Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: Awakening (316)

Default Re: Awakening (316)

It has been hard for me (with the two date night episodes) to have been critical of Sanctuary over the last few weeks. I love this show and I love the people who make this show. I have no idea if TPTB read this or any other forum but no one likes to see their work criticized and it is not generally my nature to be negative. Yet, this is the reality of the entertainment industry. Also, I would hope knowing whether fans like/dislike a particular character or theme will be taken into consideration in future planning.

So it was with great joy that I say how much I loved this latest episode. This is the Sanctuary we all know and love. The clever, funny script, the fabulous characters, the quirky family that is Sanctuary.

I'll start with the B story. I understand the need for B stories in this business. We have certainly seen it with Stargate and Sanctuary in the past. I liked the B story. Firstly, it had to do with the Sanctuary regulars (although I did miss Henry). I like that Kate's past still comes up. In some ways I felt her transformation to Sanctuary good-guy was a little too quick in season 2. In addition, we got back the Will of old. Enjoyed his discussion with Kate.

As for the A story, what can I say that hasn't already been said? It was fabulous! I, like most of you, love Tesla. But it is not just Tesla. While his interactions with the other characters are also good it is the Helen-Tesla interaction that I enjoy the most. AT and JY are so wonderful together, I would love to see them do a comedy together someday. Such great banter. Kudos to the writing and the performances.

My favourite lines were the simple "Hi" "Hi" after Tesla returned to help Helen. Perfectly said. Something as simple as that I just loved.

Loved Helen's concern for Tesla and that he kept up his annoying comments to the (near) end.

I thought the chatter between them was so great once the Vampire Queen appeared.

Great moments between the Queen and Helen as well.

Lots of LOL moments for me in this ep, in particular the scene of Tesla sliding down the wall of the pit after his second attempt to jump out.

For the first time in a couple of weeks, I re-watched the episode right away.

Well done Sanctuary team!
    Last edited by EH-T; May 21st, 2011 at 11:15 AM.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...aronbw_rev.jpg

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Quote Originally Posted by EH-T View Post

As for the A story, what can I say that hasn't already been said? It was fabulous! I, like most of you, love Tesla. But it is not just Tesla. While his interactions with the other characters are also good it is the Helen-Tesla interaction that I enjoy the most.
    very true. They continue to write Tesla well. And Magnus and Tesla just being themselves with each other a joy to watch.

I thoroughly enjoyed this episode. Seeing the amazing database again was thrilling and I loved the story line.

I thought the Vampire Queen's acting was a little flat, but maybe that's the way she was told to play it.
    Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

One of the things I liked about this episode and the show generally, is they have been very successful at handling Tesla. He's used sparingly enough that he's always a treat to see.
    And they've kept him consistently himself, if that makes sense.
    Also he's a great way for us to see certain aspects of Magnus.

Second Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by jckfan55 View Post
    Also he's a great way for us to see certain aspects of Magnus.
    That's what I love most about stories involving members of the Five vs stories with the "young 'uns".

In the stories that involve Tesla, John, Watson, Adam Worth, or even Biggie or anyone that's from Magnus' past, we get to see Helen's "normal" self, where she gets to interact with her peers.

In the stories with the main Sanctuary gang (Henry, Will, Kate, Ashley, Declan, etc) we see Mother/Boss Magnus, where she's around subordinates who just don't have the worldly experience and seem very naive in comparison to their more aristocratic elders.

drinking hot chocolate with cinammon on top

Most of what I'd planned to say about this ep has already been said - and more eloquently than I'd have written it So just to add my two cents really, LOVED this episode.

* when Tesla's dying and he starts rambling - thinking back to (when he met?) Helen when they were younger, about how she wasn't wearing black and just the impression he has always been so in awe of her - something that has continued through their relationship over the years - just really loved that little insight into the past and how despite his arrogance I think he really does hold Helen in high esteem and with a lot of respect - and also, you know, it was just cute that his dying rambling should be about a moment he shared with her

* I like that Tesla's kept his magnetic abilities - although I do hope that he's learnt something from his time being devamped (as well as from Afina) - and that he doesn't charge back into 'world domination desires' - I do like his recklessness but he'll perhaps think things through a little more clearly now he's revamped?

Thoroughly enjoy Helen/Nikola centred episodes

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ my fanfics ~ my twitter ~ teslen thread ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

You call that a glowstick?
    (Moderator)

i think maybe in awe of her and also...well in his arrogance wouldn't it do his ego well to be the 'dude that lands the chick in the red dress'?

Quote Originally Posted by lastrequest View Post
    <snip>

* when Tesla's dying and he starts rambling - thinking back to (when he met?) Helen when they were younger, about how she wasn't wearing black and just the impression he has always been so in awe of her - something that has continued through their relationship over the years - just really loved that little insight into the past and how despite his arrogance I think he really does hold Helen in high esteem and with a lot of respect - and also, you know, it was just cute that his dying rambling should be about a moment he shared with her

<snip>
    I know, eh?! Shakespeare wrote that "where words are scarce, they are seldom spent in vain, for they breathe truth that breathe their words in pain." That Tesla's mind wandered to thoughts of Helen is telling, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydiver View Post
    i think maybe in awe of her and also...well in his arrogance wouldn't it do his ego well to be the 'dude that lands the chick in the red dress'?
    Ahaha, touche!
    "We still commit murder because of greed and spite and jealousy, and we still visit all of our sins upon our children. We refuse to accept the responsibility for anything we've done. [...] Its not enough to survive... One has to be worthy of survival."
    ~William Adama

All this has happened before. All this is happening again.

You call that a glowstick?
    (Moderator)

the transcript is done and uploaded
    http://www.jackfic.net/emeraldcity/transcriptslist.html

First Lieutenant Feast of the Muse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MidwifeOnBoard View Post
    Loved this episode! Sanctuary is back, thank the gods.

And srsly? Gillian Horvath is now my favorite Sanctuary writer. She's awesome.

Loved the chemistry between Magnus & Tesla. So fabulous and super-fun. It really brought a huge smile to my face. I even loved the vampire queen. (Was it just me, or did she appear to be looking at Magnus as more than just a meal?) <snip>
    Oh, she was definitely looking at Helen as more than a meal. She was sizing her up for entertainment, too. I love that at one point she's almost offended that Helen wouldn't see joining her court as an honor. Tesla was too easy (and a mongrel), but Helen was hard to get - and the more she told Afina exactly how she felt, the more the vampire seemed determined to have her for herself.

I'm with Steff, will someone (midwifey? ) please write us a ficlet. That moment should not pass without a little illumination.

Quote Originally Posted by Feast of the Muse View Post
    Oh, she was definitely looking at Helen as more than a meal. She was sizing her up for entertainment, too. I love that at one point she's almost offended that Helen wouldn't see joining her court as an honor. Tesla was too easy (and a mongrel), but Helen was hard to get - and the more she told Afina exactly how she felt, the more the vampire seemed determined to have her for herself.

I'm with Steff, will someone (midwifey? ) please write us a ficlet. That moment should not pass without a little illumination.
    I might consider it in the future, but given the number of Awakenings tags that have cluttered up my LJ f-list in the past week, I wouldn't even think of attempting it until after the season is over.

come tweet with me! LJ Friends Creative LJ* AO3 * FF.net banners by my talented friends

yes, this was another amazing episode and it's great to see Nikola re-vamped

Now *that's* what I'm talking about! This ep simply rocked! Nice backstory stuff for Kate, great rapport with Helen and Nicolas, twists and turns, danger and intrigue. This is what Sanctuary is all about.

1. Hey Nicolai, long time no see mate!

2. Vampire Queen, wasn't expecting her to ditch Nicolai, a loyal mongrel is better than zippo surely.

3. Afina, outsmarted, outclassed, bye bye.

4. Solid enough B plot though surely you'd have thought the abnormal underworld would know by now that Kate's with the Sancturary.

loved this episode and it was great to see helen a lot more in this episode. does anyone know why she hasnt been in some of the episodes before this that much.

The best written female character on trek ever.

In my opinion this is the best episode third season. Of course I can not be objective, but... Jonathon totally rocked! )))))

Is it my ears playing tricks on me, or in the scene when Helen rams the metal pole into Afina's shoulder, when Afina smacks Helen away is there a sound effect that sort of sounds like the word "ka-pow" is part of it?

Thanks to yamiinsane for my lovely sig.

After the latest S4 episode I decided I needed a rerun of Helen-Tesla goodness that is this episode. Love their exchange--"I'm not engaging in this childish conversation." "The more you protest the truer it is." "Great scientific method." etc. Gotta love these two.

And beyond the fun banter we saw that they both really care about each other as dear friends.

Lieutenant Colonel Eternal Density's Avatar

This was an excellent episode!

Yeah I'm a bit late, but I only just watched the last five eps of the season cos I was saving the DVDs until I visited some friends interstate so we could watch them for the first time together, and we only got up to ep 15 last year.

I don't think there's anything Tesla has done that I haven't loved
    "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.
    Ronald Greer is also a medic. Your argument is invalid.
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Whitt Remastered View Post
    Secondly, I think that everything DigiFluid is good.
    Sandcastle Builder: The game of XKCD: Time

Staff Sergeant Dr-Helen-Granger's Avatar

Sam Re: Awakening (316)

Hi, I'm new and this is my first post.
    This episode was AMAZING! I loved everything that happened in it and the acting from AT and JY was suburb as always. Its one of my all time favorites in this series