Awakening (316)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

*scrolls down to bottom without reading anything*

Yay! I finally get to watch this tonight!! Can't wait to read all of your thoughts and maybe chime in with my own.
    "We still commit murder because of greed and spite and jealousy, and we still visit all of our sins upon our children. We refuse to accept the responsibility for anything we've done. [...] Its not enough to survive... One has to be worthy of survival."
    ~William Adama

All this has happened before. All this is happening again.

Comment

Originally posted by PrometheOSS View Post

......... Where on earth is Henry?????

Spoiler:
      I'm 100% sure that the queen is not dead. Same goes to the other vampires in stasis and I think she found a way to Praxis. She will be the new enemy and the Praxians will not be able to fight them, but Helen will save the Praxians. Tesla might change sides. Of course that's just what I think. No one really knows.
      We could have asked the same thing about Tesla since Hollow Men (though someone asked the question for Tapping Tuesday I think and got an explanation but it was never said on the show). Maybe Henry needed some time off after things didn't go his way with Erica?? I'm sure he'll be back very soon.

Regarding your spoiler, I don't think Tesla would do that. Remember what he says to Helen at the end? Besides the queen considered him unworthy, a mongrel, so I bet any others in Afina's court would too. They wouldn't want him.
      sigpic
      Thanks to yamiinsane for my lovely sig.

Comment

Originally posted by NumberSix View Post
        Regarding your spoiler, I don't think Tesla would do that. Remember what he says to Helen at the end? Besides the queen considered him unworthy, a mongrel, so I bet any others in Afina's court would too. They wouldn't want him.
        We shall see!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by PrometheOSS View Post
          We shall see!!!!
          Yep, only TPTB know for sure.
          sigpic
          Thanks to yamiinsane for my lovely sig.

Comment

Woohoo! Finally got to watch this ep!

Here are my first thoughts... I just watched it, so I haven't had a chance to read this thread yet. I'll be doing that tomorrow. For now, my first impressions:

What a fun episode! AT and JY have such a brilliant dynamic together; they just spark off each other marvelously. You can always count on a Tesla-episode to have over-the-top bad guys, dire peril, and charged banter all blended into a perfectly entertaining combination.

The vampire queen, Afina - I wasn't really that taken by her. I'm not sure what it was, but the air of grandiosity and the haughty disposition just felt forced in a way that they never are from JY. To be fair, JY is brilliant - he brings such an easy elegance to his role. That's got to be difficult to match! Still, Afina felt a little too 'hammed up' for me.

The plot and backstory were interesting, though. I hope we get to learn more about the Praxis-Vampire age and their conflict. I'm also curious to know how they might have influenced the ancient human civilizations.

The B-story - this really felt thrown in. I can appreciate the need for a B-story, but I prefer it when, at least thematically, it relates/connects with the A-story. I was, however, glad to see some character development in Kate. The initial scene (in this plot-line, at least) was lovely - it's always nice to see commonplace moments in such a fantastical world. And I enjoy how intuitive the Big Guy is; he really is a soft touch, isn't he. But the story itself felt rushed. It's times like this that I wish the writers wouldn't worry so much about connecting the dots. To me, what was important and interesting about the B-plot was Kate's inner conflict. We didn't really need to see the raid; I would have rather seen more of Kate dealing with her demons. But I realize that there's always the fear that an episode will just turn into "a bunch of talking heads". It's definitely a tough balance to strike.

I do have some minor quibbles - about out-running that massive explosion for instance - but really, that's not so much what the ep was about, and as a result, they don't really bother me so much. The best part about this episode was the fact that we got to see Helen and Tesla working together/squaring off (because they never do one without the other). You really sense the long history these two have when you watch them interact, and I have no doubt that comes from the wonderful dynamic and easy chemistry between these two very talented actors.

(Good grief! Sorry, that got a bit ramble-y)

P.S. One last thought that I forgot to include - it was fun seeing Tesla almost groveling when he first meets Afina. Mr. Hoity-Toity was verging on obsequious! Well played by JY!
            Last edited by Professor_S; 20 May 2011, 07:51 PM. Reason: One last thought...
            "We still commit murder because of greed and spite and jealousy, and we still visit all of our sins upon our children. We refuse to accept the responsibility for anything we've done. [...] Its not enough to survive... One has to be worthy of survival."
            ~William Adama

Comment

It has been hard for me (with the two date night episodes) to have been critical of Sanctuary over the last few weeks. I love this show and I love the people who make this show. I have no idea if TPTB read this or any other forum but no one likes to see their work criticized and it is not generally my nature to be negative. Yet, this is the reality of the entertainment industry. Also, I would hope knowing whether fans like/dislike a particular character or theme will be taken into consideration in future planning.

So it was with great joy that I say how much I loved this latest episode. This is the Sanctuary we all know and love. The clever, funny script, the fabulous characters, the quirky family that is Sanctuary.

I'll start with the B story. I understand the need for B stories in this business. We have certainly seen it with Stargate and Sanctuary in the past. I liked the B story. Firstly, it had to do with the Sanctuary regulars (although I did miss Henry). I like that Kate's past still comes up. In some ways I felt her transformation to Sanctuary good-guy was a little too quick in season 2. In addition, we got back the Will of old. Enjoyed his discussion with Kate.

As for the A story, what can I say that hasn't already been said? It was fabulous! I, like most of you, love Tesla. But it is not just Tesla. While his interactions with the other characters are also good it is the Helen-Tesla interaction that I enjoy the most. AT and JY are so wonderful together, I would love to see them do a comedy together someday. Such great banter. Kudos to the writing and the performances.

My favourite lines were the simple "Hi" "Hi" after Tesla returned to help Helen. Perfectly said. Something as simple as that I just loved.

Loved Helen's concern for Tesla and that he kept up his annoying comments to the (near) end.

I thought the chatter between them was so great once the Vampire Queen appeared.

Great moments between the Queen and Helen as well.

Lots of LOL moments for me in this ep, in particular the scene of Tesla sliding down the wall of the pit after his second attempt to jump out.

For the first time in a couple of weeks, I re-watched the episode right away.

Well done Sanctuary team!
              Last edited by EH-T; 21 May 2011, 11:15 AM.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Originally posted by EH-T View Post

As for the A story, what can I say that hasn't already been said? It was fabulous! I, like most of you, love Tesla. But it is not just Tesla. While his interactions with the other characters are also good it is the Helen-Tesla interaction that I enjoy the most.
                very true. They continue to write Tesla well. And Magnus and Tesla just being themselves with each other a joy to watch.

Comment

I thoroughly enjoyed this episode. Seeing the amazing database again was thrilling and I loved the story line.

I thought the Vampire Queen's acting was a little flat, but maybe that's the way she was told to play it.
                  Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

One of the things I liked about this episode and the show generally, is they have been very successful at handling Tesla. He's used sparingly enough that he's always a treat to see.
                    And they've kept him consistently himself, if that makes sense.
                    Also he's a great way for us to see certain aspects of Magnus.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
                      Also he's a great way for us to see certain aspects of Magnus.
                      That's what I love most about stories involving members of the Five vs stories with the "young 'uns".

In the stories that involve Tesla, John, Watson, Adam Worth, or even Biggie or anyone that's from Magnus' past, we get to see Helen's "normal" self, where she gets to interact with her peers.

In the stories with the main Sanctuary gang (Henry, Will, Kate, Ashley, Declan, etc) we see Mother/Boss Magnus, where she's around subordinates who just don't have the worldly experience and seem very naive in comparison to their more aristocratic elders.
                      sigpic

Comment

Most of what I'd planned to say about this ep has already been said - and more eloquently than I'd have written it So just to add my two cents really, LOVED this episode.

* when Tesla's dying and he starts rambling - thinking back to (when he met?) Helen when they were younger, about how she wasn't wearing black and just the impression he has always been so in awe of her - something that has continued through their relationship over the years - just really loved that little insight into the past and how despite his arrogance I think he really does hold Helen in high esteem and with a lot of respect - and also, you know, it was just cute that his dying rambling should be about a moment he shared with her

* I like that Tesla's kept his magnetic abilities - although I do hope that he's learnt something from his time being devamped (as well as from Afina) - and that he doesn't charge back into 'world domination desires' - I do like his recklessness but he'll perhaps think things through a little more clearly now he's revamped?

Thoroughly enjoy Helen/Nikola centred episodes
                        sigpic
                        ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ my fanfics ~ my twitter ~ teslen thread ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

i think maybe in awe of her and also...well in his arrogance wouldn't it do his ego well to be the 'dude that lands the chick in the red dress'?
                          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lastrequest View Post
                            <snip>

* when Tesla's dying and he starts rambling - thinking back to (when he met?) Helen when they were younger, about how she wasn't wearing black and just the impression he has always been so in awe of her - something that has continued through their relationship over the years - just really loved that little insight into the past and how despite his arrogance I think he really does hold Helen in high esteem and with a lot of respect - and also, you know, it was just cute that his dying rambling should be about a moment he shared with her

<snip>
                            I know, eh?! Shakespeare wrote that "where words are scarce, they are seldom spent in vain, for they breathe truth that breathe their words in pain." That Tesla's mind wandered to thoughts of Helen is telling, I think.

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                            i think maybe in awe of her and also...well in his arrogance wouldn't it do his ego well to be the 'dude that lands the chick in the red dress'?
                            Ahaha, touche!
                            ~William Adama

Comment

the transcript is done and uploaded
                              http://www.jackfic.net/emeraldcity/transcriptslist.html
                              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MidwifeOnBoard View Post
                                Loved this episode! Sanctuary is back, thank the gods.

And srsly? Gillian Horvath is now my favorite Sanctuary writer. She's awesome.

Loved the chemistry between Magnus & Tesla. So fabulous and super-fun. It really brought a huge smile to my face. I even loved the vampire queen. (Was it just me, or did she appear to be looking at Magnus as more than just a meal?) <snip>
                                Oh, she was definitely looking at Helen as more than a meal. She was sizing her up for entertainment, too. I love that at one point she's almost offended that Helen wouldn't see joining her court as an honor. Tesla was too easy (and a mongrel), but Helen was hard to get - and the more she told Afina exactly how she felt, the more the vampire seemed determined to have her for herself.

I'm with Steff, will someone (midwifey? ) please write us a ficlet. That moment should not pass without a little illumination.
                                Grammar / Spelling / Punctuation Discussion and Appreciation (questions welcome!) | Plot Bunny Adoption
                                Fanfic Helpdesk: Technical and Scientific Help for Writers | Fanfic Pet Peeves | My Fanfiction (Abnormal Newt)

Comment

Working...
                                X