Stargate SG-1 Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate SG-1 Questions

First of all, let me say that I'm a big fan of Stargate SG-1 (Season 1-8) My favourite character is Jack O'Neill and favourite pairing is Jack & Sam.

Now, while watching the show repeatedly, many questions comes to my mind. So I decided to compile all my questions in one post so that it will be easier. Here are the questions.

1) How did the Enkarans survive from radiation? According to the explanation in the episode "Scorched Earth", they cannot live in Earth or any other planet for more than a few days without suffering blindness etc. But they were taken by the Goa'uld as slaves to another planet. They managed to survive without any effect. Only the old lady seemed to be blind. The rest are ok. How did they survive there? If there are planets like that in which they can survive, then why was it highlighted that this was their only planet?

2) How did Asguard survive for years when they couldn't fight back with the Replicators? Their weapons are useless and their shields can be penetrated too. The replicators have been battling the Asguard for many years (since Thor said that's why Goa'uld managed to become dominent in this galaxy). How did Asguard battle them out?

3) Why didn't Anubis get Ancient knowledge and use it before? My understanding of this is that Anubis cannot use any knowledge he obtained as an ancient that he would be able to obtain otherwise. So he could have found one of the repositories and got the knowledge instead of waiting till "Lost City" episode in Season 7 finale. And he could have obtained the "Eye of Ra" long before Daniel ascended. Doesn't make sense to me why he would wait.

Furthermore, if Anubis ascended and descended, are we supposed to take it that he only recently descend? If not, why didn't he start taking power before?

5) Why would they take Daniel into military missions? He may have some field knowledge but during rescue missions or covert missions, wouldn't it make sense to take military personnel instead of an archaeologist? It is understandable if he goes for an exploration mission which turns into a battle zone. But going on a mission specific for sabotage or rescue wouldn't make sense to me when they have so many other soldiers who are more capable.

6) What is the difference between Kanen and Jolinar? I understand Jolinar went into Sam because her host were dying and then sacrificed herself. But basically Jolinar took over Sam without her permission for the specific purpose of survival. Like what Jake says in the episode "Allegiance" after Kanen incident, "Kanan did something terribly wrong while trying to do the right thing." That can be said about Jolinar too. Jake said that Selmak was sickened by that action. But they never indicated any such thing for Jolinar. I don't understand why.

7) How did Carter transmit GDO to Earth in the episode "2001"? She didn't know where the gate was dialled. She was hanging by the rope. Then she just jumped. She didn't transmit her code to open the iris. But somehow it was open when she dropped in.

8) How do they make Trutonin? I asked this before but that thread is missing. Main ingredient of making Trutonin was symbiotes. As far as we know, there were no mention of a captured queen used for breeding or any alternative way. How can they make Trutonin for all the free Jaffa when they don't have the main ingredient?

9) How is it right for SGC to take and use Naquadria? Basically they stole it which they said they don't do and objected to NID's operation. But they stole not once but twice from Kelowna without the permission of the government. First was when Jonas brought it with him and then when they went for peace talks. I can understand the first time although it was the scientists who blamed Daniel and not the government. But the second time was when they went to negotiate. So that was stealing.

10) How was SG-1's actions in Memento right? They took out the Stargate and left the planet open to invasion. The planet was safe and unknown to anyone since the stargate was buried. But now that SG-1 unburied the gate, they left the planet open for invasion from others. It's not like SGC is going to protect them from invasion. I wonder if Earth would be so open if an alien race dumps a part of their ship which blows up and creates a lot of damage in the countries below and wants to unbury the stargate for their own use.

One of the things I noticed in Stargate is the arrogance portrayed by the characters. I mean SGC and the US government were travelling to other planets and making alliances and enemies who will not only attack USA but everyone in the planet without the knowledge of others. Until season 6, none of the other countries knew about this. And USA had the advantage on all the technology procured through Stargate. Yet when they travel to other planets, they demand that all the powers of the planet should be aware of any assistance. And they expect those advanced than them to share their knowledge. A bit too arragont and hypocritical in my eyes.

i'll answer what i can.

1) hey i was just watching this episode too . i think that the gou'ald purposely picked one of a few planets that fit what they needed. there are only a few of these planets.

2) the asgard were able to defend themselves, it was just that the repiclicators were learning how to adapt.

3) maybe he didn't know where it was to then, being ascended doesn't make you all knowing. he never was completely ascended he was stuck in between.

5) daniel is part of sg-1! which means if they were assigned for a rescue that is where he would go.

6) jornar was hiding from that guy, and she had no choice but to hide in sam. she did blend with sam. though i am confused as to why she didn't let sam know who she was and let her do that talking to the sgc personal. they wouldn't have thought anything of it. kane the tok'ra that was in o'neill for some reason didn't want him in on rescuing that girl.

7) the stargate was already active and she knew the plan.

8) How do they make Trutonin? I asked this before but that thread is missing. Main ingredient of making Trutonin was symbiotes. As far as we know, there were no mention of a captured queen used for breeding or any alternative way. How can they make Trutonin for all the free Jaffa when they don't have the main ingredient?

good question, so i'll leave it.

9) i thought they only took it once...

10) they were just looking for a way to leave, and if they people want too they can rebury their gate.

One of the things I noticed in Stargate is the arrogance portrayed by the characters. I mean SGC and the US government were travelling to other planets and making alliances and enemies who will not only attack USA but everyone in the planet without the knowledge of others. Until season 6, none of the other countries knew about this. And USA had the advantage on all the technology procured through Stargate. Yet when they travel to other planets, they demand that all the powers of the planet should be aware of any assistance. And they expect those advanced than them to share their knowledge. A bit too arragont and hypocritical in my eyes.

hypocritcally maybe but they don't demand anything unless its nessary. like in jonas's planet its not so much about the stargate its about a struggle for power between the countries. and earth sees why they don't tell the public about the gate until it is necessary since they are being attacked by anubis. also at some point jonas mentions about the sgc not telling about the stargate, not sure what episode.

i hope that helps.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MJDUBOIS View Post
      Spoiler:

First of all, let me say that I'm a big fan of Stargate SG-1 (Season 1-8) My favourite character is Jack O'Neill and favourite pairing is Jack & Sam.

Now, while watching the show repeatedly, many questions comes to my mind. So I decided to compile all my questions in one post so that it will be easier. Here are the questions.

1) How did the Enkarans survive from radiation? According to the explanation in the episode "Scorched Earth", they cannot live in Earth or any other planet for more than a few days without suffering blindness etc. But they were taken by the Goa'uld as slaves to another planet. They managed to survive without any effect. Only the old lady seemed to be blind. The rest are ok. How did they survive there? If there are planets like that in which they can survive, then why was it highlighted that this was their only planet?

2) How did Asguard survive for years when they couldn't fight back with the Replicators? Their weapons are useless and their shields can be penetrated too. The replicators have been battling the Asguard for many years (since Thor said that's why Goa'uld managed to become dominent in this galaxy). How did Asguard battle them out?

3) Why didn't Anubis get Ancient knowledge and use it before? My understanding of this is that Anubis cannot use any knowledge he obtained as an ancient that he would be able to obtain otherwise. So he could have found one of the repositories and got the knowledge instead of waiting till "Lost City" episode in Season 7 finale. And he could have obtained the "Eye of Ra" long before Daniel ascended. Doesn't make sense to me why he would wait.

Furthermore, if Anubis ascended and descended, are we supposed to take it that he only recently descend? If not, why didn't he start taking power before?

5) Why would they take Daniel into military missions? He may have some field knowledge but during rescue missions or covert missions, wouldn't it make sense to take military personnel instead of an archaeologist? It is understandable if he goes for an exploration mission which turns into a battle zone. But going on a mission specific for sabotage or rescue wouldn't make sense to me when they have so many other soldiers who are more capable.

6) What is the difference between Kanen and Jolinar? I understand Jolinar went into Sam because her host were dying and then sacrificed herself. But basically Jolinar took over Sam without her permission for the specific purpose of survival. Like what Jake says in the episode "Allegiance" after Kanen incident, "Kanan did something terribly wrong while trying to do the right thing." That can be said about Jolinar too. Jake said that Selmak was sickened by that action. But they never indicated any such thing for Jolinar. I don't understand why.

7) How did Carter transmit GDO to Earth in the episode "2001"? She didn't know where the gate was dialled. She was hanging by the rope. Then she just jumped. She didn't transmit her code to open the iris. But somehow it was open when she dropped in.

9) How is it right for SGC to take and use Naquadria? Basically they stole it which they said they don't do and objected to NID's operation. But they stole not once but twice from Kelowna without the permission of the government. First was when Jonas brought it with him and then when they went for peace talks. I can understand the first time although it was the scientists who blamed Daniel and not the government. But the second time was when they went to negotiate. So that was stealing.

10) How was SG-1's actions in Memento right? They took out the Stargate and left the planet open to invasion. The planet was safe and unknown to anyone since the stargate was buried. But now that SG-1 unburied the gate, they left the planet open for invasion from others. It's not like SGC is going to protect them from invasion. I wonder if Earth would be so open if an alien race dumps a part of their ship which blows up and creates a lot of damage in the countries below and wants to unbury the stargate for their own use.

It's a TV show.

Comment

In reply to Question 7, I thought Sam had the GDO on her wrist and she transmitted the code and then cut the rope she was suspended by.

This is from the episode description on GW's home page:

The gate is activated and Carter transmits her iris code -- just before she sees a massive bio weapon emerge from the Aschen harvester. She yells up to Joe, telling him to follow her -- but he is struggling with Borren, and tells her to go without him.

Reluctantly, Sam cuts the rope and falls into the Stargate, flying out the other end and ordering the iris closed. The Aschen attack is averted, though Ambassador Faxon is lost.
        Question 8 - How do they make tretonin? Did you watch the episode "Cure" in Season 6? It explains the whole thing. The Pangarans discovered a goa'uld queen (more about who she really was is explained in the episode) in suspension in some ruins found on their planet and used her "children" to make the tretonin.

Not sure if it was further explained, but the Tok'ra took the serum back to the Tok'ra homeworld and eventually perfected it so that the free Jaffa could use it in place of their symbiotes.

Question 10 - Right or wrong, it was the decision of the government in "Memento" to locate and dig up the gate and then let SG1 gate back to earth to get stuff to repair the Prometheus. They didn't force the people there to keep the gate unburied. After they left for good and the Prometheus was repaired, the government could have reburied the gate, but they chose not to. So SG1 didn't force anybody to do anything.
        Last edited by hedwig; 19 January 2011, 05:26 PM.

Comment

Further to question 1; IIRC the Enkaran planet had a particularly thick ozone layer that protected the population from solar radiation. The Goa'uld wouldn't pick a planet at random most of the time, they had no use for crippled slaves after all.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MJDUBOIS View Post

Presumably they were on planets that were near ideal for them so they didnt go blind, or maybe the Goa'uld had a shield like in "The First Commandment"

Replicators don't go on the same time as us, they don't care about speed, only replicating, if the Asgard simply withdrew then the war would be drawn out.

It was anything he couldn't have learned or created from when he was a normal Goa'uld, if he had found a repository he could have used it to make the technology he had. Ascension does not make you all knowing or all powerful, so he wouldnt magically know where the repositories or the eye of ra was. I would imagine that he had to first find a way to contain himself (his shield) and then build a followers to he had the resources to build the technology

In case there was Goa'uld writing to be translated so they could access the pyramid to blow it up. etc.

Jolinar did it to survive and escape, Kanan did it to essentially get revenge on Baal and take his lo'taur.

She transmitted before.

They can synthesize a heap of things today so Tretonin would be no more difficult, that or the Tok'ra make it for us.

Sort of a grey area here. Technically whatshisface stole it and they recovered it.

How else could they get home? The Stargate may offer dangers but also offers wealth and technology.

I imagine it was sort of like "We are in too deep to suddenly announce it now" Other planets might not have this problem as they may see a ship or a museum piece suddenly come to life and there would be no way of containing it. Earth is the most densly populated planet in at least 4 galaxies.

Comment

Working...
            X