Compared with the last episode of BSG..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compared with the last episode of BSG..

Ok.. 80 or so of "the wrong people" from Destiny land on an earth type planet with nothing but the clothes on their backs, in 10 years they've built a village, in 50 years they've made a town, in 500 years they've created cities and industry and after 2000 years have created and advanced society that can build massive space ships that can lift off of the ground..

but in Battlestar Galactica 30,000 people land on an earth type planet that already is populated by some nomadic human tribes, while yes they get rid off all of their larger spacecraft, they still have Raptors, Vipers and shuttles plus all the other equipment they initially landed with. They also spread out over to different continents, and still have a way to keep in contact, yet 150,000 years later, they're only at our level of technology

you would have thought that 30,000 people + 150,000 years + advanced technology from the beginning would have developed into a huge space faring society much like Star Trek's Federation after only a 500-1000 years, but 80 or so of "the wrong people" from a much less advanced society with nothing but the clothes on their back were able to create a far more advanced society in less than 2000 years.

wonder which one is more likely?

In BSG they wanted a new "fresh start" without technology, whereas in SGU they didn't want/need a "fresh start". So there was no need for them to evolve so quick

Comment

Originally posted by SerpentGuard View Post
      but in Battlestar Galactica 30,000 people land on an earth type planet that already is populated by some nomadic human tribes, while yes they get rid off all of their larger spacecraft, they still have Raptors, Vipers and shuttles plus all the other equipment they initially landed with. They also spread out over to different continents, and still have a way to keep in contact, yet 150,000 years later, they're only at our level of technology
      It's been awhile since I last saw the episode, but I think they really started over, without the Raptors (other than Adama's), Vipers and shuttles.
      sigpic

Comment

The idea was that those 80 wrong people knew how to start building a civilization , they knew haw to start and create rudimentary tools . The problem is that the BSG what that they where way to advanced .
        sigpic
        Stargate Mods List

I am webxro , google me .SG,ST,SW,B5 Fan since forever.
        StarTrek Excalibur enthusiast and Pardus player .
        GW member infractions : 1

Comment

They are two DIFFERENT shows. Get over it!

Comment

in BSG they chose to start anew. in SGU they actively passed on their knowledge

Comment

Not to mention that those 80 people werent prone to going into constant wars with each other and believing in religions instead of science. That advanced civilisation mentality really does make a difference and it gets passed on.
              sigpic

Comment

there's got to be some recursive formula of some sort that someone can write that could predict roughly what a population of 80 people would be after some 2000 years. anyone game?

Comment

well i can presume its:

Ab=(As+Mu0*X*K+Mu*Y) * T

end knowledge = ( collective knowlege + quality of teaching * amount of inhabitants*reproductive value ) * amount of years passed.

Comment

Originally posted by themeatcleaver View Post
                    there's got to be some recursive formula of some sort that someone can write that could predict roughly what a population of 80 people would be after some 2000 years. anyone game?
                    if each couple gets like 6 children and each of the 6 marries the other 6 and producing another 6 then those 6 makes with 6 of ah what its too hard.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
                      They are two DIFFERENT shows. Get over it!
                      you're sure?

i got the impression that SGU was BSG Jr

pseudo-political wrangling with no long lasting effect, a long journey in space, and mechanical enemies.

at least BSG could manage everything (with wrangling having a lasting effect) AND provide a bit more action, while developing their characters.
                      Cantina Petition for Perma-sticky (or own subforum)

Comment

Originally posted by ballastix View Post
                        In BSG they wanted a new "fresh start" without technology, whereas in SGU they didn't want/need a "fresh start". So there was no need for them to evolve so quick

This
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Keeper View Post
                          i got the impression that SGU was BSG Jr
                          You're telling me it isn't? I thought everything originated from BSG.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Egle01 View Post
                            You're telling me it isn't? I thought everything originated from BSG.
                            BSG had more urgency to it while SGU is more serene dissonance.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Duneknight View Post
                              BSG had more urgency to it while SGU is more serene dissonance.
                              exactly, hence jr
                              Cantina Petition for Perma-sticky (or own subforum)

Comment

Working...
                              X