This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Artemis-Neith View Post
    Partly, yes. But not completely. He's e.g. not responsible for Telford changing sides, after being brainwhashed, which causes the accident on Icarus he take action on to change everybodies life.

He's also not resposible for Simeon being Simeon. He's responsible that it hit Mandy to die, but if it wouldn't be Mandy it would have been just another person using the stones with Ginn.

I guess he's also not responsible that his wife died beause she got cancer.

Some of the things which happend to him, and people araound him, are on his bill, but some were just bad luck, or bad circumstances.

Rush was never the most evil person in the universe, but like everybody else on Destiny a flawed person, who did mistakes. Therefore he was never responsible for all the bad things which happend to anybody in SGU.
    He's just a man, who had gone trough hell - he lost so many things and became the man he is now. That's maybe the reason why the crew sees him as a heartless man
    sigpic

Comment

The crew needed to hate somebody and Rush was the ideal man for that. I find it ugly and abnormal, poor man, but people in group are not intelligent and it is so easy to indicate a culprit and to hate him in common.

In any case I liked well the episode, the way Rush so easily trapped Eli and Brody. The history with the creature was good to find ^^
      sigpic
      by AresLover452 ^^

Comment

Originally posted by Artemis-Neith View Post
        Partly, yes. But not completely. He's e.g. not responsible for Telford changing sides, after being brainwhashed, which causes the accident on Icarus he take action on to change everybodies life.

He's also not resposible for Simeon being Simeon. He's responsible that it hit Mandy to die, but if it wouldn't be Mandy it would have been just another person using the stones with Ginn.

I guess he's also not responsible that his wife died beause she got cancer.

Some of the things which happend to him, and people araound him, are on his bill, but some were just bad luck, or bad circumstances.

Rush was never the most evil person in the universe, but like everybody else on Destiny a flawed person, who did mistakes. Therefore he was never responsible for all the bad things which happend to anybody in SGU.
        Partialy responsible is still responsible. He does some pretty immoral things in his quest to explore Destiny and so he does bring a lot of these difficulties on himself. The crew wouldn't dislike him so much he hadn't thought of himself when evacuating Icarus
        Originally posted by aretood2
        Jelgate is right

Comment

The crew in their fear and outrage, look to lay their blame as if it would somehow remedy their situation. As Duval said: The crew needed to hate somebody and Rush was the ideal man for that. I find it ugly and abnormal, poor man, but people in group are not intelligent and it is so easy to indicate a culprit and to hate him in common.

As the series evolved, we see the crew of Destiny gradually form a unity, including Rush. Rush grew away from the hardened, tragic man that carelessly lead them to the Destiny. We see him and others grow in their compassion for each other and learn to forgive. Rush began to see clearly and grow out of a pattern of channeling all his thoughts into work, ignoring and repressing the emotions that plagued him for so long. The crew including Colonel Young and Dr. Rush gradually gave up their animosity towards each other, gave up the self righteousness that made them think it was justifiable to sacrifice lives, or pass judgement out of anger. They where moving past the blaming of who caused this mess, and moving towards working to solve the mysteries for the betterment of all. Endless blame and no mercy would doom them all to catastrophe in the end.

Artemin-Neith said: Rush was never the most evil person in the universe, but like everybody else on Destiny a flawed person, who did mistakes. Therefore he was never responsible for all the bad things which happened to anybody in SGU. Yes, an important thing to remember, everyone makes mistakes, and as we all should know, two wrongs never make a right, vengeance and no mercy makes for a heartless sick society. “He who is without sin, cast the first stone.”
          sigpic

Comment

I honestly thought it was the worst episode of season, and that's saying a lot considering how high the bar has been set so far this season.

So most of the Alliance personal seen (and introduced) in this episode were technically redshirts.

I guess this is the episode where they started possibly wrapping the series, with the introduction of the pods.

Tomorrow, the homestretch to the end of this SGRewatch campaign () continues. What happened to those people who ran through the Gate during The Greater Good.
            sigpic

Comment

Hey "The Unsalted Sea Serphant", our episode is better than yours!

How so?

Well we have a informal view about creatures and how we underestimate our perception of them.

We too have a view about creatures but it's much more substantial and fun.

We have a crew that represents the harshness of our nature.

We have Rataxes and his son Victor, plus a subtext about impressing him.

I yell at a guy showing my toughness as a woman.

Well you got us there.

Hey everyone! Remember us?

"This Mortal Coil"? I thought we destroyed you!

Well you thought wrong, and look what we got...

We got ships that will destroy you all!

Oh no!

For so long we have been pushed around, treated as if we were nothing. Now we shall emerge as the dominant episode! Our time has come!

This is bad, both of our episodes are going to get destroyed and we're powerless to stop it. Is there anybody who can help us?!

I think I've got an idea.
              Back from the grave.

Comment

Meanwhile...

*ring*

Give me a second I'm coming!

You've reached supergenius Dr. Rodney McKay, able to solve problems within a single second. How can I help you today?

Dr. McKay, we need your help! "This Mortal Coil" is going to destroy us! We have no idea on how to stop it and we desperately need your near-second help. The balance of continuity lies on the line here!

"This Mortal Coil"? That episode is weak. I'm on my way!

Seconds later...

Have no fear! Dr. Rodney McKay is here.

Dr. McKay, I'm so glad you're here! We're just about on the brink of destruction and...

Stop trying to annoy me, I'm trying to think of something and... Wait, I got it!

Nanoseconds later...

"It's too melodramatic", "Take this and remember me!", "Why didn't you use the right ship", "You're just a setup episode", "Be All My Sins Remember'd rules", "an entire bad episode just for a good ending?"

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

My hero!

Thanks for saving us McKay.

No problem; but I think a lesson has been learned here. Fans consist of the majority of the world, those fans are devoted into our favorite shows and those fans know what's good and what's not. We should take into consideration the majority of the fans opinions because they represent the view of the show, they tell us what episodes are good and what episodes are bad. We shouldn't get angry because someone tells somebody an episode sucks, we should just respect that small minority of opinions and move on. Just look at what happened to "This Mortal Coil".

I hear that!

And they all partied the night away...

I'm sorry this took two posts... This type of concept isn't easy to predict.

Anyways, other notes: I wasn't a big fan of TJ at this point so I found the plot where he was taking command pretty unimpressive. I couldn't detect any confidence or energy, more so a person just saying lines without the bit of infliction; the point in the episode where she screamed at the poor guy to me came off as an attempt to impress the audience by appearing dominating. It's a good statement per say but there isn't anything here that would lend itself well to long-term growth of the character nor does it brighten likeable character aspects. It was justified in that the guy was being awfully weak though.

The subplot with Eli was really out of place, this is a dark character drama which focuses on darker aspects and more human subject matters and yet they managed to include a plot which was basically (things go wrong, Eli freaks out and gets played, Rush manipulates them into learning a lesson.) It's somewhat fun and cute but I don't watch SGU to witness a plot more accustomed to a sitcom than a drama. I was just waiting for the moment where Eli would say "I should of told Rush" and than Rush would say "And you'll come to us if you have a problem in the future.", that didn't happen but everything felt close. Introducing the stasis pods via this brought it down but if you combined this with Atlantis' "Harmony" than you'd have the plot to "To Tell or Not to Tell".

Lastly, the LA really should of been explored here. The leader here was on the spot, willing to show his expertise, willing to show his perception of things but alas, all we got was some newfound edge. Don't get me wrong, it's good character exposition but I was expecting way more. Greer's speech about the darkness was nice but would you really want to watch an episode where nothing really happens just to get to that?
                Back from the grave.

Comment

Somewhere and somehow those posts made sense.
                  The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

"Ah ha! A hunt......I know I saw elephants here amongst the discussion!"

I still think too much time was wasted with wandering around in a forest rather than focusing on the more interesting parts where they were exploring Destiny! Rush getting a chance to 'test' the stasis pod was funny. I guess that's the way Rush likes to have a laugh on occasion!

At least the LA guys got a chance to show they can be useful finally. Crazy how they were killed off suddenly all at once, bar Varro, only because he's a love interest for TJ! Solves the problem of what other use they could be later on I suppose!

Not the best episode of the series, and it was a waste of time given the show was coming up to its end.

Comment

Eventually...another ep of SGU...(can't honestly remember what I was doing in May 2011 that caused me to miss this one first time round!)

1. Interesting that Young felt the need to mentor Greer on this mission.

2. Doubly interesting that it was Varro of all people that got Greer's head sorted out!

3. Rush was still being a bleep here!
                      I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Loved the captioning..

And i felt the "b" plot of the stasis pods was well handled.

Comment

Average ep.

I enjoyed the parts on Destiny the most. Searching the un explored parts of the ship. Something that didn't happen enough on this show and Atlantis.

Ah the stasis pods. They set up what will be one of the most disappointing endings ever. Made for a funny scene in this ep at least.

Varro really shone in this ep.

Poor Volker again. Misses out on the girl. But surely he would have known she was with Greer.
                          Last edited by Lieutenant Sparrow; 03 January 2013, 08:16 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

Ah the stasis pods. They set up what will be one of the most disappointing endings ever. Made for a funny scene in this ep at least.
                            I disagree... The music, acting and how the show panned through the ship in counter balance to how it started were BEAUTIFUL.

Comment

Yeah I agree that its a nice ending in that sense. But I don't like how it leaves things so unfinished. A movie would fix that of course.
                              sigpic

Comment

I liked this one. Nice opening with the stasis pods. Finally some exploration.

I couldn't help thinking it was just a filler episode. But at least it was a good one. With surprises in the end too...

Comment

Working...
                                X