Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Petra View Post
    I totally agree.

Oh, and I'm so glad to see someone other than Ash and me posting here!
    Hey, I'd join in a SPN rewatch if you want more bods, I've just been enjoying hearing your reactions to the series to be honest Petra . I'm always checking this thread to see what you think of what you watch
    sigpic
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

^^^Good to know someone does.

Keeping that in mind I just wanted to let you know that while we fell a little behind we have every intention of continuing the rewatch. I'll try to catch up this/next week, Ash will probably need more time as RL is crazy atm (plus I've got issues with Internet access. Charms of moving, I guess), but we will prevail!
      There's a good chance this opinion is shared by Ashizuri
      sigpic
      awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

I'm in the middle of a re-watch - I'm in the end of S2 and pretty slow :-)
        The cake is a lie!

Comment

Originally posted by Petra View Post
          ^^^Good to know someone does.

Keeping that in mind I just wanted to let you know that while we fell a little behind we have every intention of continuing the rewatch. I'll try to catch up this/next week, Ash will probably need more time as RL is crazy atm (plus I've got issues with Internet access. Charms of moving, I guess), but we will prevail!
          Hey, just PM me or put what eps you are planning to watch in a few days in advance. I'm pretty used to doing rewatches these days either multicountry "live" or whatever. Organizing it a few days in advance should be easy
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
            Hey, just PM me or put what eps you are planning to watch in a few days in advance.
            It's pretty easy. We are sticking with 5 eps per week; according to our original schedule yesterday we should have started season 3 and this week we should be watching "The kids are alright" and the next 4 episodes, up to and including "Red Sky at Morning". I'm actually on time with watching, I just didn't have the time/means to write down and post the reviews. As I said, I'll try to fix it this week and post all 15. Some of them were written immediately after watching the episodes, some however still need to be written. We'll see how it goes, in the meantime here's the first batch:

Born under a bad sign

I’ve come to the conclusion that I like mythology/main arch episodes more than stand-alones (this coming from someone who hated mythology eps on The X-Files), and this is the episode that finally convinced me. It’s really good, although it loses its punch on the re-watch, when you know it’s not really Sam. The first time I watched it though I totally bought that it was Sammy doing all these things and I kept trying to come up with some explanation.

Dean refusing to kill Sam despite his earlier promise was heartbreaking. I feel like giving him a hug. Again.

Next, Jo shows up again. Tbh, I like her more here than I did in No Exit. For one, she acts more mature. Having said that, I’m disappointed she didn’t figure out that Sam was possessed on her own, as soon as he started talking about her dad. I mean, c'mone! Also, I think now that my problem is definitely with the actress, less so with the character. I just don’t like how she plays Jo. Don’t kill me please. And damn, Sam was pretty scary! For a moment I was wondering if he was going to kill or rape her, so him knocking her out came as a welcome relief.

Neat trick with the holy water in the beer.

Tall Tales

Col Pendergast!

Apart from that, what a great episode! I was laughing out loud a lot. Oh man, there’s so much to love (and laugh at): brothers’ account of meeting Starlet (?) at the bar (JP was a bit OTT in Dean’s story, but I guess it was intended and worked brilliantly), which was the first time when I couldn’t help but laughing; slow dancing with an Asgard !!!; the stuff with Sam’s computer and Dean’s car; Bobby; Trickster’s “peace offering”; the final fight and so much more..

It was hilarious. I loved it.

Roadkill

I guess I don’t have much to say about this episode. It was enjoyable, it added a lot to the show’s mythology and it was fun to watch, but it wasn’t particularly memorable.

I’m not as crazy about Tricia Helfer as some folks, but I do like her and I liked her here. I didn’t see the twist with her being a ghost coming; well done! Although the very end, all that talking about her need to let go, dragged a bit.

Heart

This is the saddest episode to date. I admit I was crying like a baby at the end.

If SPN did vampires, it was obvious that werewolves also needed to be done. And as usual, I liked the show’s approach. Man, it truly was tragic that the affected humans weren’t aware of their state. I couldn’t help but compare the situation of Maddie (the actress also played one of my fave characters on CSI:NY, back when I was still watching that show) to Oz from Buffy, and as much as I love Oz, I preferred SPN’s realism.

Poor Sam. Every time he gets the girl either she dies or he needs to leave her behind. I really feel for the guy.

The story itself was pretty standard and fairly easy to predict, so it’s the ending that made the episode so powerful. It was pretty gutsy. Kudos to the director: ending it with both brothers in tears and a single shot ringing when final credits appear was perfect. I also liked that the morality of the situation was touched upon, because this is what stays later with the viewer (well, at least this viewer).

All in all, a very sad, poignant episode, but also one of my favourites.

Hollywood Babylon

Ok, so after tears due to “Heart” now TPTB want me to laugh? Okaaay..

Nice continuity with Dean insisting on the trip to help Sam get over what happened with Madison.

This is a pretty funny episode, although IMO it’s the weakest attempt at the humour episode so far. My other problem is, it reminds me too much of SG-1’s ”Wormhole X-treme”, which I find both funnier and, well, better than SPN’s offering. Heck, even Walter resembles Marty a little.

I know that due to not being a horror fan I missed out on a lot of jokes here, but I must say I found a lot of the scenes /humour very stale and unoriginal, and some characters – most notably the producer – were so clichéd it was groan-worthy. At the very least.

Dean and his love for food and geekiness on the set were probably the best things about the episode. And the last scene with the brothers walking off towards the sunset.
            sigpic
            awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

I'll find a way to sneak 5 eps of SPN into my schedule, but really, what a drag............
              sigpic

Comment

^^^

Folsom Prison Blues

Well, given how much I enjoy prison movies, I was bound to like this one, no matter the plot.

The guard who dies at the beginning is played by the same guy who played the stupid!guard in SG-1’s “Bad guys”. For that petty reason I couldn’t muster up any sympathy for him. If someone (the guard) is so stupid or someone (the actor) plays so bad, they deserved to be killed off.

The plan to get into prison was fun, but you knew something was up the moment they tripped that motion detector. I mean c’mone, boys don’t make mistakes like that.

Never was Dean more right when he told Henriksen that he was adorable. His one liners kept me smiling all the time. And I stand by my original impression, I like Henriksen as an adversary. He’s intelligent and focused and mean and totally worthy to be the brothers' foe.

I had a bit of a problem to buy timid Narim as a prison guard, but ultimately he wasn’t that bad.

Tiny’s admission of his low-esteem admission was a nice surprise, as was Deacon’s identity. I also liked the lawyer; she was a smart lady, and her misleading Henriksen made for cool, full of tension ending.

Great episode.

What is and what should never be

I feel like I should really dig this episode. For one, I love AU stories. Then there are jinns – something right up my alley (although I don’t think that SPN TPTB are that familiar with islam and islamic mythology Otoh, the tattoos were a nice touch). But something’s missing here and I just can’t warm up, for the lack of a better word, to this episode.

It’s all so predictable. Dean’s offered a (fake) chance at new life, a life without hunting. So he gets to spend some time with his mom, observe Sam being happy with Jess , gets a cool, understanding girlfriend, realizes that if it wasn’t for hunting he and Sam would be worlds apart, and finally decides that he prefers reality with his brother, no matter how grim, to this perfect make-believe world. No twist, nothing innovative here.

The one thing I found interesting, was that even in this seemingly perfect world, Dean still wasn’t respected. Boy, this guy has some serious low-esteem issues.

It’s a shame that Papa Winchester didn’t make an appearance. The most touching scene for me was the one when Dean visited John’s grave and raged at the injustice of having to sacrifice his personal happiness to save other people’s lives. I’d love to see both of them having an honest talk some day.

All Hell Breaks Loose part 1

Oh man, what an ending! This is just a very quick note, as I can’t wait to see the next episode. I can just imagine what happened when this ep aired originally, LOL.

So, great episode. I liked how Sam’s disappearance was handled; the moment the car stopped I knew something would happen, but I was still surprised at how swift and quiet Sam’s kidnapping was.

It was great to see Andy again (*sob*). Nice twist with Ava at the end, I didn’t see it coming. I wonder if she guessed what happened to her fiancé or was her reaction to at least this piece of news honest.

Shame Jake didn’t trust Sam at the end. I liked him and would like to see more of him, but I have a feeling that Bobby won’t let him get away (btw, I SO understand Ash's love and protectiveness of Bobby. He grows on me incredibly fast.)

What happened to Ellen and Ash? I refuse to believe they died.

Umm, that’s all I’ve got right now. I need to know what happens next. I suspect Dean will follow in his father’s footsteps and make some deal with one of the demons. I vaguely remember reading something about that years ago, when I had no idea what SPN actually was. We’ll see.

All Hell Breaks Loose part 2

So Ash is really gone?

Yay for Ellen being alive and in the mood for some demon ass kicking .

Also, Bobby, I like you but I’m so disappointed you let Jake get away. As to Jake: good riddance.

Great to see Papa Winchester again, I only wish it was for longer.

I think I liked the first half of the episode better than the latter. The stuff with Dean’s grief, the deal and subsequently Bobby and Dean’s “talk” was some of the show’s most intense, I think.

The death of the yellow-eyed demon was somewhat anti-climactic. I kept expecting another twist that never came.

I loved the idea of the huge devil’s trap, but I am a bit confused how it was destroyed. I thought that once something was trapped inside, it couldn’t leave no matter what? So how were the demons able to break through the tracks from the inside? Shouldn’t they be trapped as well?

I know that “the war is coming/starting”, but honestly, the ending didn’t leave me with a sense of urgency or dread or “OMG what happens now” feeling. It felt pretty tied up, as if TPTB weren’t sure whether there would be season 3 or not so they decided to end in a way that would also serve as a series finale, just in case. Kinda like SGU, come to think of it.

The Magnificent Seven

7 Deadly Sins, huh? Quite ingenious.

I liked the hunter couple, but I had to close my eyes when the guy was forced to drink that drain liquid. Man, I can’t watch scenes like that, my knees get weak from imagining how it must feel like. Brrr.. That Tamara girl was very pretty though.

I couldn’t help but think that the guy who was possessed by Greed (or was it Envy?) got what he deserved. I mean, trash bins start to rattle, lights start to flicker, you see such unnatural “storm cloud” and you don’t turn around and run like hell?! What’s the matter with him?

I loved the little humorous touches with Dean’s hedonism. That’s so in character for him, LOL.

Bobby in a suit. I’m speechless. Better yet, angry!Bobby. Wow. And “Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son”. LOL. So much win here.

Greed’s monologue was quite interesting, and I just loved Dean’s unashamed admittance to being “a walking poster of gluttony and lust”.

Also, the conversation between the brothers at the end was one of my favourites in the show.

And I'm back on track with the (re)watch!
                sigpic
                awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

Working...
                X