Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jameshawking View Post
    Also:

Anyone else think that it would be pretty cool for this episode to have at least had a reference to "Sister of Mine"?
    Could have done with a reference, not that anyone other than the Doctor and the audience would have got it (although he did repeat 'Are you my mummy?' whilst wearing a gas mask in the Sontaran two-parter in Series 4). Also remember that Sister of Mine wasn't imprisoned in the mirrors until the early 20th century. This episode is set 300 years prior.
    I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
    Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

Frankly, while I enjoyed the episode, I had some troubles with a few points with the plot. The one I was the most annoyed by was the fact that when first entering the space-ship, the doctor is able to throw something through the window which lands on the boat, despite there being no reflective surface on the deck of the ship
      The props for the jewelry were subpar, normally something which I'd be okay with, but in this ep, they were clearly not reflective.
      Some dude vanished. Poor soul.
      Amy does about a minute of cpr at the ending before giving up. This despite Rory having lain in the water for less than a minute before getting picked up by the siren. This means he has more than 5 minutes left before he'd start taking notable brain damage (2 minutes of air and then 3 minutes before notable brain damage).
      The death-by-snot felt odd, because the aliens had an overactive nurse on board, which should have been able to either stasis them or cure them.

Also, i'm pretty sure the ship was not from an alternate universe, but just out of phase, quantum-linked, one second out of sync, dimensionally sunk, ethereal, post-material, one with the dreamworld or something else like that. Alternate universes are apparently hard to get to in DW nowadays, so probability suggests something else made it be in one place.

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
        Loved this episode. Pirates in Doctor Who is fantastic. I loved the Siren idea, she looked really cool (kinda reminded me of the White Witch's appearance in Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader movie for some reason). Her face sure grew distorted when she was angry! Cool to see the pirates(apparently) in space in the end. Would be neat to see them again far down the line.

The eye-patch lady is very odd. But I'm trying not to guess who she is as I want to be completely surprised.

Next week looks like another winner!
        I wouldn't be surprised if we see the pirates pop again later this season to actually help out the Doctor and his companions.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
          I wouldn't be surprised if we see the pirates pop again later this season to actually help out the Doctor and his companions.
          I like to stay away from spoilers, but it would be neat to see them again so soon!

Comment

The pirates in space were fun at the end. Delightfully anachronistic.
            || twitter || tumblr ||

Comment

Originally posted by ijffdrie View Post
              Amy does about a minute of cpr at the ending before giving up. This despite Rory having lain in the water for less than a minute before getting picked up by the siren. This means he has more than 5 minutes left before he'd start taking notable brain damage (2 minutes of air and then 3 minutes before notable brain damage).
              The death-by-snot felt odd, because the aliens had an overactive nurse on board, which should have been able to either stasis them or cure them.

Well you also have to remember that The HoloNurse wasn't "smart" enough to figure out that if she took the water out of Rory's lungs that he would get better.
              I like Sharky
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The Flyattractor View Post
                Well you also have to remember that The HoloNurse wasn't "smart" enough to figure out that if she took the water out of Rory's lungs that he would get better.
                The Nurse wasn't created for humans, so didn't know how to properly heal them. Same thing happened with the child in season 1 who'd only say "are you my mummy". They had no idea how to heal humans without proper programming. Small stuff like cuts the Nurse could do, but big stuff like diseases and drownings she couldn't. It's how the original crew died to begin with, human diseases. There is a chance that the original crew gave up their medical rights for treatment in an attempt and wasn't able to save them, just like Amy deciding to remove Rory.

sigpic

Comment

I don't know about this episode it was ok I suppose.

The Best Line was when they first went into the sick bay.

Amy: Rory!
                  The Captain: Toby!
                  The Doctor: The TARDIS!

It kept me guessing all the way though.

Comment

Can't believe I haven't posted in here yet!

Not a bad episode, all in all. Hugh Bonneville seemed to be having fun playing a pirate, I liked the slight continuation of the idea that mirrors are gateways to other places that Family of Blood touched upon and the whole idea that the Siren wasn't evil but simply something good taken out of the context of her normal surroundings was an interesting and welcome development. Also, would I be right in saying that is another episode where 'everybody lives'?
                    And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
                    sigpic
                    Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Except the aliens on the crashed ship

N.C

Comment

Originally posted by Nth Chevron View Post
                        Except the aliens on the crashed ship

N.C
                        Ah yes, good point, hadn't considered them. Damn my occasional speciesist tendencies!
                        And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
                        sigpic
                        Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

this is a good episode. it was just a interesting concept. the siren being a computer program was a great twist
                          sigpic

Comment

Did I miss something?

How did the Pirate and the boy (I think his son) get freed from the Nurse and the sick bay to fly the ship? I think it was the same ship the sick bay was in too wasn't it? How did they get free of the nurse?

Lily Cole was nice as the nurse too. I liked her angry face
                            Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

The Doctor: Ignore all my previous theories!
                              Amy: Yeah, well we stopped paying attention a while back.

Grimm returns October 24
                              sigpic

Signature and Avatar by Hyndara71 - Thank you very much
                              Profile Picture by BM-Shipper

Comment

Weird episode, but I loved the alien twist.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X