This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stitch View Post
    It wasn't an issue with Syfy even though I think they are morons... That's like blaming the grocery store because Coke stop making Cherry Coke. MGM blindsided them more than once... It was all about money, they were broke and wanted to make more Bond movies!
    In many ways, the issue is simple:

MGM was bankrupt.
    SGU was -from the looks of it- not the money producer they needed. For the millions they pump into it, they do get millions back, even more, but nothing on the scale they needed.
    They put all their effort into 1 franchise: bond.

Bond became a huge success and pulled them out.

Quite frankly, if i were MGM, i would've done exactly the same. Bond's success plainly proved that MGM made the right choice in axing SGU. No matter how much i like the show. They made the right decision.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post

MGM was bankrupt.
      SGU was -from the looks of it- not the money producer they needed. For the millions they pump into it, they do get millions back, even more, but nothing on the scale they needed.

Quite frankly, if i were MGM, i would've done exactly the same. Bond's success plainly proved that MGM made the right choice in axing SGU. No matter how much i like the show. They made the right decision.
      Well said... I will see if I can get Joe Mallozzi to explain how exactly the industry works when it comes to the network, franchise owner and the producers.
      www.stitchsloft.com
      For your out of this world prop and costume needs

sigpic
      "THAT'S... Lt. Col, Errand Boy to you..." Lt. Col John Sheppard
      www.scifihero.net

Comment

Well said... I will see if I can get Joe Mallozzi to explain how exactly the industry works when it comes to the network, franchise owner and the producers.
        Good luck!!
        sigpic
        ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
        A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
        The truth isn't the truth

Comment

I get the feeling you're being sarcastic.

Comment

MGM was bankrupt.

Up to a point

Bond did well for MGM obviously and pulled them out of the hole

Thing is Stargate generally is still a proven brand and one of their cash cows, so they were always going to re-explore it,though in this case sadly it seems to be in terms of a new Emmerich reboot/sequel/whatever feature rather than continuation of the TV series

As for SyFy, they didn't help themselves with changing the timeslot around etc, and it is clear going by the fate of just about every other show on that network is that the new senior executives were intent on taking the entire network in an entirely different direction to the point where it can't really be considered a niche sc fi network anymore

Then there is the fact of wider industry changes in terms of the entertainment industry and how it is consumed, eg people want to consume it digitally and on demand, people still go to the Cinema which helps in the case of the bond franchise but for TV etc it is rather different (which might go some way into explaining why they are exploring a new film and not TV show)

so the old model was bust and SGU got caught badly in the transition period, eg a few years earlier and it would have been fine for about 5 seasons as SGA was or a few years later after all of SyFy's changes and perhaps they would have found a better medium like Netflix

Comment

MGM was bankrupt.

Mitigated, it is. Surely, when facing bankruptcy, you crave any money source available, for all sorts of reasons, notably to keep the value of your company afloat.
              Axing a show because alone it couldn't save them is totally stupid, especially since they had no crystal ball to tell them that Bond movies would save them.
              There is simply zero reason (safe one) to cancel a well oiled system that leaves a positive net on your management records year to year. You actually want MORE of that to solidify your ground and not count on sole exceptional outlying lucky draws.
              Now, the only reason they'd do that is, if for example, the show cost 12, and they got 14 back. Net gain 2, but they could use those 12 in a better way.
              And since Bond has pulled them out (because MGM just lost its money doing silly things outside of the industry it's supposed to work in), it can bring SGU back, or sell parts of the right or even all of them at some value.
              The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

I don't hate syfy, I must be one of the small minority that actually welcomed the cancellation of SGU, the similarities with Stargate ended with the show having a gate in it and the odd mention of earth and the ancients, it was nothing but a blatant copy of battlestar galacticas soap opera in space borefest. I did however disagree with the cancellation of Atlantis as it was a good branch of the Stargate franchise and deserved to continue as it was edge of seat stuff unlike universe which was empty seat gone to do something else stuff.

Shame there will be no movie to finish off Atlantis. As many have said, cancellation is not always because of the networks, it's because people stop watching. (which for SGU was a good thing) imo.
                sigpic
                "Oh, okay, well, it's official... You don't get to name anything. Ever."

Comment

Sadly it is kind of hatred toward the network. Syfy had some amazing shows like Stargate, Eureka, Warehouse 13, as well as others. Stargate has since been cancelled, Eureka has "ended" and Warehouse 13 is "ending" next year. Yes they do have Defiance and an upcoming new show Helix but it isn't enough. I don't enjoy watching Wrestling and ghost hunter.

Sorry Syfy but I think your new brand is a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by RanCorX2 View Post
                    I don't hate syfy, I must be one of the small minority that actually welcomed the cancellation of SGU, the similarities with Stargate ended with the show having a gate in it and the odd mention of earth and the ancients, it was nothing but a blatant copy of battlestar galacticas soap opera in space borefest. I did however disagree with the cancellation of Atlantis as it was a good branch of the Stargate franchise and deserved to continue as it was edge of seat stuff unlike universe which was empty seat gone to do something else stuff.

Shame there will be no movie to finish off Atlantis. As many have said, cancellation is not always because of the networks, it's because people stop watching. (which for SGU was a good thing) imo.
                    I must have missed the part where robots committed genocide on Earth, or where Destiny was searching for a new home. Has anyone seen Young's son?
                    Originally posted by aretood2
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Ryansox View Post
                      Sadly it is kind of hatred toward the network. Syfy had some amazing shows like Stargate, Eureka, Warehouse 13, as well as others. Stargate has since been cancelled, Eureka has "ended" and Warehouse 13 is "ending" next year. Yes they do have Defiance and an upcoming new show Helix but it isn't enough. I don't enjoy watching Wrestling and ghost hunter.

Sorry Syfy but I think your new brand is a joke.
                      They also have Haven and Continuum, though Haven will likely be cancelled next year since it will be its 5th year, and Syfy seems to have a rule about cancelling shows after their 5th season.

Continuum is in its 3rd years, so it at least will likely have two more after that.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                        They also have Haven and Continuum, though Haven will likely be cancelled next year since it will be its 5th year, and Syfy seems to have a rule about cancelling shows after their 5th season.

Continuum is in its 3rd years, so it at least will likely have two more after that.
                        Yea I kinda felt like the Haven storyline is ending along with the fact that Syfy seems to have that rule. Didn't really include Continuum in that because it isn't technically an original series because it is on Showcase.

Comment

I think mgm should sell the rights to someone like netflix... someone who needs shows like these to establish itself more... they have made great shows like house of cards and a proper sci fi show would do them some good and as they are willing to spend big bucks(house of cards was a 100million$... more than game of thrones), it would be awesome for a cgi oriented series like stargate...

Comment

5 Years is a good run for any show. So I can't really complain, but sometimes you just want more.

As of now, I am only watching W13 and Defiance now, W13 is ending next year, so will only have Defiance. Boy, I remember those days I used to watch like half a dozen shows or more on the network. The best was the SG-1/SGA/BSG lineup on Fridays. *sigh* I miss those days.

Anyway, pretty cool to see a thread I started like years ago bumped up. Wow, what the hell was I thinking writing that, lol.
                            sigpic

Comment

Continuum is a Canadian show and airs on Showcase. Season Two began airing on Showcase before Season One was done airing on SyFy. It is also this reason that the show takes place in Vancouver, BC instead of Anytown, USA (but filmed in the Vancouver area), and has CSIS instead of the CIA, &c.

Comment

Working...
                              X