Frontierland (618)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frontierland (618)

SAM AND DEAN RETURN TO THE WILD, WILD WEST — While searching for a way to defeat Eve, Dean stumbles upon Samuel Colt’s (guest star Sam Hennings) journal in the Campbell library. Realizing Samuel might have the answer to their problems, Sam and Dean ask Castiel (Misha Collins) to send them back in time so they can meet the man himself. While Sam is a bit reluctant to time travel, Dean is beside himself with excitement to return to the Wild, Wild West. Guy Bee directed the episode written by Andrew Dabb & Daniel Loflin with story by Andrew Dabb, Daniel Loflin & Jackson Stewart (##617).
    Please use the report feature to request the thread to be opened

Great episode. Loved it.

The humor was fun.

The reveals in this ep with the combination of last week's ep seems to be leading down a very dark path for Cas. In order to fight this war, he seems to be resorting to leeching from peoples' souls in order to have the strength the go up against Raphael. (Or worse killing people for their souls.) His killing that angel to hide this must mean he's desperate. This ep also seems to reveal the answer to the build up of why souls are important.
    IMO always implied.

Comment

I loved it as well.

The opening credits/title card were perfect.

The scenes with them all at Bobby's in the beginning with Dean bringing back the shopping. Hilarious. Dean's face was a picture. I'm loving the return to the boy's friendly banter.
      Dean really looked the part, especially later on with the gunfight. Oh yeah!

Sam looked wonderfully awkward in that rather fine girlie shirt. And even more awkward standing in the 'authenticity' and shaking it off his boot. He looked good on the horse though.

Samuel Colt was awesome, and with Sam all clean shaven and clean clothed, it made Colt seem even more of a crusty old hunter. Great contrast.

“Giant from the future with a magic brick...”

“I'm a posse magnet.” Dean doesn't need to have it on a t-shirt. I'm sure it's on icons and banners already!!

Dean was so excited and then had his bubble burst with the scabby saloon girl, his drink tasting of gasoline and his naff blanket getting insulted! But I think the shoot out with the Phoenix more than made up for it.

“Yippi kay ay mother..........”

Loved the Phoenix and that he wasn't a bad guy but Dean had to gank him anyway.

Nods to Back to the Future.
      “Where you're going they don't take plastic.”
      Clint Eastwood
      The ending with the parcel.

Although how Samuel Colt managed to understand Sam's phone requires a bit of a stretch of the imagination...but....he did build the Devil's Gate and the Colt so maybe not! The man's extremely smart and before his time! I'll let them have that one.

I've no idea who Walker, Texas Ranger is/was. At first I thought he said Walter!! I did look it up but I'm none the wiser.

And Cas...what have you done? A dirty little secret indeed. Things are now starting to fall into place though. I liked seeing one of his lieutenant's even if she didn't last long.

Yep souls do seem to hold the power.

Did anyone else see Sunrise Wyoming at the start and see the clock hit noon and thought ...hello that's not right! Oh yeah it's the place that's called Sunrise.
      Last edited by LizzieAnne; 23 April 2011, 10:46 AM.
      sigpic

Comment

Lizzie, "Walker, Texas Ranger" was a Chuck Norris show (as you found out). Texas Rangers are kinda the state police of Texas. Kinda like FBI meets Old West Marshals, but only within Texas.

LoneStar, I don't think Cas killed Rachel to keep the secret. That looked totally defensive to me. But I do think he's going to have to explain some things before the boys and Bobby find out whatever it is he's doing by other means. Don't think they'd be too happy if that happened.

And I went 'aww' when Cas showed up at Bobby's, saying he needed to go somewhere safe. I like how through their whole lives, the boys never really had a home (unless you're Chuck and you count the Impala), but now, Bobby's house has become home, safe harbor, base of operations, really anything they need. Solidifies that "family is made" thing they have going on.

I loved Dean and Jensen throughout the whole episode. Far too many great moments, expressions, and quotes to count! I just wish that Dean would have been able to meet Samuel Colt (btw, there are way too many Samuels in this show). I can just imagine all the fangirl-ish reactions Oh, and the second blatant reference to "Blazing Saddles" this season!

And dont' even get me started on the cowboy gear. My brain won't be able to function
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by warrior_chic View Post
          LoneStar, I don't think Cas killed Rachel to keep the secret. That looked totally defensive to me. But I do think he's going to have to explain some things before the boys and Bobby find out whatever it is he's doing by other means. Don't think they'd be too happy if that happened.
          To me it seemed like he was lying when he told them what happened...about her supposedly working for Raphael. Cas isn't that great of a liar. Plus she looked sincerely shocked about what Cas was doing when she confronted him.

It was defensive in that he killed her to defend himself, but I also think he did it because she found out what he was doing and knew it was wrong. I think if she hadn't attacked him, he still might have killed her. I know that's terrible to think he'd do that, but I really think he would have in order to protect his secret. Tptb haven't really gotten into what's going on in this battle for Heaven, but apparently some heavy stakes are riding on which ever side wins, and seemingly Cas isn't beyond doing some terrible things in order to win.
          IMO always implied.

Comment

Originally posted by warrior_chic View Post
            Lizzie, "Walker, Texas Ranger" was a Chuck Norris show (as you found out). Texas Rangers are kinda the state police of Texas. Kinda like FBI meets Old West Marshals, but only within Texas.
            Ah okay. I'd never heard of the show until I looked it up....but the Texas Rangers I'd only a very vague idea...didn't know what they were.

Originally posted by LoneStar1836 View Post
            To me it seemed like he was lying when he told them what happened...about her supposedly working for Raphael. Cas isn't that great of a liar. Plus she looked sincerely shocked about what Cas was doing when she confronted him.

It was defensive in that he killed her to defend himself, but I also think he did it because she found out what he was doing and knew it was wrong. I think if she hadn't attacked him, he still might have killed her. I know that's terrible to think he'd do that, but I really think he would have in order to protect his secret. Tptb haven't really gotten into what's going on in this battle for Heaven, but apparently some heavy stakes are riding on which ever side wins, and seemingly Cas isn't beyond doing some terrible things in order to win.
            Yeah..Cas definitely lied to Sam and Dean...again! Whether he'd have killed Rachel if she hadn't tried to kill Cas, don't suppose we'll ever know.

Cas keeps stressing freedom is important so I'm thinking that as Raphael is a traditionlist he's against that..plus he wants the whole Michael /Lucifer match put back on track...bringing on the Apocalypse. Maybe Raph is in league with Eve...the enemy of my enemy is my friend, kind of thing.
            sigpic

Comment

great ep i hope we find out what cas is cooking up it doesn't seem good what ever it is. The nod to back to the future was awesome
              Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together
              sigpic

Comment

Can someone explain to me why touching Bobbys Soul was dangerous to both, but Cas did it already a few times with Sam?
                Last edited by tomstone; 23 April 2011, 05:06 PM.
                Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
                Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald
                There was Fuzzy no more Wuzzy

Comment

Originally posted by tomstone View Post
                  Can someone explain to me why touching Bobbys Soul was dangerous to both, but Cas did it already a few times with Sam?
                  Because this time, he was siphoning some of Bobby's soul. The power of it anyway.
                  sigpic
                  MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                  "...phu...ah..."
                  "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                  Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I thought for sure Dean would bring back "The Colt". Couldn't believe it when he dropped it in a mad dash to get the ashes.

Clever clever episode.

IHS
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by iheartshep View Post
                      I thought for sure Dean would bring back "The Colt". Couldn't believe it when he dropped it in a mad dash to get the ashes.
                      They still have the Colt don't they? That thing is hard to keep track of.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by iheartshep View Post

Clever clever episode.

IHS
                        They couldn't because it would have changed the time line in a big way. It had to be left behind so it could play its part in killing YED, etc.

I can't remember if they still have the Colt or not.
                        IMO always implied.

Comment

*smacks self in head* Of course you're right......didn't even consider changing the time line. Yikes.......

Honestly, I don't know where the devil the Colt is. I thought they had it but lost it again somewhere after Dean tried to off Lucifer with it.

IHS
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                            Because this time, he was siphoning some of Bobby's soul. The power of it anyway.
                            That, and Cas was weakend due to his angel-made injury this time. Could mean, his concentration / caution might slip at a dangerous moment.

Dean´s reaction to the girl was brillant, Sam´s in the background to the whole deal simply a picture-perfect.

I knew the text of the parcel guy before he opened his mouth. "we had a bet..." LOL.

Oh, and Dean, in full cowboy outfit was smokin´

Check out this amazing vid by SGAFan on YouTube Joe IS Rockford!
                            picfic craziness against boredom: Col.Sheppard & the nutty whumpers

Comment

to refer to castiell's own comparison: imagine a nuclear reactor.

walk in there with all your diagnostic equipment, and you're pretty safe - you're just reading things, checking them out, no biggie.

now start siphoning energy out of it, just for kicks. you've probably wasted whatever city you're in, or if you're really lucky just some wide open countryside that needs to be closed off for a few... decades? depends where your reactor is placed of course.

cas has 'read' souls all over the place, checked out if they're damaged, or if they're even around. but his expression implies that actually draining out some power isn't a 'good' thing - it's dark, very dark, since for an angel they're messing with their daddy's other set of kids, and taking away part of what makes a human... well... human.

that said, cas is already up to his neck in dark - chucking the boys through to alternate-earth where supernatural was a tv show - just to slow down raphael's men. while, of course, lying to the boys about the key. never mind that balthasar did the actual legwork - he's working for cas, helping him, and cas made clear that he'd have done it even if balthasar wasn't around to take the fall.
                              unsinking the titanic - to get souls for what, by fate's reaction, seems to be angel-style nukes.
                              killing his lieutenant - who clearly couldn't comprehend how he'd sunk so low as to be doing whatever it is he's doing.

after all that, whats a little soul sucking between friends?
                              Cantina Petition for Perma-sticky (or own subforum)

Comment

Working...
                              X