Observation about Voyager, Endgame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Observation about Voyager, Endgame

I was reading the Chakotay article on memory alpha, in the alternate timelines and realities section it states He himself died in 2394, the same year as Voyager's return. That doesn't make any sense Harry Kim said in that episode that he was sorry he missed the funeral if Harry had been on Voyager when it returned from the delta quadrant then he would have been there for Chakotay's funeral, unless of course they were talking about someone else, since we see Janeway crouching over Chakotay's grave it seems we are being led to believe that Chakotay has recently died even though it shows 2394 as his year of death on the headstone, it was probably a nobody from the lower decks who died.
    http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Chakota..._and_timelines

I believe Janeway once said when it comes to understanding temporal paradoxes don't even try, or she might have said time travel (whichever one it was) I didn't think too much about it when endgame was on but looking back it's makes sense that it wasn't chakotay who had just died even though we are led to believe he had just died given the year in the alternate timeline being 2404.

Besides it was never stated on-screen that 2394 was the year that Voyager returned from the delta quadrant.
    Last edited by generaloneill; 22 January 2011, 08:47 AM.

A year is a long amount of time. Their is no quanitive indication to how long Chakotay died after Voyager returned to Earth just that it was a year. Harry among others were probably reassigned to different ships shortly after Voyager returned
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
      A year is a long amount of time. Their is no quanitive indication to how long Chakotay died after Voyager returned to Earth just that it was a year. Harry among others were probably reassigned to different ships shortly after Voyager returned
      After seven years on Voyager I'd hope that Starfleet would give the crew at least six months off. I wouldn't want to be reassigned shortly after Voyager got back. Give me some leave!
      "Goodbye Eli Wallace, you're a good man."
      - imlad, from http://www.readandfindout.com/

Comment

Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered View Post
        After seven years on Voyager I'd hope that Starfleet would give the crew at least six months off. I wouldn't want to be reassigned shortly after Voyager got back. Give me some leave!
        I understand of giving Voyager some R&R after seven years in the Delta Quadrant but 6 months is too long.
        Jelgate is right

Comment

Screw the R+R if I were Harry I'd want a promotion from Ensign.

Comment

I'm guessing he got it, along with his new posting. He certainly had enough experience.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by maneth View Post
              I'm guessing he got it, along with his new posting. He certainly had enough experience.
              Yes...and I'm sure Janeway could've given him a field promotion...
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                I understand of giving Voyager some R&R after seven years in the Delta Quadrant but 6 months is too long.
                Real life military gets about a month of leave a year. 60 days is the limit of what you can keep though. I'd be taking most of mine immediately. Risa would be a great place to go with that much time.
                "Goodbye Eli Wallace, you're a good man."
                - imlad, from http://www.readandfindout.com/

Comment

Real life military gets about a month of leave a year. 60 days is the limit of what you can keep though. I'd be taking most of mine immediately. Risa would be a great place to go with that much time.
                  A month is understandable after what they have been through. I'd go Casperia Prime
                  Jelgate is right

Comment

It wasn't 7 years, but 23 years as the ship got back/Chakotay died in 2394. Leave wouldn't be an issue, as most of them would have been pushing 50, 60 years of age when the ship returned. I wouldn't be surprised if they were offered promotions and the chance at retirement. I couldn't see the Maquis or even Paris wanting to continue in Starfleet (expecially as Chakotay lost Seven, Paris and Torres had Miral) and there is no telling how many on board started their own families.

--

As for the funeral, I think they got the date wrong on the grave. Why would Kim really apologise for missing a funeral 10 years ago? Plenty of time in between to do that, as I couldn't see them all getting together for the first time 10 years after they made it home.

sigpic

Comment

Star Trek has shown a number of alternate realities over the years, why should we assume that the futures seen in those two episodes were the same?
                      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                        Star Trek has shown a number of alternate realities over the years, why should we assume that the futures seen in those two episodes were the same?
                        Good point my friend...
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by generaloneill View Post
                          I was reading the Chakotay article on memory alpha, in the alternate timelines and realities section it states He himself died in 2394, the same year as Voyager's return. That doesn't make any sense Harry Kim said in that episode that he was sorry he missed the funeral if Harry had been on Voyager when it returned from the delta quadrant then he would have been there for Chakotay's funeral, unless of course they were talking about someone else, since we see Janeway crouching over Chakotay's grave it seems we are being led to believe that Chakotay has recently died even though it shows 2394 as his year of death on the headstone, it was probably a nobody from the lower decks who died.
                          http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Chakota..._and_timelines

I believe Janeway once said when it comes to understanding temporal paradoxes don't even try, or she might have said time travel (whichever one it was) I didn't think too much about it when endgame was on but looking back it's makes sense that it wasn't chakotay who had just died even though we are led to believe he had just died given the year in the alternate timeline being 2404.

Besides it was never stated on-screen that 2394 was the year that Voyager returned from the delta quadrant.
                          Chakotay died just after Voyager returned to Earth. The future events took place ten years later. When Harry apologizes for missing the funeral, he's obviously referring to a recent death.

Comment

Its been a while since I've seen the episode. So, maybe it was just presented strangely in the episode?
                            sigpic

Comment

There was nothing strange about it. Voyager's been home for ten years, Harry refers to missing a funeral, Janeway visits Chakotay's grave which indicates he's been dead for ten years, and people just assume that was who Harry was talking about without factoring in that Chakotay had been dead for ten years.

Comment

Working...
                              X