe to it that I liked. We get to learn more about the Munbari as well which was good. I didn't quite get why the Munbari didn't want the Soul Hunters to get the souls? And it also seemed like the purpose of the Soul Hunters is innocent enough, if all they do is show up when someone important is dying and preserve their souls.

I'm wondering if this show is episodic or is it story arc based? Right now it looks like the movie and first 2 episodes have not been arc-based.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by magictrick View Post
                1x01 - Midnight on the Firing Line

My favourite part of this episode is actually near the end when the telepath and the Lt. Offered some insight into the whole telepath story line and what to expect from it. I find the idea pretty interesting and I hope that it plays a larger role in this series.

The rest of the episode was alright. Good way to re-introduce some of the characters and set up for the series. Lots of possibilities for conflict between all these different races that seemed to have been at war at one time or another. Bring on the next episode.
                This episode sets in motion a large number of character arcs, not the least of which is the mutual loathing between Ambassadors G'Kar and Mollari. That personal antagonism between the two of them and the hatred they feel for each other's races motivates much of their choices. The intriguing thing is, from their own points of view, they are both correct. But to a human or a Minbari, or even a Vorlon, it's a ticket for destruction.

1x02 - The Soul Hunter

I enjoyed this episode, it had sort of a Farscape-vibe to it that I liked. We get to learn more about the Munbari as well which was good. I didn't quite get why the Munbari didn't want the Soul Hunters to get the souls? And it also seemed like the purpose of the Soul Hunters is innocent enough, if all they do is show up when someone important is dying and preserve their souls.

I'm wondering if this show is episodic or is it story arc based? Right now it looks like the movie and first 2 episodes have not been arc-based.
                Oh, I wouldn't say that the Soul Hunters are innocent at all, especially if the dying are not given a choice in being preserved or not. The Soul Hunters and their entire mission are debated thoroughly in the B5 movie River of Souls. Now this episode may seem innocuous enough but the Minbari concept of the soul is a theme that gets reiterated throughout the series, sometimes in spectacular fashion.

Just to give you an idea about how almost universally disliked Soul Hunters are, JMS has said in interviews that the Soul Hunters learned the hard way not to mess around with Vorlons...
                sigpic

Comment

I tended to find myself sympathising more with Mollari at the beginning of the series.

I'd say yes and yes. It was the blend of both that made the show such a winner with me. Many episodes do appear to be self-contained, but... I think it'd be better to let the series unfold before your eyes.
                  "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

Originally posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
                    Oh, I wouldn't say that the Soul Hunters are innocent at all, especially if the dying are not given a choice in being preserved or not. The Soul Hunters and their entire mission are debated thoroughly in the B5 movie River of Souls. Now this episode may seem innocuous enough but the Minbari concept of the soul is a theme that gets reiterated throughout the series, sometimes in spectacular fashion.

Just to give you an idea about how almost universally disliked Soul Hunters are, JMS has said in interviews that the Soul Hunters learned the hard way not to mess around with Vorlons...
                    That's cool to know. I thought the Soul Hunter idea was a pretty cool concept so I'm glad to hear I will get to see more of them in the future. Right now the Vorlons seem like a mystery but I'm sure they will be explored in the episodes to come.
                    sigpic

Comment

That's cool to know. I thought the Soul Hunter idea was a pretty cool concept so I'm glad to hear I will get to see more of them in the future. Right now the Vorlons seem like a mystery but I'm sure they will be explored in the episodes to come.
                      The Soul Hunters and their background aren't really expounded upon except in River of Souls. The Vorlons, however, are a different story. Without giving anything away, you'll eventually learn what the Vorlons represent. More importantly though, you'll eventually come to understand how they want themselves to be perceived by others, what they truly are, and the difference between the two.
                      sigpic

Comment

1x03 - Born to the Purple

After watching this episode I'm trying to understand how big the space station actually is. I feel like the officers in charge would know of most of the shady people and suspects that are lurking around. But judging from this episode it seems like they don't. Who is that insect looking alien that always provides information?

As for the episode itself it was ok. I guess Londo's assistant is supposed to provide some comic relief but I don't think it worked well. I mean, who plays games at the negotiating table when an entire race's future is at stake? That part didn't work for me.

Got to learn more about Ivanova which was good. Now I think it is time to learn more about the telepath lady.
                        sigpic

Comment

1x03 - Born to the Purple

After watching this episode I'm trying to understand how big the space station actually is. I feel like the officers in charge would know of most of the shady people and suspects that are lurking around. But judging from this episode it seems like they don't. Who is that insect looking alien that always provides information?

As for the episode itself it was ok. I guess Londo's assistant is supposed to provide some comic relief but I don't think it worked well. I mean, who plays games at the negotiating table when an entire race's future is at stake? That part didn't work for me.

Got to learn more about Ivanova which was good. Now I think it is time to learn more about the telepath lady.
                          With B5's security situation, you've essentially got a police force that's having to manage 250,000 people. I don't remember offhand how large their security force is but they're essentially policing a large city in space. That's no small task, even if the station is enclosed. With humans and non-humans constantly going in and out of B5, it's no surprise to me that there would be cracks in the system. n'grath (the insectoid) is one of them. I'm sure by this point Garibaldi and his people have been trying to get rid of n'grath for a while but as with all investigative work, it's not about what you suspect or know. It's all about what you can prove.

I'm sure that Sinclair and Garibaldi would like nothing more than to get rid of n'grath and his ilk but having the legal proof to clean them out is tricky. It's like a police force today going up against organized crime: You have to build a case and then prosecute. But if n'grath and his cronies are as slick as they claim to be, that's a tall order for any police force.

With Ivanova's back story, you'll see it expand more and more, and you'll see exactly why she is the way she is. She and Delenn are my favorite female characters. But Ivanova in particular has been through a lot and I greatly sympathize with her character.
                          sigpic

Comment

1x04 - Infection

Not much to say on this episode. I probably should rewatch the last 15 mins or so because I was really sleepy and its a little bit of a blur right now.

I think the security seems pretty lax to allow someone to smuggle goods into the station so easily. This episode sort of reminded me of the SG-1 with the ancient Aztec relic that gives superhuman powers if you're around it too long. I liked that they had an episode that was more focused on a supporting character (the doctor). Its nice when a show explores all characters in some capacity as opposed to just having them wallpapered.

1x05 - The Parliament of Dreams

I liked that this episode had some humor mixed in with an otherwise grave situation. Again, I also liked that they are exploring all the supporting characters, this time G'kar.

I don't know how I feel about the commander's story line with his ex in this episode, but I definitely thought the actress was hot

Five episodes in and they all seem to be stand alone. I don't see an ongoing story arc yet but from what I understand that will be coming.
                            sigpic

Comment

1x04 - Infection

Not much to say on this episode. I probably should rewatch the last 15 mins or so because I was really sleepy and its a little bit of a blur right now.

I think the security seems pretty lax to allow someone to smuggle goods into the station so easily. This episode sort of reminded me of the SG-1 with the ancient Aztec relic that gives superhuman powers if you're around it too long. I liked that they had an episode that was more focused on a supporting character (the doctor). Its nice when a show explores all characters in some capacity as opposed to just having them wallpapered.

1x05 - The Parliament of Dreams

I liked that this episode had some humor mixed in with an otherwise grave situation. Again, I also liked that they are exploring all the supporting characters, this time G'kar.

I don't know how I feel about the commander's story line with his ex in this episode, but I definitely thought the actress was hot

Five episodes in and they all seem to be stand alone. I don't see an ongoing story arc yet but from what I understand that will be coming.
                              I would re-watch the final 15 minutes of Infection. There's some interesting stuff there, especially about organic technology. You'll find the revelations about Interplanetary Expeditions interesting as well. This episode marks the beginning of a recurring theme with EarthForce: The obsession with acquiring advanced tech.

Parliament of Dreams was a hoot, especially with the nasty send-off G'Kar and Na'Toth give the assassin.

Regarding a story arc: Individually, these episodes seem like they're not part of an arc but all of them are. They're laying the foundations for episodes that will build upon what you see now. For example: The organic tech ideas in Infection occur over and over again... but with different aliens in the picture. The Minbari rebirth ceremony, as well as Valen and a lot of Minbari religion, get expounded upon extensively. And yes, you'll see Catherine Sakai again very soon. Mind War, the next episode, kicks off some interesting ideas. The big one though is episode 13, Signs and Portents.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X