Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Reason for Vala's smaller SG 1 patches?

Probie

Default Reason for Vala's smaller SG 1 patches?

hi there!
    just been watching sg1 and notices that Vala's sg1 patches are smaller than everyone elses, does anyone know why please?

sorry if this topic has already been covered, i did a brief search but found nothing.

thanx in advance

Default Re: Reason for Vala's smaller SG 1 patches?

Really? I hadn't noticed that. When they strapped them on her uniform (when Mitchell officially made her a member of SG1), they seemed the same size as everyone elses.

Exploring space and time with the 9th doctor

Yeah, would need a screencap to compare.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v106/manephelien/avatars/deadtribbles.jpg

Because she's the most junior member and needs to earn the "big girl" patches?

Probie

heres a screenshot,

You call that a glowstick?
    (Moderator)

if you notice, claudia's clothes, especially her top and jacket, are tailored to be much more tight fitting than the others, making her sleeves smaller and the regulation size patches were likely too big.

in season 10, they startted to kinda do the same with amanda, but prior to season 7 especially, season 9 also, all them were pretty much regulation air force clothes.

if you look at claudia's pants, she wore flare bottomed hip huggers instead of regulation BDU's

Probie

so the smaller patches are designed to be proportional to the rest of the uniform, thanx for the heads-up, suddenly the world makes sense!

(Moderator)

Just my guess. But it seems to make sense for why they'd abandon or have made new stuff that they already had on hand (I'd imagine that they had the SGC patches made by the dozens)

Probie

Its a shame realy because my wife has bought me an sg1 and earth patche but they are only 2" daimeter and i dont have the heart to tell her that she has got the wrong ones!
    I will have to get some full size ones myself and hope she doesnt notice!
    Wish me luck! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Axl View Post
    In this shot, the patch that is seen on Vala's shirt is on her left side - the opposite of the side the SG1 patches are on Cam's and Sam's shirts (who's patches are on their right arms). So it might not be Vala's SG1 patch; it could be another patch entirely. Wasn't she given two by General Landry?

In fact, on looking through the Gallery at Memento Mori, that could be the SGC patch she's got on her left shoulder, which is the same side that Mitchell has his SGC patch. He wears the SG1 and "bird" patch on his other shoulder.
    Last edited by hedwig; March 26th, 2011 at 03:14 PM.

(Moderator)

one would be the SGC patch, the other the SG1 patch

scroll down, the 2 main ones are shown here

http://www.mcp-concepts.com/works/wo...te-costume.htm

I think these are good examples of the size difference;

Carter's Patches
    Spoiler:

Vala's SG1 Patch
    Spoiler:

Vala's Earth Patch
    Spoiler:

Vala compared to Jackson and Cam
    Spoiler:

I had always thought it was just to make the patches look more natural on Vala' jacket. When she's standing beside the other SG1 members, her patches do look small but they are at least proportional to her, while Carter's in the first picture look huge.

From a production point of view, do a few for Claudia, they make the patch natural on her arm while everyone else uses the originals. Would save on reproducing them in bulk for everyone's clothing (extras, guest stars and main characters) and tailoring the outfits all over to remove the large velcro pad to replace it with a smaller one.

(Moderator)

Yep. My money is on making the smaller patches to accommodate an actor's request.

Sam wears regulation clothing. pants, tops, boots. I think the only thing non-reg that she wore regularly was that damned tank top in s7 (i see male producers interjecting their 'input' in that wardrobe decision)

while Vala's costumes were -at best - approximate copies of regulation uniforms, usually tailored to fit her close.

Her hop hugger pants, her flare bottomed pants, her tight t-shirt, her close cut jacket (notice that sam's uniform jacket has decidedly larger sleeves...what you get when you're wearing something that's made to either fit males or be unisex in its fit.

Shanks once described Claudia as 'bony' (not one of his finer moments) however it does suggest that she's very skinny, and seems to prefer clothing to accentuate that, so her more closely tailored clothes.

the regulation patch that you see on sam's arm, 3-4 inches i think, literally would not fit on vala's sleeve, not without wrapping around it.

Quote Originally Posted by hedwig View Post
    Because she's the most junior member and needs to earn the "big girl" patches?
    <<chokes>>
    Mourning Sanctuary.
    Thanks for the good times!

Lieutenant Colonel

Ya'll are way over analyzing this. The producers wanted Vala to be this sex symbol. Remember the tight leather from last season? The small patches, tight uniform, small pockets... It was to give Vala this cutesy look. That's all.

The Official Toe Wiggler
    (Moderator)

Quote Originally Posted by Skydiver View Post
    Yep. My money is on making the smaller patches to accommodate an actor's request.

Sam wears regulation clothing. pants, tops, boots. I think the only thing non-reg that she wore regularly was that damned tank top in s7 (i see male producers interjecting their 'input' in that wardrobe decision)

while Vala's costumes were -at best - approximate copies of regulation uniforms, usually tailored to fit her close.

Her hop hugger pants, her flare bottomed pants, her tight t-shirt, her close cut jacket (notice that sam's uniform jacket has decidedly larger sleeves...what you get when you're wearing something that's made to either fit males or be unisex in its fit.

Shanks once described Claudia as 'bony' (not one of his finer moments) however it does suggest that she's very skinny, and seems to prefer clothing to accentuate that, so her more closely tailored clothes.

the regulation patch that you see on sam's arm, 3-4 inches i think, literally would not fit on vala's sleeve, not without wrapping around it.
    I've met Claudia and she is very very thin...so I can see tptb designing her wardrobe to be more inline with her physic, including the patches as I think the standard size might be a bit more overpowering from a visual standpoint on her small body frame.

www.facebook.com/pages/DavidNyklFans/402742713123717

Brigadier General

Plus in the mil, female patches to tend to be smaller than male.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydiver View Post

Honestly, I'd put the tank on Sci-Fi, not B@B, otherwise it would have happened sooner after Jonathan Glassner left. But, eh, it's all speculation. I do think the slmaller size was because of the tiny, tiny bones under the uniform. Though I like Hedwig's suggestion too.
    Mourning Sanctuary.
    Thanks for the good times!

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman37 View Post
    Ya'll are way over analyzing this. The producers wanted Vala to be this sex symbol. Remember the tight leather from last season? The small patches, tight uniform, small pockets... It was to give Vala this cutesy look. That's all.
    Yes, indeed, it is tight and slim to portray her features, after all what was Vala doing the first time we saw her?

However, I can see some of the motivation coming from not wanting her to look like she is swimming in clothing. But I say its the sex appeal more.

Probie

I can answer this from my own military experience. It's because that's the standard for the women's uniform. If you look closely in the same screencap that's provided in this thread, you'll notice that's Sam's patches are smaller, too. The sleeves on a woman's uniform are made smaller than on the men's, and the full-size patches don't sit right on them (they don't even fit on the sleeve in the smaller sizes!), so they make the patches smaller, too.