Creation Stargate Convention Vancouver - 27.04.-29.04.2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by discodiva View Post
    I have very happy memories of 2006, 07, 08 and 09 - Good friends, great guests, and very good value for money.....2010 and 11 were less steller and "involved" for me......I won't be planning to come in 12 - air fares are too expensive so it's UK and Europe travel for us .....and it's Olympic year - we have tickets for one event!!.....

2013 might be our West Coast year again - another Road Trip....who knows?..I still want to do that drive from Vancouver all the way down to Newport Beach........but I know we'll be back to Vancouver at least one more time, just not for Convention stuff....

Deeds xx
    Will miss you! How did you manage to get a ticket for an Olympic event?! They were impossible to get hold of and pricey for the Vancouver Winter games, I would have loved to have seen one event at least. Still, the atmosphere in the city was great and it was just fun wandering around with all the people Downtown at the various pavilions they had dotted around. I'm sure it will be like that in London too.

Next time you are in Vancouver we'll have to actually meet up and have time to chat to eachother finally!

Vancouver is no longer the most livable city in the world according to the Economist. The traffic woes of the city gave it 3rd place after Melbourne and Vienna.

London's M25 puts London lower on the list. When I think of that motorway I stop moaning about Vancouver's traffic, at least traffic keeps moving in Vancouver even though there's a lot of it.

Comment

I couldn't drive in downtown Vancouver...it's too congested and the one-way streets. Thank goodness for the skytrain and the buses...they seem to plow their way through the street traffic.

Comment

Originally posted by Krisz View Post
        Will miss you! How did you manage to get a ticket for an Olympic event?! They were impossible to get hold of and pricey for the Vancouver Winter games, I would have loved to have seen one event at least. Still, the atmosphere in the city was great and it was just fun wandering around with all the people Downtown at the various pavilions they had dotted around. I'm sure it will be like that in London too.
        We decided to pick a "non-popular" sport in the first ballot - field hockey - which luckily is one of hubby's fav. games as he used to play it for years...in fact we both met at our local hockey club Hallowe'en Disco 30 years ago this October 31........we got first choice for two games on the afternoon of 30th July next year...it's being held on the Olympic Park complex so we have time to have a good nosey around first, which is also a bonus!...

Next time you are in Vancouver we'll have to actually meet up and have time to chat to eachother finally!

Vancouver is no longer the most livable city in the world according to the Economist. The traffic woes of the city gave it 3rd place after Melbourne and Vienna.

London's M25 puts London lower on the list. When I think of that motorway I stop moaning about Vancouver's traffic, at least traffic keeps moving in Vancouver even though there's a lot of it.

The M25 is fine unless you encounter an accident....to be honest I've had just as many hold ups driving back from my aunt's old place in Maple Ridge and also Langley on that darn Highway 1 these days!.....in fact it took us almost 2 hours to get back from Langley on the Sat of the Con this April thanks to abysmal road works and traffic jams ...that's how we missed David and Joe on stage!!....*snark* ...

Am off round the M25 in less than 4 hours' time to be honest.....heading to T5 @ Heathrow for 12 days in Cali and Vegas with hubby, son and his g/f.....can't sleep which is why I'm up at 3.45 a.m....getting the body prepared for the -8 hours time delay and horrific jet lag!!...

Will deffo try and meet up the next time we're in Vancouver for sure....I treat each trip as my last, but hope to return in 2013...

Deeds xx
        sigpic
        Thanks to slizzie1986 for signature
        MSOL - Official Website of Michael Shanks

Comment

Originally posted by mamasue9 View Post
          I couldn't drive in downtown Vancouver...it's too congested and the one-way streets. Thank goodness for the skytrain and the buses...they seem to plow their way through the street traffic.

I think my hubby knows his way round Downtown Van better than he does round London now......he says the "grid system" is so easy and one-way streets hold no fears as we have tonnes of them back home too.....Seattle, on the other hand....now THAT place was a nightmare!!!...LOL!!!...

I'd love to live in Downtown Van - but only in one of those million+ dollar condos in Coal Harbour!!...

Deeds xx
          sigpic

Comment

Now that they have launched the Eureka/Sanctuary/Warehouse 13 convention for LA, maybe that's the kind of event they want to plan for Vancouver? And maybe moving it to the Sheraton Wall where they have the other Vancouver conventions instead of Burnaby?

Just speculation but I'd love a Vancouver Syfy (or scifi) combination convention.

January - San Francisco - Supernatural
            April - Vancouver - Stargate
            June - Nashville - Supernatural
            August - Boston - Supernatural
            August - Chicago - Stargate
            September - Chicago - Star Trek
            October - Chicago - Supernatural
            November - LA - Stargate/Farscape/Eureka-W13-Sanctuary

Coventions in 2012
            March - Burbank - Supernatural
            April - Vancouver - Stargate
            June - Nashville - Supernatural

Con reports at : http://adventurecon.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by discodiva View Post
              We decided to pick a "non-popular" sport in the first ballot - field hockey - which luckily is one of hubby's fav. games as he used to play it for years...in fact we both met at our local hockey club Hallowe'en Disco 30 years ago this October 31........we got first choice for two games on the afternoon of 30th July next year...it's being held on the Olympic Park complex so we have time to have a good nosey around first, which is also a bonus!...

The M25 is fine unless you encounter an accident....to be honest I've had just as many hold ups driving back from my aunt's old place in Maple Ridge and also Langley on that darn Highway 1 these days!.....in fact it took us almost 2 hours to get back from Langley on the Sat of the Con this April thanks to abysmal road works and traffic jams ...that's how we missed David and Joe on stage!!....*snark* ...

Am off round the M25 in less than 4 hours' time to be honest.....heading to T5 @ Heathrow for 12 days in Cali and Vegas with hubby, son and his g/f.....can't sleep which is why I'm up at 3.45 a.m....getting the body prepared for the -8 hours time delay and horrific jet lag!!...

Will deffo try and meet up the next time we're in Vancouver for sure....I treat each trip as my last, but hope to return in 2013...

Deeds xx
              I guess that's the only way to get Olympic tickets, I think they were doing that with a couple of the events like the cross country skiing, not really something you can really watch is it? I didn't like the idea of standing around waiting for something to happen!!

The M25 was always busy when I went on it!

I haven't been on Hwy 1 for about 3 years, I avoid it like the plague!!! It's been awful for about 3 years now since they started work on the highway upgrades and got even worse when they started on the new Port Mann Bridge and access roads to it. Coming back from Langley would have been quicker for you if you'd gone back over the Golden Ears Bridge via Maple Ridge. I always go via Coquitlam and the Barnet Hwy onto Hastings, then down Willingdon when I go to the con. You would have got there in about an hour then.

I commuted to Burnaby when they were building the new Pitt River Bridge, that was awful. Sat in a line of traffic for a good half an hour to get across the river every evening. I'm happy now though, with the new Golden Ears bridge I was able to get work on the Surrey side of the river and the distance I drive to Cloverdale every day takes me an hour less each way for a longer journey than it did to Burnaby!

Comment

Update today...http://www.creationent.com/cal/sgvan.htm

Comment

Yeah, goodbye VanCon....won't be there to see it, not surprised it's the end....and thanks for some really good (and some not so good) memories...

Deeds xx
                  sigpic

Comment

Broke down and bought tickets - with the later date and my univ changing their schedule, classes will be over for the semester.
                    sigpic

Comment

Okay this is going to cause some serious thinking on my part. Had my mind all set for Comic Con. But now that this is the last one. And if they get some really good guests I might do this one instead. Not like Comic Con won't be there in 2013.
                      MY CONVENTIONS:

CON*CEPT MONTREAL 2006
                      MARCON COLUMBUS 2007
                      POLARIS TORONTO 2007
                      CREATION STARGATE VANCOUVER 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 & 2012
                      GATECON VANCOUVER 2008 & 2010
                      VCON VANCOUVER 2010
                      FAN EXPO VANCOUVER 2012 & 2013

Comment

yep.....gonna take a sentimental journey.....

Comment

All this memory- and last-time-talks make me sad *sniffs*

Of course, I can't miss the last opportunity to go to the van con. Although it's bad timing that I had to buy the ticket now, I did it. Row B. Didn't want to wait as long as last year. I was in row G or H in the end.

Having the ticket doesn't mean I'll be there for sure. I still have to wait and see if I can afford the travel costs. But, it's a start.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by silvercomet View Post
                            All this memory- and last-time-talks make me sad *sniffs*

Of course, I can't miss the last opportunity to go to the van con. Although it's bad timing that I had to buy the ticket now, I did it. Row B. Didn't want to wait as long as last year. I was in row G or H in the end.

Having the ticket doesn't mean I'll be there for sure. I still have to wait and see if I can afford the travel costs. But, it's a start.
                            I couldn't pass up a Row A ticket...first time ever!! I'm glad you decided to come...I do agree about the bad timing of buying the ticket because I'm also juggling a budget and which means I won't be in LA. I do plan on organizing a Farewell GateWorld Dinner. *sniff*

Comment

It being the last Stargate con in Vancouver I just had to buy a ticket. Row E. Can't afford it really at the moment but that's where the old credit card comes in useful.

Here's hoping a lot of guests will turn up for the final curtain! I just had a feeling there would be someone I really wanted to see turn up on the guest list and then I find all the tickets have gone, and I didn't want to be right at the back for this event.

It is sad, at least we can have a great farewell celebration, any excuse to party!!!

Comment

I have to admit buying a ticket is a bit of a gamble this early without any guests. I did find it interesting that there weren't that many rows of gold - is Creation actually limiting the number of gold seats or do they simply think this will be a small con? It would be nice if they pulled out all the stops for Vancouver since it doesn't appear to be the case for LA.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X