Reason for Vala's smaller SG 1 patches?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
    Yep. My money is on making the smaller patches to accommodate an actor's request.

Sam wears regulation clothing. pants, tops, boots. I think the only thing non-reg that she wore regularly was that damned tank top in s7 (i see male producers interjecting their 'input' in that wardrobe decision)

while Vala's costumes were -at best - approximate copies of regulation uniforms, usually tailored to fit her close.

Her hop hugger pants, her flare bottomed pants, her tight t-shirt, her close cut jacket (notice that sam's uniform jacket has decidedly larger sleeves...what you get when you're wearing something that's made to either fit males or be unisex in its fit.

Shanks once described Claudia as 'bony' (not one of his finer moments) however it does suggest that she's very skinny, and seems to prefer clothing to accentuate that, so her more closely tailored clothes.

the regulation patch that you see on sam's arm, 3-4 inches i think, literally would not fit on vala's sleeve, not without wrapping around it.
    I've met Claudia and she is very very thin...so I can see tptb designing her wardrobe to be more inline with her physic, including the patches as I think the standard size might be a bit more overpowering from a visual standpoint on her small body frame.
    sigpic

www.facebook.com/pages/DavidNyklFans/402742713123717

Comment

Plus in the mil, female patches to tend to be smaller than male.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
        Yep. My money is on making the smaller patches to accommodate an actor's request.

Sam wears regulation clothing. pants, tops, boots. I think the only thing non-reg that she wore regularly was that damned tank top in s7 (i see male producers interjecting their 'input' in that wardrobe decision)

while Vala's costumes were -at best - approximate copies of regulation uniforms, usually tailored to fit her close.

Her hop hugger pants, her flare bottomed pants, her tight t-shirt, her close cut jacket (notice that sam's uniform jacket has decidedly larger sleeves...what you get when you're wearing something that's made to either fit males or be unisex in its fit.

Shanks once described Claudia as 'bony' (not one of his finer moments) however it does suggest that she's very skinny, and seems to prefer clothing to accentuate that, so her more closely tailored clothes.

the regulation patch that you see on sam's arm, 3-4 inches i think, literally would not fit on vala's sleeve, not without wrapping around it.

Honestly, I'd put the tank on Sci-Fi, not B@B, otherwise it would have happened sooner after Jonathan Glassner left. But, eh, it's all speculation. I do think the slmaller size was because of the tiny, tiny bones under the uniform. Though I like Hedwig's suggestion too.
        sigpic
        Mourning Sanctuary.
        Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
          Ya'll are way over analyzing this. The producers wanted Vala to be this sex symbol. Remember the tight leather from last season? The small patches, tight uniform, small pockets... It was to give Vala this cutesy look. That's all.
          Yes, indeed, it is tight and slim to portray her features, after all what was Vala doing the first time we saw her?

However, I can see some of the motivation coming from not wanting her to look like she is swimming in clothing. But I say its the sex appeal more.
          Save Stargate Resistance and Stargate Worlds, keep a part of the franchise alive! and read our blog

Comment

I can answer this from my own military experience. It's because that's the standard for the women's uniform. If you look closely in the same screencap that's provided in this thread, you'll notice that's Sam's patches are smaller, too. The sleeves on a woman's uniform are made smaller than on the men's, and the full-size patches don't sit right on them (they don't even fit on the sleeve in the smaller sizes!), so they make the patches smaller, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Marsmouse View Post
              I can answer this from my own military experience. It's because that's the standard for the women's uniform. If you look closely in the same screencap that's provided in this thread, you'll notice that's Sam's patches are smaller, too. The sleeves on a woman's uniform are made smaller than on the men's, and the full-size patches don't sit right on them (they don't even fit on the sleeve in the smaller sizes!), so they make the patches smaller, too.
              In my experience what Marsmouse said is one hundred percent correct.

Comment

I find it funny that people focus on Vala's patches while completely glossing over her cutesy jacket. lol

Comment

Hmm... never noticed that before
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Marsmouse View Post
                    Are the patches smaller for Vala than Sam? I seem to remember Amanda mentioning that they were tiny to fit on Claudia's arms.
                    sigpic
                    Mourning Sanctuary.
                    Thanks for the good times!

Comment

I find it funny that people focus on Vala's patches while completely glossing over her cutesy jacket. lol

Comment

I haven't read this whole thread so I don't know if this was brought up but... in the AF, there are different size patches. Men's and women's. The women's patches are smaller in size. A female can either wear the male or female size patch. It's up to them and depends normally on their body size as which to wear.

Comment

Have you not noticed her cutesly little field jacket? I love that everyone's ignoring that and focusing on the patch size. lol

Comment

Have you not noticed her cutesly little field jacket? I love that everyone's ignoring that and focusing on the patch size. lol
                            Well... the thread is about the patches...

Comment

Yes, but the patches are smaller, because the jacket is smaller. This isn't hard to figure out.

Comment

Working...
                              X