No announcement yet.

The Impossible Astronaut (3201)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So...wait, has Rory died again? Is he going for the Daniel Jackson record, or has something completely different happened to him? Assuming of course that something actually happened to him since we didn't quite see it on screen.

Originally posted by Teddybrown View Post
    Wow, unlucky!
    I was worried id miss it, I got a cracking strom going on outside and my box was playing up, but it survived through the episode
    That must be what took mine out - got some interference, it froze and then just turned itself off after five minutes of doing nothing and not responding to anything. I was not pleased.
    And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
    sigpic
    Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

So they killed the doctor. So what, everyone knows it will be undone by the end of the season or when ever Matt decides to retire from the role. Disappointing really. Would have been better if they recast the Doctor, then it would have been more real.

An Amy is the cause of the Doctor death as she shot the astronaut, That how it going to turn out.

Overall a pretty meh. The reports that this was going to be dark was let down, it was no darker than what we saw last season.

The Silence may an alright enemy but they just did not seem real and they also seemed over hype. I mean all that thunder and lightening to kill a single human being, come on, some one has powerful as they making out the silence to be and they have to put all that effort into killing some lonely secretary.

Nixon was not to bad, through I would have thought someone in his position would have been well brief on the Doctor anyway, either by UNITE or his own intelligence agency. After all they have got that massive bunker where they store all the Aliens artefacts and so fourth called Area 51.

Overall a 7, and that being generous. Again the show is let down by not going far enough and being to over the top in many places. There a thing for being a bit subtle every now and again.

The only thing I really like was the fact that Amy pregnant and the possibility it opening up stories in the future.
      Last edited by knowles2; 23 April 2011, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Okay...now I've had some time to assimilate the awesomeness that is the first part of The Impossible Planet I think I can say what I need to say...THAT. WAS. BRILLIANT!!!! I can see things getting far darker from here on out!!!! I can't wait!!!!!

I was totally shocked by the Doctor's death within the first few moments of the story. Wow oh wow. So...is the Doctor's eleventh incarnation really his last? Is the Doctor's fate really set and that IS the end? The Doctor dies in America? If so will we see the in-between 200-years of adventures with companions other than Amy and Rory in future series to come? Plenty of questions...look forward to the answers to come.

Who is that child and how did he end up in that astronaut suit? How did the astronaut end up with such powers so it could kill the Doctor and is it indeed the same child from 1969 only now grown-up in 2011?

The Time Engine from The Lodger is back...assuming it is the same Time Engine. What is it doing there and does it have links to the Silence?

The Silence are obviously capable of killing on a whim and find it gives them pleasure and judging by what we learned in the last series they can kill on a massive scale. What and who are the Silence exactly and what are their goals? What do they want Amy to tell the Doctor? Did they mean what she tells him towards the end of Part 1 or do they mean something else altogether?

Amy's pregnant?! I wish I were the father. Is Rory actually the father?

Who is River Song? The Doctor first met her in Silence in the Library...but when and how did River first meet the Doctor?

What's happened to Rory? Have the Silence killed him?

Lots and lots of questions and we've been left on a hell of a cliffhanger....cannot wait for Part 2 next Saturday to get that resolved and for every story that follows this 2-parter to get the answers!!!!

GERONIMO!!!!!

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
        K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral Mappalazarou View Post
          Just going to point out that the machine that might be a TARDIS might not be a TARDIS after all. No one ever says that. What they do notice is that it's bigger on the inside and has a console device, but the Genesis Ark was bigger on the inside and we never saw inside of that. Maybe it had one too. Maybe it's a custom of all bigger-on-the-inside tech.

With that in mind and Moffat's wonderful ability to refer back to previous episodes . . . It's possible that the Lodger 'TARDIS' may in fact be a prison ship, a broken one from the looks of things, and that the Silence were an enemy in the Time War (perhaps like the Could Have Been King and his army of Never Were's). If they were a great enemy then it would explain two things;

1) How they managed to somehow control and blow up the TARDIS and . . .

2) How in one of the Series 6 trailers we hear a voice tell the Doctor: 'Fear me! I've killed hundreds of Time Lords!'
          Of course that's a jump on my part, but I do love speculation after a good ol' DW series opener I missed it!
          I dont think they are the voice that says fear me Ive killed hundreds of Time Lords, the voices sounded different to me. Ill have to rewatch the trailer and this episode.

EDIT: Just rewatched the part with Amy and the Silence in the toilet, and the trailer, and I dont think its the Silence that says the fear me.

And as for the possibility that Rory could be dead, he doesnt stay dead for long because we see him

Spoiler:
          in the pictures released with episodes 3 and 7
          Episode 7 picture has him standing infront of the Cybermen in Roman wear and the synopsis for episode 7 mentions him

I personally dont think Rorys dead.
          We will have to wait and see...

EDIT: Rorys in the trailer alot so I dont think hes dead...
          Last edited by Teddybrown; 23 April 2011, 12:17 PM.

Comment

I didn't know it was on today, I thought it was tomorrow.

BBC iPlayer, here I come.

--

10 minutes in and Oh my god, Oh my god, Oh my god, Oh my god, Oh my god, Oh my god, Oh my god, Oh my god, Oh my god, Oh my god, Oh my god, Oh my god, Oh my god, Oh my god, Oh my god, Oh my god, Oh my god, Oh my god, Oh my god, Oh my god, Oh my god, Oh my god, Oh my god, Oh my god, Oh my god, Oh my god, Oh my god, Oh my god, Oh my god, Oh my god, Oh my god, Oh my god, Oh my god, Oh my god, Oh my god, Oh my god, Oh my god, Oh my god, Oh my god, Oh my god, Oh my god, Oh my god, Oh my god, Oh my god, Oh my god, Oh my god, Oh my god, Oh my god, Oh my god, Oh my god, Oh my god, Oh my god, Oh my god, Oh my god, Oh my god, Oh my god, Oh my god.
            Last edited by SaberBlade; 23 April 2011, 01:32 PM.

sigpic

Comment

You know the man in chains and has a beard in the trailer, is it me or does that look like the Doctor?
              Episode 2 looks awesome!!!

Heres the trailer
              http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/dw/videos/p00gk4mb

And 2 clips
              http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/dw/videos/p00gk4lg
              http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/dw/videos/p00gk4l1

Not very spoilery, just explains the markings on them and that they feel sick when they see them.
              Clip 2 makes me think the next episode will be creepier than the first episode

Comment

1. HMFS! They can't possibly let that come to pass!

2. What the hell are these creatures exactly?

3. It explains why Amy and River were seemingly taking charge of the Dr in the trailers.

4. Why the hell did the Dr invite Canton to his wake? Purely because he was involved with the 1969 incident?

Certainly an interesting start.
                I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt G View Post
                  1. HMFS! They can't possibly let that come to pass!

2. What the hell are these creatures exactly?

3. It explains why Amy and River were seemingly taking charge of the Dr in the trailers.

4. Why the hell did the Dr invite Canton to his wake? Purely because he was involved with the 1969 incident?
                  Certainly an interesting start.
                  Probably to get River, Rory and Amy to go to 1969, and hes involved with the Spaceman

Also, is it just me or did the Doctor Who site release 2 spoiler photos this morning, heres the link
                  http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/dw/ne..._Next_24_Hours

Comment

Well...now that I've watched it a couple of times and had time to digest it a bit better (and download it from iPlayer so I don't have to keep waiting for it to buffer), I like it.

Spoiler:
                    The Doctor's death - yeah, that's never going to stick, we all know that, but it's certainly a clever and very well done shock tactic to leave us guessing and get us engaged. I know that I for one entertained the possibility that it was a shock regeneration and we'd be introduced to the/a Twelfth Doctor...but only for about three seconds.

Why is the Doctor two hundred years older? Where was 'old' Eleven's TARDIS left after he was shot and killed mid-regeneration?

The Silence/Silents...interesting. Their pseudo-perception filter ability is very interesting and typical of Moffat's genius. I wonder though if Joy and Rory are actually dead, or if the Silence are necessarily evil - at least all of them. Why was one of them so keen to catch Amy's attention and talk to her? Could they in fact need the Doctor's help? The Moff is unusually good at misdirection, so could the fact that everybody is reacting negatively to these creatures without actually knowing anything about them another instance of that?

Nixon...eh. Not remotely convincing, sorry. From all the photos and stock footage I've seen, he just doesn't seem to resemble him that well.

Mark Sheppard, always good. Badger, Romo Lampkin, and so far I think Canton Everett Delaware III is my favourite.

New TARDIS abilities? Has the TARDIS been invisible or landed silently before (other than River's VWORP-less landing in Time of Angels...)?

Is Amy really pregnant?
                    Last edited by Sealurk; 23 April 2011, 02:29 PM.
                    And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
                    sigpic
                    Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Great start, but I felt it started to slow down towards the end. Loved the dialogue though. I'll be using spoilers until it airs in the US even if someone of them happened to fall on their keyboard and it appears on their screen like magic.

Spoiler:
                      "I got in here with a big blue box, three friends, do you think you can just shoot me"
                      "THEY'RE AMERICANS"
                      "oh god, don't shoot, don't shoot".

Amy's pregnancy was a bit predictable, instantly thought of it she started to feel sick. I thought I may have been wrong the same feeling happened to River but I felt I was probably right.

The little girl Astronaut was interesting, but I think ending using Amy taking a shot at her was a bad way to end the episode, as we saw River do it earlier in the episode with no effect. What I really did love was River talking about how she and the Doctor keep going backwards, and that eventually she'd meet him and he wouldn't know her, which would kill her. She of course meant emotionally kill her, but the fact she dies physically was a great reference to the Library.
                      Last edited by SaberBlade; 23 April 2011, 02:47 PM.

sigpic

Comment

Alright, I thought this was very good. But, someone refresh my memory, where in the episode does it tell us that the Asgard looking gray aliens are the Silence?
                        Brian J. Smith Thunk Thread - New SGU Hottie
                        Zachary Quinto Thunk Thread - Sexy/Scary Sylar

Comment

Originally posted by Sealurk View Post
                          Well...now that I've watched it a couple of times and had time to digest it a bit better (and download it from iPlayer so I don't have to keep waiting for it to buffer), I like it.

The Doctor's death - yeah, that's never going to stick, we all know that, but it's certainly a clever and very well done shock tactic to leave us guessing and get us engaged. I know that I for one entertained the possibility that it was a shock regeneration and we'd be introduced to the/a Twelfth Doctor...but only for about three seconds.

Why is the Doctor two hundred years older? Where was 'old' Eleven's TARDIS left after he was shot and killed mid-regeneration?

The Silence/Silents...interesting. Their pseudo-perception filter ability is very interesting and typical of Moffat's genius. I wonder though if Joy and Rory are actually dead, or if the Silence are necessarily evil - at least all of them. Why was one of them so keen to catch Amy's attention and talk to her? Could they in fact need the Doctor's help? The Moff is unusually good at misdirection, so could the fact that everybody is reacting negatively to these creatures without actually knowing anything about them another instance of that?

Nixon...eh. Not remotely convincing, sorry. From all the photos and stock footage I've seen, he just doesn't seem to resemble him that well.

Mark Sheppard, always good. Badger, Romo Lampkin, and so far I think Canton Everett Delaware III is my favourite.

New TARDIS abilities? Has the TARDIS been invisible or landed silently before (other than River's VWORP-less landing in Time of Angels...)?

Is Amy really pregnant?
                          The answers to all those questions you asked will undoubtedly be answered in Part 2 and all the stories that follow but the one I can answer...the one in bold...yes. In the 1968 story The Invasion the Doctor made the TARDIS invisible and in the 1964 story The Dalek Invasion of Earth, the TARDIS materialised without the usual "VWORP VWORP" sound.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
                          K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Ah, yes, spoilers! Post suitably edited...

Spoiler:
                            Moffat definitely loves phones that can't ring ringing - didn't that happen a lot in The Empty Child? Very spooky though, can't argue with that.

Some brilliant lines. "Why would anyone want to trap us?" "Dunno. Let's see if anyone tries to kill us and work backwards."

"Lifesigns?" "No, nothing that's showing up." "Those are the worst kind..."

"Rory, would you mind going with her?" "Yeah, a bit." "Then I appreciate it all the more." Got to love Moffat's writing.

My first thought on seeing the aliens in the tunnels was actually 'Ood!', and it did briefly occur to me that they could be related in some way, but I now think it's too much of a leap.
                            Last edited by Sealurk; 23 April 2011, 02:42 PM.
                            sigpic

Comment

Speculation for next week's episode / spoiler based on the Next Time trailer:
                              Spoiler:
                              Did anybody else notice that Amy, Rory and River seem to have things hanging around their necks, vaguely similar (couldn't find a decent enough shot) to the perception filters used by the Tenth Doctor, Martha and Jack in The Sound of Drums? Maybe altered to cancel out the alien's own perception filter effect?
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sealurk View Post
                                Speculation for next week's episode / spoiler based on the Next Time trailer:
                                Spoiler:
                                Did anybody else notice that Amy, Rory and River seem to have things hanging around their necks, vaguely similar (couldn't find a decent enough shot) to the perception filters used by the Tenth Doctor, Martha and Jack in The Sound of Drums? Maybe altered to cancel out the alien's own perception filter effect?
                                Just rewatched the clip, you get a good look at one around Rorys neck and it doesnt look like what they used in The Sound of The Drums. Also, Amy is wearing one and River does in the trailer but not in the clip, so I dont know what they are for specifically, we should find out next week.
                                Also, River isnt wearing one (but in the trailer she is seen wearing one) and in the clip she doesnt have one on but
                                Spoiler:
                                she remembers them, so I dont think they work on memory

In the clip
                                Spoiler:
                                They can remember the Silence, but they cant remember what they look like

The clip is after they mark themselves I think because they mention that

Most of these questions should be answered next week =)

Comment

Working...
                                X