Now I'm really mad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now I'm really mad

I went through all of the stages of grief - including anger - after SGU's cancellation was announced, but after watching this episode... wow.

While the first season (especially the first half) was less-than-amazing, the current (awesome) dynamics on the ship would not have been possible without that build-up.

Young's "including you and me?" line wouldn't have packed nearly as much of a punch if it weren't for the build-up. Nor would Greer immediately volunteering to stay with Rush and Young, Rush telling Chloe everyone on the ship is useful/meant to be there (and Chloe truly becoming useful), or any of the other emotional scenes and moments we've had in Season 2.

Even those who prefer an episodic format can't have much to complain about at this point. Twin Destinies was a classic Stargate episode, one of those instant favorites. Not perfect, but it had comedy throughout, awe (coming up on the broken Destiny = epic), several swooshes (gating inside a star, gating leading to time travel, gating to a copy of your own ship to salvage parts, arms held inside gates while team members sprint towards it to a backdrop of explosions), and still had moments of tension and that darker/more mature "feel" that SGU fans love.

This "something for everyone" format is what we could have enjoyed for another three years if more fans (and executives) had been patient. Season 1 was necessary build-up for the awesomeness that we have now. I know the internet forum tendency is to blame "ADD," but I actually have clinically-diagnosed ADHD and it held my attention just fine. So I don't know what's up with folks being impatient nowadays. All I know is that I'm really mad.

after watching that episode i'm too mad at syfy for cancelling it. that was one of the first episodes that i insteatly loved and hope to be able to rewatch (if its hulu).
    sigpic

Comment

Yeah the high quality of Twin Destiny's and last weeks episode has made me all the more upset at SGU's cancellation.

And yes it was definitely classic Stargate, most of season two is IMO! I'm loving it!

Comment

After seeing the ratings, it's really no surprise that Syfy canned it. What the heck is wrong with Americans that 2 million of them can't watch this fantastic show live? [/rant]

Okay, I'm done. Still loving SGU, and damn sad it's coming to an end so soon.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by k1037 View Post
          Young's "including you and me?" line wouldn't have packed nearly as much of a punch if it weren't for the build-up.
          That, for me, really was an important moment. The look on Rush's face was so . . . it meant something to him, Young saying that. And they really had to go through a lot to get to where they are now.

You are right - last night's episode is really making the cancellation sting. Let's hope they give us 8 more great episodes, and we can really be left miserable!
          sigpic
          Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

*Riots on the street!*

Comment

Originally posted by General Jumper One View Post
              *Riots on the street!*
              *busts a window*

'Cause I'm mad.
              sigpic

Comment

I could go into my usual rant that Syfy had it out for SGU by moving it to a horrible time slot.. but i'm gonna be good. But I agree with EVERYTHING said here. Twin Destinies just goes to show how much POTENTIAL SGU has.. or rather had. And on the subject of "establishment" Even though it wasn't on Sci-Fi/Syfy at the time, didn't it take SG-1 a bit to get going? I really wish that somehow the mistake of cancellation would be rectified and we would be able to see more magnificence that is SGU and Destiny.

Okay... shutting up now..

Comment

I looked at some of the previews and rumours ( yes, I'm one of those people ) and I could just squeel with excitement after every spoiler.

SGU appears to have a paradoxal awesomeness-ratings relation. The more awesome an episode becomes, the lower the ratings go.. First half of season one was something like.. 1.7 average? Then after the mid-season hiatus ( which for me actually did some good for the atmosphere because it seemed like Rush had been left behind ages ago, and I am a sucker for the feeling of scale in terms of time, age, distance etc.. ) the ratings immediately went down a notch, to about 1.4, while it was just getting more exciting ( space battle, gaterace in 'lost', lucian alliance incursion ). Start of season 2: Bam, ratings down to roughky 1.1 We discover the bridge, the mission, aliens, seedship, the whole Simeon thing, space battles, then we start the second half of season 2 with even more space battle goodness and the character development pays off and whadaya know? Ratings down o 1.0- 0.9

I just had to rant.. I feel better now.

Bloody paradoxes..

Comment

I don't really blame SyFy for the end of SGU, as much as I would like too(I sure blame them for SG1's abrupt end though). Really there wasn't enough people watching(live that is). It doesn't help to have people who doomed the show from the start too.

*gets mad*

I don't want SGU to end...
                    Last edited by Replicator Todd; 15 March 2011, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by K1037
                      I went through all of the stages of grief - including anger - after SGU's cancellation was announced, but after watching this episode... wow.
                      Sounds like you need a unicorn bro ...

Comment

Originally posted by Egle01 View Post
                        After seeing the ratings, it's really no surprise that Syfy canned it. What the heck is wrong with Americans that 2 million of them can't watch this fantastic show live? [/rant]

Okay, I'm done. Still loving SGU, and damn sad it's coming to an end so soon.
                        Simple, Syfy failed at marketing it to them.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
                          I don't really blame SyFy for the end of SGU, as much as I would like too(I sure blame them for SG1's abrupt end though).
                          I've been thinking that if it wasn't for SG1's cancellation in the tenth season, perhaps all of this would have never happened like it did. We may have even have had a Atlantis season six, and SGU season three.

Comment

Originally posted by Stargater276 View Post
                            I've been thinking that if it wasn't for SG1's cancellation in the tenth season, perhaps all of this would have never happened like it did. We may have even have had a Atlantis season six, and SGU season three.
                            Perhaps! I will always be sadden by the fact we never got a eleventh and even a twelfth season of SG1. A season 6 and 7 of SGA. A season 3 of SGU. It might be ridiculous but maybe SG1's cancellation has a negative effect of the Stargate franchise on SyFy, dooming SGA and SGU? I dunno, the period between SGA ending and SGU starting may of allowed time for people to forget about Stargate as a whole or something.

Crazy theories I know.

Comment

Well there is still hope, extremely small, remote, and in all probability will never happen hope, but still there is hope. Some other network might pick it up.
                              sigpic
                              Doci of the BAG

Comment

Working...
                              X