Fanfic Writers' Virtual Water Cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fanfic Writers' Virtual Water Cooler

Okay, so every once in a while we all need to take a momentary break from the creative process, without getting so far outside of it that we have trouble jumping back in. Think of this as coming up for air, or walking a few feet to the water cooler to kibbitz with other writers about whatever is on your mind, especially if it pertains -- however tangentially -- to writing and doesn't fit in one of the other fanfic section threads.

For example, I just realized that while wormhole physics is fun to write about, it also gives me a headache.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
    Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
    sigpic
    now also appearing on DeviantArt
    Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

I avoid all major scientific specifics for exactly that reason. I go with the justification of hey, it's sci-fi, suspension of disbelief and buying into sci-fi concepts is a prerequisite for the genre.

Comment

I try, where possible, to keep the science simple when I write.
      For instance I have 2 time travel stories in the works...

I hate Temporal Theory
      I hate Temporal Theory Too...!

And a 3rd one in planning...

I thought I told You that I hate Temporal Theory...

I'm going to use the 'Solar Flare' method. Which appeared in the episode '1969' and was also used in the episode '2010' and used by Ba'al in 'Continuum'

But in doing the research, and SF&C will confirm...
      Temporal Theory gives me a headache...
      "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
      Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
      Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
      Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
      I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
      To thy own self... Be true
      May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Since we are discussing things ...

I hate writers block...

Anyone know of any good tricks to get over it lol
        This isn't about love. This is about revenge....

Comment

Originally posted by sbz View Post
          I avoid all major scientific specifics for exactly that reason. I go with the justification of hey, it's sci-fi, suspension of disbelief and buying into sci-fi concepts is a prerequisite for the genre.
          Personally, if it makes sense to a 'layperson' then i'll accept it.I find i'm getting more and more annoyed when i'm 'called out' on physics things which only people who study the subject would care about. That being said, plausibility is different than realistic.
          Originally posted by Apostle's Message Redux
          Shepard understood. Given the situation, he wasn't sure that exposing the planet to this kind of secret was smart. Miranda had regaled him with stories of how horrible 20th century Earth sounded in her history lessons and it made him leery. "I agree, god knows what would happen if Grunt got loose."

Joker snorted and muttered loudly. "Run! It's The Incredible Hulk! Kill it with fire!"
          Read the story ---- Apostle's Message Redux, ME/SG Crossover

Comment

Originally posted by sbz View Post
            Well, I'm writing Carter in that particular passage, and the scientific material I need her to be thinking about is actually very germane to the plot, so I don't have much choice, really. Fortunately, I seemed to be almost channeling her as well... it's just that her mind can wrap around things mine has to work at.

Originally posted by AllyCat View Post
            Since we are discussing things ...

I hate writers block...

Yes, actually. Put aside the project that you're blocked on, and write something else for a while. I did that back in September, when I put aside the original project I was blocked on, and turned to writing my first fanfic ever. It's now April, and I've published over 99k words of what I think is some of my best work to date as a writer... and it's fanfic. I have at least half that much more complete on my hard drive waiting to be published once I write the connecting material. Bonus: the creative juices got flowing again such that I should be able to turn them to my earlier project, some of what I learned in terms of "nuts and bolts" of writing from the fanfic will go to improving my original project, and I even got a wild idea that should help me to advance past the point where I was blocked.

I've also found myself blocked a couple of times in the fanfic, in which cases I went and did some writing on its sequel for a while, until I moved past the block and could return to the first story.

Originally posted by Starfist View Post
            I'm going to use the 'Solar Flare' method. Which appeared in the episode '1969' and was also used in the episode '2010' and used by Ba'al in 'Continuum'

But in doing the research, and SF&C will confirm...
            Temporal Theory gives me a headache...
            If you want help with the scientific stuff, let me know. Apparently Carter likes hanging out in my head, 'cause she's still there this morning, so we'll ask her for help.
            Last edited by SF_and_Coffee; 14 April 2011, 07:13 AM.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
            Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic
            Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Originally posted by AllyCat View Post
              I hate writers block...

Oh, beating writers block is SO easy: you poke it with a stick until it goes away!
              I mean jeez its not that hard now is it??

I tend to 'beat' it by going and writing/creating/doing something else. Doesn't have to be fan fiction or writing, but maybe something you've been putting off for a while, or something you've been meaning to do.

eg: I've recently moved, and i've realised i've got way, way, way, WAY too much stuff than i expected, so i'd properly go do some de-cluttering!

Something to get you thinking differently, and then with said 'thing/problem' out of the way or complete, you might find you can attack the 'writers block' more succesfully.

That, or a little retail therapy. TOO AMAZON!!! ;p

(hmm. I think I've realised why i have so much clutter...)
              [''... I laugh at your reality..''][ STARGATE FAN COMIC: 'Hallowed Turf' ] [-DeviantArt-] [ ".... and a seagull."]

sigpic

Comment

I'll sometimes go for a walk or long drive and just stop thinking about being blocked. Don't stress over it or you make it worse.
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I find analyzing my work to help with writer's block. I'm missing something, or I've driven myself into a corner I didn't intend to and I can't get to where I want to be.

It's like ripping out the thread when you sewed something the wrong way, you go back, figure out where you went awry, take the wrong pieces out, and start over.

Not as easy or short as it seems, but it works for me. Also, Skydiver's right. Stress just makes things worse.
                  Price for Pain What do you mean violence isn't the answer?

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

Ficta voluptatis causa sint proxima veris

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

Whew! I just finished the latest Carter passage. Now I just hope it reads like something that makes sense.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                    Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

Writer's block - do some free writing.
                      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

*gets some water*
                        Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

Originally posted by mathpiglet View Post
                          *gets some water*
                          I just hope it's not the one form Phantasmagoria 2
                          Price for Pain What do you mean violence isn't the answer?

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

Ficta voluptatis causa sint proxima veris

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

Reading is always good to get over a writers-block. Unfortunately not always fanfiction but some good novels will refill the virtual tank .

Original eBook:Der Spuk im Rosenhaus
                            Sig & Avi by Josi
                            sigpic
                            LJ, FanFic-Blog(the longest lasting German SG-fanfic series), Profile at ff.net, Profile at FF.de,Profile at deviantART (Sorry, fanfics mostly in German)
                            I'm on Twitter and on Facebook Tumblr and AO3

Comment

Some awesome suggestions guys, thank you. I shall start on some of them right away...

Cuz I so want to get back to my Bastet fanfic. She was soooo under used
                              This isn't about love. This is about revenge....

Comment

Working...
                              X