This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The GateWorld Cantina: News Page

I figure all of the news links in the Cantina itself actually get huddled up between the fighting and the drinking. News pages from reliable sources please (I always find mine on BBC news for instance), but on anything politically prominent or simply things you find quite interesting (within any genre). My hope is for said discussions to evolve into debates and so forth, but no bickering. The Cantina is and always has been a symbol of forum peace and y'all know it.

Today's, from yours truly;

NASA picks the next evolution of the shuttlecraft - Mars sighted as a destination for the 2030's.

Man has double hand transplant
    - Video link - the bandages come off as Dr Edwards reveals his new hands to the world (after losing his old pair to bad burns five years ago). (This video is not for the faint hearted, and certainly freaked me out - Frankenstein images came to mind)

The ancient capital of Egypt is found - Video link - An infra-red satellite image reveals the pattern of streets and houses in the buried ancient city of Tanis in Egypt. The new technique has also shown up the sites of 17 lost pyramids as well as thousands of tombs and settlements;

I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
    Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Fighting? Drinking?
    I know not what you mean
    Didn't watch the hand thing
    I find the story on the ancient city of Egypt fascinating.
    I'll have to wait for the Discovery Channel.
    Modern technology is wonderful isn't it.
    no means no, and so does pepper spray
    Sig by The Carpenter
    sigpic

Comment

Indeed!

The leader of the project actually said 'Move on - Indy. We do things differently now!'

I can't believe they found a whole city, and it's the old capital too! Must be full of artefacts and secrets and, potentially of course, mummies :O
      I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic

Comment

You know, the mods probably aren't going to take kindly to the creation of half a dozen new Cantina threads since they won't perma-sticky the original one... just saying, tread carefully...
        Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
        Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

They did perma-sticky the original one and changed the campaign. Besides none of the new threads are breaking any forum rules and aren't aiming to. The Cantina is a community on GW and one I'd aspire to see develop. The forum is looking for new ways to continue itself and to make it into more of a community as opposed to simply scifi discussion is one of our aims. This is the way to do that. It's not a conquest. It's growth of that community. Also there have only been three new Cantina-themed threads over the last couple of months.

This is still GateWorld. It's just the GateWorld Cantina.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral Mappalazarou View Post
            Indeed!

The leader of the project actually said 'Move on - Indy. We do things differently now!'

I can't believe they found a whole city, and it's the old capital too! Must be full of artefacts and secrets and, potentially of course, mummies :O
            Digging all this up will take decades. I didn't notice if they said how deep the city is buried. I suppose that will be in the documentary.
            Wonder when it comes to Discovery channel, since I won't be able to access the UK
            How about new theories on the ark? going to be someone looking for that
            Sig by The Carpenter
            sigpic

Comment

If the next scan picks up a chamber full of snakes I think we will have our answer.

sigpic

Comment

Indeed!

The stuff found in Tut's tomb was awesome. Cant wait to see what they find in the 17 lost pyramids as well as thousands of tombs.
                sigpic

Comment

I went to Tut's tomb about ten years ago (with my mum) Also back then, when I finally saw his infamous gold death mask in the museum - It could have well fit me!

sigpic

Comment

This happened the other night in Oklahoma. Watch how fast this tornado moves. the power of nature
                    the driver survived with a broken arm, he was thrown outside the cab.
                    http://www.wgal.com/video/28017392/detail.html
                    Sig by The Carpenter
                    sigpic

Comment

That's terrible. Been hearing bits about the US tornadoes. I read somewhere that over a hundred people have lost their lives so far. It was made more lighthearted by the fact that the reporting journalist was obviously new to it Wonder if he'll last?

sigpic

Comment

Mapp knowing about those Pyramids provided by me When I saw it I was so excited for some reason! I love Egypt, but those who love Stargate kinda naturally love Egypt.

I wanna visit those sites... I'll keep that particular story updated as time progresses I can guarantee.

Comment

That's terrible. Been hearing bits about the US tornadoes. I read somewhere that over a hundred people have lost their lives so far. It was made more lighthearted by the fact that the reporting journalist was obviously new to it Wonder if he'll last?
                          Jopling Missouri had 125 in one night and they are still finding bodies, last count about 1,000 people were still missing.
                          There have been 1212 tornadoes so far this season.
                          http://www.weather.com/outlook/weath...oll_2011-05-25
                          Sig by The Carpenter
                          sigpic

Comment

wow How long is it predicted to last? Aren't there emergency protocols for this kind of thing?

sigpic

Comment

wow How long is it predicted to last? Aren't there emergency protocols for this kind of thing?
                              The season is April thru July. May and June the most tornadoes, but this year it started really bad in April
                              There are Tornado sirens that go off to warn you, but sometimes these things spring up so fast you only have minutes and there isn't anything you can do, but hunker down and wait it out. Inside room, bathtub, or basement. tornado alley people sometimes have tornado shelters built underground. If they come at night, you can't even see them coming . And you have no idea what direction they will jag off to.

http://www.weather.com/ready/tornado/risk.html
                              Sig by The Carpenter
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X