Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345 67815 ... LastLast

Thread: Grammar / Spelling / Punctuation Discussion and Appreciation (questions welcome!)

Lieutenant Colonel SF_and_Coffee's Avatar

Default Re: Grammar / Spelling / Punctuation Discussion and Appreciation (questions welcome!)

Pssst... the past tense of lead is led.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
    Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3

now also appearing on DeviantArt
    Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

You call that a glowstick?
    (Moderator)

Default Re: Grammar / Spelling / Punctuation Discussion and Appreciation (questions welcome!)

i go with that

whomever's voice you're writing in, that's how you address the other characters.

teal'c calls sam captain/major/colonel carter, he calls jack o'neill, calls daniel daniel jackson, etc

even though you're omniscient, you're going to have characters speaking to each other, so you use the speaker's voice.

i think, when it's not from a person's specific POV, just keep it consistent. Don't see how many different ways you can refer to daniel in a single paragraph

First Lieutenant Feast of the Muse's Avatar

Oops. I've said it before, and I'll say it again - I'm a terrible typist. Thank goodness I usually catch them all... thanks for the point.

Quote Originally Posted by Feast of the Muse View Post
    Taking a stab at it here - as you say, there is no rule.

Personally, I call them by what the other characters do. When my character Sarah first meets Sam, she calls her either Doctor or Major, until they get to know each other and Sam asks her to call her Sam. After that point in the writing, she is referred to as Sam, instead of, for example, "Major Carter led them out of the room."
    Thanks. My inner editor and my inner writer can sometimes confuse each other.
    BiAA (under maintenance)-Burn away ignorance and reveal knowledge. Burn away fear and reveal truth. Burn away humanity...

Manhood There are some things men just won't understand, no matter what your species.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot When 'Problem solved!' is the last thing you want to hear. Thread

Warning: All fics are rated M wraith fics. They contain gore, non-con, and adult issues.

Seeking advice for video editing

Quote Originally Posted by WraithRichard View Post
    Thanks. My inner editor and my inner writer can sometimes confuse each other.
    You're welcome! I know what you mean, too.

Also just saw this in my email:
    Once the sunsets we are gone.
    Uh boy.

More questions:

1. The sentence 'You've also been giving the guards a hard time getting here' sounds awkward and I think it will even if I add the word 'you.' How best should I write this?

2. The sentence 'The best off you have given me so far is...' should there be commas around 'so far'?

3. The sentence 'He was dressed differently than those on Atlantis, similar to Sheppard when he dressed causally.' Should that be 'similarly'?
    BiAA (under maintenance)-Burn away ignorance and reveal knowledge. Burn away fear and reveal truth. Burn away humanity...

Manhood There are some things men just won't understand, no matter what your species.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot When 'Problem solved!' is the last thing you want to hear. Thread

Warning: All fics are rated M wraith fics. They contain gore, non-con, and adult issues.

More questions:

1. The sentence 'You've also been giving the guards a hard time getting here' sounds awkward and I think it will even if I add the word 'you.' How best should I write this?
    I can't even find a place in that sentence for the word "you". However, I interpret the original sentence to mean, "You've been giving the guards a hard time while you've been getting here" or "You've been giving the guards a hard time at their own getting here". Which is closer to your intentions? If I know that, I can probably help you with its structure.

2. The sentence 'The best off you have given me so far is...' should there be commas around 'so far'?
    Before addressing punctuation, I need to know what the sentence is intended to mean. "The best off" - what does that phrase mean? Are you sure it shouldn't be "The best of?"

3. The sentence 'He was dressed differently than those on Atlantis, similar to Sheppard when he dressed causally.' Should that be 'similarly'?
    Yes.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
    Sum, ergo scribo...

Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

1. "You've been giving the guards a hard time getting here." Without the context, I can't say whether that's the precise meaning you're going after ("giving someone a hard time" can be interpreted as faux teasing/chiding etc throughout the trip, or this could mean the person did something to make the guards' trip harder ie by being uncooperative, or could mean s/he deliberately put obstacles in their path). The removal of "also" makes this sentence far less awkward to my ear. "Also" is a word that, 99.9% of the time, can be deleted because it's usually only functioning in a filler capacity.

2. "The best off you have given me so far is..." Is there a typo here? Because as it's written this doesn't make sense to me. Even "The best of you have given me..." doesn't make sense, unless it's an expression I'm unfamiliar with.

Quote Originally Posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
    I can't even find a place in that sentence for the word "you". However, I interpret the original sentence to mean, "You've been giving the guards a hard time while you've been getting here" or "You've been giving the guards a hard time at their own getting here". Which is closer to your intentions? If I know that, I can probably help you with its structure.
    The closest would be 'You've been giving the guards a hard time getting you here' but that's still awkward and messes with the fluidity of the story.

Before addressing punctuation, I need to know what the sentence is intended to mean. "The best off" - what does that phrase mean? Are you sure it shouldn't be "The best of?"
    That should be 'the best offer.'

Okay, so the guards have been trying to bring someone someplace and the person they have in custody has been fighting that? In that case, I really think "You've been giving the guards a hard time getting you here" works. It isn't fluid, but sometimes people do say awkward sentences, and this is dialogue. So the better question to ask yourself is, "Would the character say this?" If the answer is "yes", then I don't see a problem.

"The best offer you have given me so far is..." No commas. They'd only make it awkward.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
    Sum, ergo scribo...

More questions:

Can you not just say, "You've been giving the guards a hard time." If the story talks about them being in transit, you shouldn't need to repeat it.

As for punctuation, use it how the character talks. If your character uses a lot of pauses for emphasis, then by all means throw the commas in there. Punctuation isn't just for clarity. If you read your work out loud, where the punctuation goes should become obvious.

^I agree. If we've seen this character giving the guards problems over the trip, and this is the first conversation after their arrival, saying "I heard you gave the guards a hard time" is sufficient. We know from the context when that occured; adding "bringing you here" is fairly redundant.

Is nail gun one word or two?

I'm under the impression it's one of those terms that can be either one or two words. I once worked for a company that manufactured them, and at the time, even some of our sales literature couldn't decide.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
    Sum, ergo scribo...

I'm under the impression it's one of those terms that can be either one or two words. I once worked for a company that manufactured them, and at the time, even some of our sales literature couldn't decide.
    Yay! It's up to me!

I get to tell a word what to do.

Yay! It's up to me!

I get to tell a word what to do.
    Don't you love it when that happens?

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
    Sum, ergo scribo...

Hauled this over from Fan Fic Pet Peeves...

Quote Originally Posted by Whytewytch View Post
    <snip>
    On the subject of hieroglyphs, anyone have any thoughts on when people use them (or other symbols) in their stories? Either as part of the story so that we see what the characters see or as scene breaks? My personal opinion is moderation and only in the story if it makes sense.
    This I would like to see. Have you guys ever wandered over to how-to-learn-any-language.com
    ? We'd fit in well there. Through them I discovered a Princeton webpage that has a bunch of linguistic challenges and I've completed a few of them. There are a few that don't have answers, so if any of you do the Luvian puzzle I would be very interested in exchanging our answers to see how I did.

Anyway, I would like to see just how you would incorporate them into the story, both code-wise and how you present it and such.

Quote Originally Posted by Whytewytch View Post
    BTW, mathpiglet, have I mentioned how much your siggie's quote makes me giggle?
    Me too!! And I avoid both drinking and deriving.

Whereas I've been known to derive enjoyment from drinking... But calculus and I parted company a long time ago, on the basis of mutual dislike.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
    Sum, ergo scribo...

I can't drive, but I did learn that Heineken + Cherry Coke = not awesome.

Heineken = not awesome anyway, so I can't imagine that adding Cherry Coke would help much.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
    Sum, ergo scribo...