Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would TJ's ALS have still come about in 5 years despite 3 years in stasis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would TJ's ALS have still come about in 5 years despite 3 years in stasis?

The reason I ask this is because a lot of people, my self included wondered why they would say TJ started showing symptoms in 5 years when the show was only supposed to have 5 seasons (especially since it seems 2 seasons = 1 year in SGU).

So would TJ have emerged from stasis 3 years closer to showing symptoms so that the ALS storyline could become a major factor by season 5? Or would it have staved off the ALS for another 3 years?

Perfecto!

Still 5 years, since being in stasis slow down the metabolism (almost to a halt) and hence the development of the disease.

Personally, I don't think the writers had any intention of showing us TJ going through the different stage of the disease again. They would have found a cure or a solution in some way.
    Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

Statis [as long as it isn't for 10,000 years] is stasis.
      sigpic
      More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

TJ had ALS for the sole purpose of milking some drama in SGU while conveniently disposing of the matter a few episodes down the road (had the series been continued).

compare and contrast chloe's mutation storyline.

to answer the thread question, though: of course not. it's simple 5+3. stasis is wonderful.

Comment

No.

sigpic

Comment

With only being in there for 3 years i see the disease not progressing that much from where it was when she went in. Look at how old Wier looked in Before I Sleep.. and she had been in there off and on for almost 10000 years......

Comment

The writers throw in crises wherever they need some drama. I doubt that when SGU was conceived that the ALS sub-plot was on anyone's mind.

Comment

With the drones and everything else, why would they need MORE drama?

Comment

no, she would remain in the same stage she is now when she wakes up. with the exception of problems if she or anyone is in the chamber for like a 10,000 years.
                  sigpic

Comment

True.. figure each 150 years in stasis you age 1..

Comment

Yes that's why they probably decided on 3+ years.

Comment

In regards to how the pods work, JM mentioned them in his blog. I mentioned it in this thread here.

John T. Williams writes: “So how’re the two types of statis chambers different? Do the Destiny type freeze completely so that the occupants don’t actually age whatsoever?”

Answer: Yes, that’s the way they were designed to operate.

Comment

Thanks for the clarification.

Comment

Well sadly the writers it seem they were turning back to there old habits of solving every problem within a episode or a few. Or at least Joe Mallozzi ideas for season 3, 4,5 suggests they were.

I had hope the other writers had more creativity and would have shown TJ progression with the disease until she finally dies, or meet someone that could stop the disease but not reverse the damage it cause (Faith Aliens for instant) bringing up the whole question whether she could live dependent on Young and Varro for the rest of her life. This could have lead to some emotional scenes between Amanda and TJ.

Having her fine a simple cure was a boring way out.

Unfortuantly they are no longer writing the last 3 seasons.

The extension I am working on, a design flaw with the Statis chambers did not slow down the disease but speeds it up, substantially so. Other members of the crew will also face consequences of using the chambers.

There is a reason why the ancients stop using them and switch to the less perfect but a lot safer designs of Atlantis era, which Eli will be informed off while trying to fixed the last statis machine.

Comment

Working...
                            X