This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it time to let go?

Is it time to let go? The show was going to return for a sixth season, but it was cancelled in favor of launching Universe. The series ended with "Enemy at the Gate," a rushed finale that would have benefited from being a two-parter, but it's a great finale as it stands. There was a lot of hype from the producers about a TV movie for the SciFi channel, but that kept getting delayed, likely because of SGU. Eventually, we did get to see some continuation of Atlantis through Universe.

Spoilers for Universe - Season 1
    We see Colonel Carter in command of the Hammond in 1-1 "Air, Part 1" and 1-19 "Incusion, Part 1." Her command was forshadowed in Atlantis 4-20 "The Last Man" and 5-20 "Enemy at the Gate."

Spoilers for Universe - Season 2
    In 2-15 "Seizure," McKay and Woolsey return in an episode where the SGC (or Homeworld Command?) try to send supplies to Destiny via Langara's stargate.

With SGU's cancellation, the movie script will likely never materialize as a movie. Mallozzi releasing script details on his blog pretty much confirms this.

So, the question remains... is it time to let go? Shall we be satisfied with "Enemy at the Gate" as an ending to Atlantis?

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post

So, the question remains... is it time to let go? Shall we be satisfied with "Enemy at the Gate" as an ending to Atlantis?
    Not a chance!

(There's always fanfic and dreams)
    sigpic

Comment

I am talking about official productions from MGM.

Comment

let it go. SG is gone, thankfully. There are better shows than SGA or SGU airing
        Stolen Kosovo
        sigpic

Comment

It was unfortunate how it ended but I don't see there being any more Stargate on TV for the next few years, maybe a new show or reboot down the line but after the bad numbers from SGU I don't think we'll be seeing any new Stargate, SGU or SGA on TV again.
          sigpic

Comment

I think it is over, to coin a phrase that's being used a lot at the moment, I think MGM see's stargate as something of a "toxic" brand at the moment, there was too much argument, name calling and downright nastiness - and that's before we get to the fans !

I think its unfortunate that we won't get to see any more of "this" stargate because despite the failings of those running the show there was a lot, a lot, of stories left that could have been told, and with different creative forces, told well.

I think however that MGM will be far from finished with the stargate brand, and that probably in the not too distant future (I'll hazard 3 - 5 years) we will see a complete reboot with a fresh creative team (possibly on a different channel), just as soon as the networks focus move back from producing fantasy based shows back to scifi (which is also one of the reasons I suspect why no more stargate at the moment, everyone wants to make fantasy shows), or if they go in a completely different direction back to the big screen for the long mooted original movie sequals.

So I agree its the end of this stargate, but not the end of stargate the brand

Comment

Originally posted by Arica15 View Post
              I think its unfortunate that we won't get to see any more of "this" stargate because despite the failings of those running the show there was a lot, a lot, of stories left that could have been told, and with different creative forces, told well.
              this is *why* it shouldn't be over, b/c it's like you said, there's still a lot of stories left to tell, just give it over to someone(s) that still want to tell them. and i'm not talking about general stargate, but sg1/atlantis. (let brad and rob deal with their favorite of the three (sgu) in their own financed movie)
              sally

sigpic

Comment

It's over, fullstop. It's been over since EatG. Considering the apparent state of mind of the franchise writers and producers when the series ended--vis a vis, simply not being interested in doing any more Atlantis--it was time to let it go when the last episode of Season 5 aired. Even if Joe M/Paul M took the time to write a script, it seems as though Stargate Extinction was never anything more than lip service.
                "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I feel it's time to move on. The Stargate franchise as we know it is no more. I'm tired of getting my hopes up. I will always love Stargate (SG-1, SGA. SGU). I can still watch my DVDs when I feel like watching Stargate. Unless there is some breaking news on the franchise (which I seriously doubt), I'm gonna move on.
                  Last edited by Sue_Jackson; 20 July 2011, 02:18 PM.
                  sigpic
                  Follow me on Twitter! I'm on Facebook!

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                    It's over, fullstop. It's been over since EatG. Considering the apparent state of mind of the franchise writers and producers when the series ended--vis a vis, simply not being interested in doing any more Atlantis--it was time to let it go when the last episode of Season 5 aired. Even if Joe M/Paul M took the time to write a script, it seems as though Stargate Extinction was never anything more than lip service.
                    Bingo! If the team was burned out on Stargate, end Atlantis and cap off the franchise with a few DVD movies. Universe could easily have been an entirely separate show with a little tweaking. The only thing that made it Stargate at all was the stargate (barely used), the Lucian Alliance, and a few familiar guest stars.

Comment

I heard about the end of SGA before I had even seen any of S5, (it wasn't fast-tracked out here), and it was at that point that I gave up on ever seeing more after S5. It's sad, but there it is.
                      sigpic
                      ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                      A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                      The truth isn't the truth

Comment

The movie plays in my mind
                        sigpic
                        Does anyone else respond to something shocking in the manner of ELI....
                        "YOU KNEW ABOUT THIS THE WHOLE TIME!"
                        Global Warming: "YOU KNEW ABOUT THIS THE WHOLE TIME!"
                        Ancient Aliens: "YOU KNEW ABOUT THIS THE WHOLE TIME!"
                        etc.....

Comment

Originally posted by g.o.d View Post
                          There are better shows than SGA or SGU airing
                          Blasphemy!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                            I heard about the end of SGA before I had even seen any of S5, (it wasn't fast-tracked out here), and it was at that point that I gave up on ever seeing more after S5. It's sad, but there it is.
                            In Universe, there's Carter in command of the Hammond for two episodes. There's also McKay and Woolsey in "Seizure." That's not a movie, but it's something.

Comment

why is it anyone that asks these 'time to let go, time to move on' questions, *they're* the ones already packing their stargate in storage!!

i'm not ready to let go, b/c all of this was premature and unneeded.

we just need someone(s) will the desire to make it so... at least that's a beginning.
                              sally

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X