Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game of Thrones Books (Spoilers for everything)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was Tyrion as like-able in the books so quickly? I seem to remember it taking a while to warm up to him, but maybe I'm imagining that.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy_Watson View Post
      Was Tyrion as like-able in the books so quickly? I seem to remember it taking a while to warm up to him, but maybe I'm imagining that.
      I think it depends. I liked him pretty early on because he was quick witted and always had clever/funny/cynical things to say.
      sigpic

Comment

I've just picked up the first novel in the series today. I kept looking at it every time I went to the store because I was obviously fascinated with the concept, but never committed till now.

Can anyone answer as to how complicated the story line is? I mean, is it an easy read that absorbs you in the pages, or is it one of those that you need to read a bit slower to make sure you don't miss something vital for everything to gel and make sense?

Comment

Originally posted by Celandine View Post
          Can anyone answer as to how complicated the story line is? I mean, is it an easy read that absorbs you in the pages, or is it one of those that you need to read a bit slower to make sure you don't miss something vital for everything to gel and make sense?
          The whole series is written from different characters' point of view. These characters are not always in the same place but the action is happening concurrently most of the time. So I would say you need to pay attention to detail because the actions and events around one character affect the point of view of another. But the chapters don't always flow that way so you would need to remember what happened a couple chapters back.
          sigpic

Comment

Yep, and it can get very hard to follow things from one book to the next. There is a lot going on. (in a good way)

Comment

Originally posted by magictrick View Post
              The whole series is written from different characters' point of view. These characters are not always in the same place but the action is happening concurrently most of the time. So I would say you need to pay attention to detail because the actions and events around one character affect the point of view of another. But the chapters don't always flow that way so you would need to remember what happened a couple chapters back.
              Yep, and it can get very hard to follow things from one book to the next. There is a lot going on. (in a good way)
              Hmm, okay. Thanks. I was sort of thinking the same thing after thumbing through it earlier. I don't mind an involved storyline and character POV changing throughout, as long as it's written well so the reader doesnt get horribly lost or confused. It does give a broader view which isnt a bad thing.

Really looking forward to starting it, hopefully by tomorrow! Finishing up a Pratchett book and I be diving in then.

Comment

News about ADWD, that the very long book won't be split in two volumes.
                http://thewertzone.blogspot.com/2011...ll-not-be.html

GRRM is still not finished with the manuscript...
                sigpic
                My short movie "Red Bag" / The Scifi Guys Podcast / My Twitter account

Comment

I read the book 7 years ago but I didn't have a very positive reaction to Tyrion at first. Spending time with Jon on the Wall though changed my opinion. I find Peter Dinklage's Tyrion much more likable from the start, especially with the way he slapped Joffrey around.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Andron View Post
                    News about ADWD, that the very long book won't be split in two volumes.
                    http://thewertzone.blogspot.com/2011...ll-not-be.html

GRRM is still not finished with the manuscript...
                    He's not finished the manuscript but the release date has been set? I hope this doesn't mean a push back.
                    sigpic

Comment

George R. R. Martin has posted a picture of a fallen King Kong (his self-chosen metaphor for A Dance with Dragons). This suggests...but doesn't explicitly confirm...that GRRM may have finally finished writing the fifth A Song of Ice and Fire book.The long-overdue official announcement may follow soon.
                      http://grrm.livejournal.com/212603.html

2.5 months till the release
                      sigpic

Comment

Now the publisher confirmed it, ADWD is done
                        http://suvudu.com/2011/04/yes-it-is-done-really.html
                        sigpic

Comment

More proof that GRRM finished ADWD. Editor Anne Groell talks about receiving the GRRM manuscript in this video
                          http://www.facebook.com/video/video....33999&comments
                          sigpic

Comment

My husband has read all the books. He'll be happy to know the new one is FINALLY done

We were at the local pawn shop today. He saw the 1st 3 books for $3 each so picked them up. We now have a much smaller library to get books from so it was good to find them there. I also noticed the bloody things are THICK! He's started to re read the first book which is okay because he's a fast reader and I have to finish up my current library book anyway.

I'm PVRing the series and we'll wait to watch it over the summer when the kids are visiting grandparents so that we can watch them whenever like we did for Pilliars of the Earth.
                            Orphan Black: Join the Clone Club Dance Party!

Comment

OMG. Once I finished the book I was on, I started reading the first book in this series, Game of Thrones. I saw the heft of it and the print was tiny so thought it would take awhile to get through because I was forewarned that it was very detailed. Uh, no. It's a very easy read and I must applaud George R..R. Martin for taking a multi-character story with so much going on and weave it so effortlessly AND get you inside the head of so many people, viewing everything from their eyes and perspective.

For example, in the HBO series which I'm also watching in tandem, Tyrion wasn't as 'likable' compared to the book. He's now become my new favorite to watch out for.

Overall, very well pleased and am eagerly looking forward in the coming months to reading the rest of the books.

Comment

No. Four books have been released. A Dance With Dragons will be out 7/12/11. It is the fifth book in the series. Two more books are planned. The plan for the series is one book per season. However, many suspect ASOS the largest published book in the series (so far) will be split into two seasons. If ADWD is as long as everyone suspects it may get the same treatment.
                                All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Comment

Working...
                                X