The Curse of the Black Spot (3203)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pbellosom View Post
    I liked this episode, but there's not really much to say about it now it's done.

One point that bugged me and the friends I watched it with. There were two pirates in the mutiny, one got cut and the other ran off with the treasure only to burn himself. What happened to the other one? He seemed to disappear from the episode until the end, was there a scene where the Siren got him that somehow me and my friends all blanked?
    I had a problem with this too. It's like his character just disappeared from the rest of the episode without explanation.
    I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
    Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

Originally posted by Teddybrown View Post
      Also, Im rewatching the episode now and your right pbellosom, from what I can see, the other pirate just disappears...
      He injured himself on his light when he ran off. The siren took him before The Doctor could get in the room. There was a glow under the door the same colour as the siren.

Comment

Originally posted by KyshaMalini View Post
        He injured himself on his light when he ran off. The siren took him before The Doctor could get in the room. There was a glow under the door the same colour as the siren.
        W're not talking about him. We're talking about the other one, the one who Toby cuts and thus has to stay in the (at the time believed to be safe) powder room. He just disappears and then crops up again in the final scene as if he'd been taking by the Siren, but it was never even implied that happened.

Comment

1. First impression, Dr Who does pirates.

2. Second impression, Siren is from an alternate dimension.

3. Could a 21st century woman really duel effectively with 17th century pirates?

4. Could 17th century pirates fly a spaceship?

OK but not awesome.
          I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt G View Post
            3. Could a 21st century woman really duel effectively with 17th century pirates?
            17th century pirates who are terrified of having blood drawn armed with a stick while she has a sword? I'll give Amy the benefit of the doubt

Comment

Originally posted by Matt G View Post
              1. First impression, Dr Who does pirates.

2. Second impression, Siren is from an alternate dimension.

4. Could 17th century pirates fly a spaceship?

OK but not awesome.
              Yeah, I thought that, but as pbellosom said, they were scared of drawing blood...

Comment

Good episode, but I'm annoyed by how the smacked us upside the head with a quick recap of the plot so far.

Guys, it was only a week ago. Seriously.

Also, I just noticed something:

David Tennent started as Casanova, and Matt Smith owes Casanova a chicken.

Yes, I am slow.

Frankly, this episode was interesting, but it unfortunately got sandwiched between the first two-parter and the....seemingly much more epic episode next, with Time Lords, the voice that killed hundreds of them, and badassery abounding.

Side-note: could these pirates be the forebearers of those in "The Coming of the Terraphiles"?

Comment

awesome episode. i too noticed the mysterious disappearing pirate and was wondering about the sword fighting, but it makes sense that they wern't fighting hard because they didn't want to get too close to her coz then they'd die.

i like the idea that the eye patch woman is amy's future/present midwife, i didn't even think of that! top banana
                  "victimsofninjasayidsaywhat?"
                  "what?"
                  *throat punch*
                  My blog: kathysnumber1blog.blogspot.com
                  LVI now open to all fandoms!!! http://lostvideo.net/

Comment

Just thinking about the first time we saw eye patch lady, and the idea of her being Amys midwife, why would she say 'No, I think shes just dreaming'?, would a midwife say that? What would that mean?

Comment

I'm also sure she said something like "Stay calm and you'll be fine", I don't remember her saying anything about needing to push?

Maybe the disappearing pirate ended up on the cutting room floor (old techy speak for the scene being cut) something as simple as that, last time The Moff made a continuity error was the photo's on the wall in Amy's bedroom that changed halfway through a scene.

Comment

Also:

Anyone else think that it would be pretty cool for this episode to have at least had a reference to "Sister of Mine"?

Comment

Originally posted by jameshawking View Post
                          Also:

Anyone else think that it would be pretty cool for this episode to have at least had a reference to "Sister of Mine"?
                          Yeah, that would have been really cool.

Just rewatched the episode, and I have to say, despite all the practical and logical problems, the last 5 minutes of the episode have to be some of my favorite of Eleven, Amy, and Rory's so far in terms of character moments. Despite Rory's dying being repetitive at this point, I was much more worried about Rory here than in Amy's Choice or the Silurian episode just because the emotion (for Amy and the Doctor) and cinematography was done so much better in this instance.

Also, the little exchange they all have at the end was to die for (the whole "Good night Amelia" "Good night Doctor"). They were all so perfectly in character: the loving playfulness between Amy and Rory, the familiar formality between Amy and the Doctor, the cross fatherly aloofness of the Doctor toward Amy as he tries to figure out what's wrong with her behind her back...

If we could have more character moments like this, I would be in heaven.

Comment

Loved this episode. Pirates in Doctor Who is fantastic. I loved the Siren idea, she looked really cool (kinda reminded me of the White Witch's appearance in Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader movie for some reason). Her face sure grew distorted when she was angry! Cool to see the pirates(apparently) in space in the end. Would be neat to see them again far down the line.

The eye-patch lady is very odd. But I'm trying not to guess who she is as I want to be completely surprised.

Next week looks like another winner!

Comment

In my opinion i think the little girls is the Doctors daughter.
                              but the Tardis say's she is and she isn't so this could mean It may happen or not just a guess. time isn't always set, it's always changing you never know. so far the season is looking good

Comment

Originally posted by pbellosom View Post
                                W're not talking about him. We're talking about the other one, the one who Toby cuts and thus has to stay in the (at the time believed to be safe) powder room. He just disappears and then crops up again in the final scene as if he'd been taking by the Siren, but it was never even implied that happened.
                                I agree. It's a bit plotholey.
                                I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
                                Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

Working...
                                X