Blu-ray release to contain a new edit, again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blu-ray release to contain a new edit, again

See The Digital Bits blog for a run-down on what's to be expected from the 9/16 blu-ray release.

Many of the editing mistakes in sound and picture that made their way into the 2004 DVD release have been fixed. Sadly there's no original theater version of the Original Trilogy. Lots of new exciting extras are also included.

Oh dear, I guess I'm going to have to get these...
    sigpic

No original version = no purchase for me.

I have the Special Edition version of the movies on VHS and DVD. I'm not forking out £35 for the same thing for a third time.

sigpic

Comment

Only the third time SB? This will be the fifth for me Original version VHS, Special Edition VHS, 2004 DVD boxset, theatrical versions DVDs, and now this. I'm extremely unhappy about there not being a theatrical version either now or for the forseeable future, but the DVDs look so friggin' BAD on a decent TV that I'll get this just to make the movies watchable again.
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

It would be fourth but I was holding off on getting the Theatrical DVDs because I wanted them on Blu-Ray. Would have gotten them at release, but at the time it didn't seem worth full price as I had heard there were some problems with the transfer. The HD "war" seemed like a good reason to hold off on getting them at discounted prices (store sales). I'd bet my left nut they'll either release them with the 3D version for that extra bit of screw you, or they'll rip off the Theatrical DVD idea and wait for sales to drop and then sell them again at full price.

I'd be tempted to buy them just for proper lightsaber effects, rather than enduring Luke's turning blue, white and green.

sigpic

Comment

I have no idea how the crappy saber colouring in ROTJ managed to get through both the VFX teams and QC (plus however many others were involved along the way) without a red flag going up and someone saying "hey, you guys buggered up something big!"

Honestly though one change I want more than anything else is to restore the original Boba Fett's voice. Having Temura Morrison voice all the clones ca. the war makes sense well enough, given that they're rapidly grown and received at least some measure of training from him personally. But Boba? Come on. Speech is learned and he lived a hard life. There was absolutely zero reason for that re-dubbing in ESB.

I know that seems like such a minor thing to quibble over given some of the other glaring problems like Han Shot First and Hayden Crybabysen in ROTJ, but honestly it bugs the snot out of me.
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I'd hope they remove the voice of Jar Jar from the end of the ROTJ (they can deny it, but I know it's him). As for Boba, I'd rather they kept Temura but made him do something different with his voice. Perhaps make him imitate the voice of the original actor so he sounds like a clone, has the tone and attitude of the original.

I do admit I am not a fan of Han not shooting first. It really is a character defining moment that he'd shoot first. Changing Hayden, adding Palpatine, adding all the special effects, new backgrounds and things like that I like (although Hayden was a bit much).

sigpic

Comment

I'm excited. But can Han shoot first again George? Please?

Comment

WHY GEORGE. WHY.

Spoiler:
                Last edited by Naonak; 30 August 2011, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Oh lord

That fits with the scene about as well as when a precious edit had Luke screaming when he threw himself down the Bespin shaft

Comment

milk it, milk it baby, milk it

I think never in the history of film has one man milked 3 good and 3 mediocre movies for so much

apparently Lucas isn't capable of doing anything new and original

I have orignal VHS, Letterbox VHS of the original movies. got the dvd of the last 3 from a resale shop,a nd then a boxed set of the first 3 on dvd from a resale shop

not gonna run out and get these, I don't watch the ones I have. Someday when i'm bored and see them at my resale shop and I have store credit to burn, I might get them. beyond that....nah.
                    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

The new edits have apparantly leaked online and there's all sorts of reports about the changes made for these versions. I actually find it quite fascinating to see what George does each time, and if I have to be perfectly honest none of these things really bother me (I actually think many of the changes are good), even though I can see a lot of what he's doing is very silly. They are just films in the end, some of my favourites, but I can't get worked up over things like whether Han or Greedo shoots first.

I've read the the Ewoks have now been given CG eyes, Sebulba from the Phantom Menace appears in Jabba's palace, Ben has a very silly new Krayt dragon scream in A New Hope and several other things. No idea if any of them are real or people on forums making things up, but we'll find out soon!
                      Private guitar tuition | Return To Grace - rock/pop party band

Comment

The CG eyes thing Im not sure about. Was it possible at times to see the person under the mask with the original?. Sebulba at the palace I like too. Not sure on the Krayt scream, I'd need to hear it.
                        Last edited by SaberBlade; 31 August 2011, 12:16 AM.

sigpic

Comment

Oh god. Apparently they've changed the ending of Jedi to have Vader scream NOOO again when saving Luke.

Not sure whether or not to believe it, as the video as 130 likes, and over 1,200 dislikes so looking forward to knowing if it's fake. If it's legit, they removed Luke begging for help which is super disappointing, now it's like Vader turned good rather than Luke crying like a child for daddy's help.

sigpic

Comment

Yeah Naonak posted that above

Comment

Never noticed that post at all. Clearly one more reason for me not to buy the Blu-Rays until everyone else has, then Lucas can decide to milk it even more by releasing the original versions in a collection.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X