Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why didn't the clone of Weir go back to Atlantis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why didn't the clone of Weir go back to Atlantis?

At the end of the episode, the Asurans tracked down the clones. Traveling through the stargate via cloaked jumper was risky as two starships were directly above. One jumper flying off as a diversion was a good idea, though obviously suicidal in a self-sacrifice kind of way. Was it necessary for all of the clones to go? Obviously, Sheppard's clone had to go. I get why the clones of McKay, Teyla, and Ronan went. Teams stick together through thick and thin. However, there was only one Elizabeth Weir, a clone who had been told her original self was dead. You would think that the clone of John Sheppard would have loved her (as a friend) as much as the original and ordered her back to Atlantis.

I liked the episode, but Weir not going back to Atlantis was just... stupid. Had they kept the clone around, she could have gone back to Earth. Instead, we're left with a dead clone.

Sheppard couldn't "order" her to do anything. She's not military; she's a civilian. He really had no authority over her. He could have tried to talk her into it, but it was ultimately up to her whether to go or stay.

Comment

I know she's not military, but he's the pilot of the Puddle Jumper. He could have thrown her out to save her life. It bothers me, because it's like... with Weir supposedly dead, why not send the clone back to Atlantis? Not doing so is just stupid!!!

Comment

Because they couldn't really trust her because she was made by the Asurans. Simple as that.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
          Sheppard couldn't "order" her to do anything. She's not military; she's a civilian. He really had no authority over her. He could have tried to talk her into it, but it was ultimately up to her whether to go or stay.
          Originally posted by escyos View Post
          Because they couldn't really trust her because she was made by the Asurans. Simple as that.
          Yeah...what they said!
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
            How is that a reason? She was a clone. Should the clone of Carson Beckett not be trusted, because he was created by a Wraith?

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
              How is that a reason? She was a clone. Should the clone of Carson Beckett not be trusted, because he was created by a Wraith?
              The clones created by the Asurans were made from Nanites - the clone of Carson was not made of nanites.
              Having the nanites in her made her a presumed security risk - the Weir clone knew this.

Sheppard discussed this with Weir and even she said she could not return:

SHEPPARD: It's not like this hasn't happened before. The other Elizabeth got infected by those little nanite things and we figured out how to stop ‘em somehow. Maybe we can do the same for you.

WEIR: So we wouldn't be a security threat?

SHEPPARD (awkwardly): You can contribute. Things'll just be ... different.

(Elizabeth sighs and shakes her head ruefully.)

WEIR: That's not really the issue, John. I guess what really bothers me is just knowing that you and the others will always consider me less than what I really am.

SHEPPARD: That's not true.

WEIR: Of course it is – and I don't blame you.

Sheppard and Weir were good friends and he had a lot of respect for her. Enough of a friend and enough respect for her that he wouldn't just throw her into the back of the jumper against her wishes.

Comment

Because TPTB wanted to get rid of her character. No logic involved. And a huge mistake. IMHO of course.

Comment

I still think it's inconsistent with the clone of Beckett. He's welcomed with open arms, but when Weir gets clone, oh no... security risk! Um... right... and as for Sheppard saying things would be different, I just took that to mean Weir would no longer be in charge due to new leadership. As for the nanites, just set off an EMP. That took care of them in "Hot Zone."

Comment

I guess the implication was that cloned John hoped they'd all be able to escape together. She'd still be sort of closer to clone John than original John because she was created just like he was.
                    "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

None of these really answer another question: why couldn't some clones(at least Elizabeth) just... retire or something. Was it really necessary to kill themselves for no particular reason? Sheppard can go, you guys go to another planet and live out the rest of your days in whatever way you want.
                      "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

I think one of the PTB mentioned said the clones hoped they still be able to escape when they opted to all fly away in the puddle jumper.
                        "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

Still a crazy suicide mission. But overall, very nice ep(especially Sheppard's last remark to that Replicator).
                          "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Working...
                          X