Destiny is better off without a crew...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Destiny is better off without a crew...

The crew is sure messing up the ship real good. That ship was so peaceful and doing a great job on its own for millions of years until all those crazy humans boarded it. This episode goes to show how damaging it has been to take the ship off its predefined path to places it doesn't belong.

Originally posted by erotavlas View Post
    The crew is sure messing up the ship real good. That ship was so peaceful and doing a great job on its own for millions of years until all those crazy humans boarded it. This episode goes to show how damaging it has been to take the ship off its predefined path to places it doesn't belong.
    You're kidding me right? Destiny NEEDS a crew. Granted, it needs a better crew, but still, it needs a crew nonetheless. I can tell you why in three words or one SG-1 episode: Torment of Tantalus. What good is having something great if you cant use it or share it? Destiny flying around taking readings and doing its thing by itself without us, while great, is absolutely useless. That ship was sent out there for a reason, to figure out the meaning of existence and give US the answer. Sure, Destiny can fly around for millions more years and probably succeed in gathering all the data it needs but what good is it if that data never gets to us? In the words of Daniel Jackson, "this is meaning of life stuff!"

Now go on, pop in your SG-1 dvd and rewatch Torment of Tantalus with Destiny and its mission in mind THEN come back and tell me we shouldn't be there.

Comment

PS: those repair drones are going to be REALLY busy

Comment

Well, I suppose it's one of those "If Helen Keller fell in the forest, would she make a sound?" type of questions.

If the humans had never reached Destiny would it have been able to last against the constant attacks of the blue aliens? Given their ability to follow Destiny across several galaxies, and considering Destiny's state of repair upon the arrival of the refugees from Icarus, I would think Destiny's days were already numbered.

regards,
        G.
        Go for Marty...

Comment

Something I've always wondered about.. exactly how much storage space do you suppose is in Destiny's computers? Seems to me that it would have run out after so many years. *shrugs*

Comment

Hmmm, I don't know, Destiny was falling apart already, it's old, the ship could only go so far without some sort of maintenance. Even if Destiny has a good number of those maintenance robots, it looked like they were inert as they found one in that storage room.

The weapons systems were repaired by the humans so that must help Destiny, which was, until their arrival relying on shields, a failing weapons system and jumping into FTL to defend itself. It was remarked that the ship showed signs of battle damage.

The ship was always meant to have a crew and I think the humans are doing a reasonable job considering. As for taking the ship off course, they are human, "we are a curious race" as Jack O'Neill remarked to the Asgard in 'The Fifth Race'. Destiny, for all that it has an AI of sorts, it probably couldn't make that decision to check out the energy signature in the hope that there could be technology to salvage and help aid repairs to Destiny.

Destiny was sent out there to explore the universe, a ship on its own wouldn't appreciate that, you need that crew!

Comment

Originally posted by themeatcleaver View Post
              You're kidding me right? Destiny NEEDS a crew. Granted, it needs a better crew, but still, it needs a crew nonetheless. I can tell you why in three words or one SG-1 episode: Torment of Tantalus. What good is having something great if you cant use it or share it? Destiny flying around taking readings and doing its thing by itself without us, while great, is absolutely useless. That ship was sent out there for a reason, to figure out the meaning of existence and give US the answer. Sure, Destiny can fly around for millions more years and probably succeed in gathering all the data it needs but what good is it if that data never gets to us? In the words of Daniel Jackson, "this is meaning of life stuff!"

Now go on, pop in your SG-1 dvd and rewatch Torment of Tantalus with Destiny and its mission in mind THEN come back and tell me we shouldn't be there.
              Yes maybe the destiny does need a crew, but as we were reminded constantly in season 1. The folks from Icarus base were the wrong people in the wrong place. Maybe you could even argue that having humans messing around with the destiny's systems might jeopordise it's misssion.

Comment

Originally posted by themeatcleaver View Post

It was an ancient ship so therefore it's intention was to give them the answer to the "meaning of life stuff" not us.

Comment

Then there's the whole destiny thing. If the crew is destined to be there, then they belong there I suppose.
                  sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

And it'd be a reeeeeeeally boring show without the crew.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lahela View Post
                      And it'd be a reeeeeeeally boring show without the crew.
                      Not it we do a Stargate: Cast Away. Destiny can be Chuck with a simulated Wilsion
                      Originally posted by aretood2
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                        Not it we do a Stargate: Cast Away. Destiny can be Chuck with a simulated Wilsion
                        LMAO! With a kino as Wilson? That's just scary!!!
                        sigpic

Comment

LMAO! With a kino as Wilson? That's just scary!!!
                          I didn't even think of using the KINO when it was right in front of me. Thats just pathetic of me
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                            I didn't even think of using the KINO when it was right in front of me. Thats just pathetic of me
                            You need to spend more time watching TV, Jel. That's the only solution.
                            sigpic

Comment

You need to spend more time watching TV, Jel. That's the only solution.
                              Its a deal provided you do my work for me.
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                              X