Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How I Met Your Mother (CBS) News/Discussion/Speculation (SPOILERS S9/Finale)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really hated it, they ruined the whole show for me!
    I really don't understand why they would cling to their 8 year old ending and ruin everything just to get back to that...

Appearances may be deceiving.
    One man's ceiling is another man's floor.
    A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell.
    Never run with... scissors?

Comment

Really? You can't understand why writers would tell the story that they wanted to tell. The finale seems to be really polarizing. People love it or they just downright hate it. At least that is my impression over the Internet
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

Overall I liked the ending ok, the episode has a whole was good. The main thing that bothered me was the years after the Robin\Barney divorce where the friends all drifted apart.
        sigpic

Comment

I can't understand why the writers would reverse the 7 year character development just to be able to show the ending they wanted years ago. o me it was completely unnatural, didn't fit with what they have established character-wise in the last 6 years.
          Appearances may be deceiving.
          One man's ceiling is another man's floor.
          A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell.
          Never run with... scissors?

Comment

Warning! Inbound wall of text! I just have to get my whole point across.

Originally posted by nilo2207 View Post
            I really hated it, they ruined the whole show for me!
            I really don't understand why they would cling to their 8 year old ending and ruin everything just to get back to that...

Originally posted by nilo2207 View Post
            I can't understand why the writers would reverse the 7 year character development just to be able to show the ending they wanted years ago. o me it was completely unnatural, didn't fit with what they have established character-wise in the last 6 years.
            The story was heading here all along, that's why it started with Ted meeting Robin. I don't see how it goes against character development either. Do you think they should have thrown out the ending they intended all along just to appease the fans? What about artistic integrity? You may not agree from that philosophical standpoint but allow me to explain my interpretation of the finale's more contentious plot points.

The Marriage, or There and Back Again

Robin and Barney were great together, up to a point. Much like Robin and Ted in the past, Robin and Barney were driven apart by their own priorities. They hated being apart, but couldn't be together without one of them sacrificing their dream so they called it quits. Love isn't always enough on it's own. This is not a reversal of character development, both have learnt that they can't skate by on chemistry.

Why then was the wedding weekend drawn out over the whole 9th season? A lot more happened! Lily was pregnant again, Ted let Robin go, and it immediately led to Ted finally meeting Tracy. It also appears that, despite her love for Barney, Robin started to consider that Ted may actually be the one for her.

The Playbook 2 - Electric Bangaloo

Barney no longer had a reason to be a better man, so he tried to enjoy the single life the way he always had by sleeping around. Shortly after Robin and Barney's first relationship ended, Barney attempted the Perfect Week. This time he attempts the Perfect Month. The girl from Day 31 gets pregnant, giving Barney a daughter.

A daughter gives Barney a new reason to be better. He was determined to be the father he had never had. Barney has not reversed in character development. He had a rough patch after the divorce, can you blame him? He has grown from a complete man-child to the person who is capable of having a loving relationship.

You can't always get what you want...

Tracy was the perfect woman for Ted. After spending a long time clinging to the idea that Robin was the one, Ted met Tracy and fell in love like never before. At this point I believe he stopped thinking of Robin as anything but one of his best friends. No part of him believed he would be happier with Robin. This may have been made more clear if a certain scene hadn't' been cut from the finale, but it was certainly implied.

Robin expressed the idea to Lily that Ted was the one she should have been with but it was too late. Ted was completely happy with the love of his life, Tracy, and two kids. There was no chance Ted would ever leave Tracy for Robin.

Tracy got ill and died. This didn't come out of nowhere, it was hinted at in "Vesuvius" when Tracy made a comment about mothers missing weddings and Ted got teared up. She told him not to be the man who lives in his stories, but to create new ones.

... But if you try sometimes, well you might find, you get what you need

When Ted starts telling his story to his kids in 2030, Tracy has been dead for 6 years. They have all had time to come to terms with that. Some viewers wonder why Tracy's death was skated over. The way I see it is that Ted is telling the story to his kids, not the viewers. The kids already know about their mother's illness and subsequent death, and hardly need to hear the whole painful story all over again.

As Ted's children deduced, Ted is not really telling them about their mother. The point of the story, as indicated by where it began, is to explain how he's in love with Robin again. While she can never replace Tracy, her and Ted really did have fun together. Furthermore, the main obstacles that got between them are no longer there. Robin has had her career and settled back in New York. Ted has kids, and has spent ten wonderful years with his perfect woman.

Ted and Robin are both in completely different points in their lives, and are no longer looking for the same things they once looked for in relationships. Who's to say they couldn't be happy together? Who's to say they shouldn't try? Tracy moved on from her dead boyfriend Max in order to be with Ted. This wasn't an insult to Max's memory, so why should Ted moving on be an insult to Tracy's? Ted ending up with Robin doesn't mean that Robin was actually the one instead of Tracy.

A touch of realism

Many viewers wanted a fairytale ending where everybody lived happily ever after. They dislike the show's more realistic ending because they go to TV to escape from their lives. That's not a bad thing. Everybody loves a bit of escapism at times. The show could have ended with Tracy living, Robin and Barney together, and everything perfect. Instead they chose to continue a long standing theme from How I Met Your Mother.

Time and time again HIMYM has taught us that we can't cling on to good times past. Even when it seems like all the good times are over we have the keep going and make new good times. Even after losing his perfect woman who he will never stop loving, Ted was able to find love again. Even the romantic in him had survived, as demonstrated by him going to Robin's apartment with the Blue French Horn.

Some do not see this as moving forwards but, rather, as moving backwards. They believe that Ted was in love with Robin all along and is just running back to her. I believe he fell back in love with her after grieving Tracy's death. Ted's kids indicated that Robin had been regularly coming over for dinner. Ted was in love with the new Robin who was ready to settle down. He was glad they hadn't stayed together before because, if they had, he would never have been with Tracy.

Theory of Love

Finally, does a person only ever get one great love? Tracy really loved Max, but then she really loved Ted. The fact that Ted could never truly replace Max didn't hinder a perfectly happy relationship. Sure Robin and Ted aren't as freaky compatible as Ted and Tracy but, as Ted said himself:

"But love doesn't make sense. You can't logic your way into or out of it. Love is totally nonsensical. But we have to keep doing it, or else we're lost and love is dead and humanity should just pack it in. Because love is the best thing we do."

Sure Robin can't be the raising a family type, that's a big part of why they couldn't work before. That doesn't matter anymore. Ted's had all of that. Robin wasn't enough for him before, but she is now. Robin couldn't fully reciprocate Ted's feelings in the past, but now she can. They both get to be happy again.

Isn't that a more touching story? It got through to this jaded heart.

"BRITTA? WHAT KIND OF LAME NAME IS THAT?"

Comment

Excellent post Britta.

I whole heartedly agree. Plus if you again look at it from the point of view of a story being told to his kids over the course of...well what I bet is several hours... He does mention Robin A LOT. To his kids it's basically just going to sound like:
              "well before I met your mother I first met Robin who I fell in love with on our very first date. Eventually we got together but we were in different places in our lives so we split up but I still loved her a lot despite everything else that happened... But that's ok kids because without her I wouldn't have met your mother."

I actually wouldn't be surprised if this ending wasn't the original intention of the writers, and I think the final season could have been done a lot better (I haven't been a huge fan of the format really) but it has been obvious since the first episode that Ted and Robin have chemistry, and I think all the ways they tried to make it seem like they don't in subsequent seasons (focussing on their differences and Robin's immaturity for example) kinda came across as forced.
              Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Thanks! I'm fairly certain it was what the writers originally intended. Robin and Ted's problem was never a lack of love or chemistry, it was timing and priorities. Having him live happily forever after with Tracy after starting his story with the night he met Robin would have been pretty cheap in my opinion. As for being upset about her being yanked away after how great she turned out to be, I would imagine that's much like how Ted feels.

I admire the writers more for having the guts to go through with it after the fans reception to Tracy.

"BRITTA? WHAT KIND OF LAME NAME IS THAT?"

Comment

Working...
                X