Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stargate Universe - Visual Effects Society: 9th Annual VES Awards Nominees Announced

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate Universe - Visual Effects Society: 9th Annual VES Awards Nominees Announced

Source: Visual Effects Society [follow link for complete press release]

9th Annual VES Awards Nominees Announced

Los Angeles, January 10, 2011 - The Visual Effects Society (VES) today announced the nominees for the 9th Annual VES Awards ceremony recognizing outstanding visual effects artistry in 24 categories of film, animation, television, commercials and video games. Nominees were chosen Saturday, January 8 by numerous blue ribbon panels of VES members who viewed submissions at the FotoKem screening facilities in Burbank and San Francisco as well as at other facilities in London, Sydney and Vancouver.

The 9th Annual VES Awards will take place on Tuesday, February 1, 2011 at the Beverly Hilton Hotel and will air exclusively on REELZCHANNEL Saturday, February 19, 2011 at 10p ET/PT with encore presentations throughout February.

Nominees included:

Outstanding Visual Effects in a Broadcast Series

Caprica

Michael Gibson VFX Producer, Gary Hutzel VFX Supervisor, Davey Morton VFX Artist,
    Jesse Toves CGI Artist

No Ordinary Family

Andrew Orloff VFX Supervisor, Curt Miller VFX Supervisor, Paul Linden VFX Supervisor, Scott Tinter VFX Producer

V

Andrew Orloff VFX Supervisor, Nathan Overstrom 2D Supervisor, Karen Czukerberg VFX Producer, Roberto Biagi VFX Supervisor

The Event

Victor Scalise Visual Effects Supervisor, Jason Spratt Visual Effects Producer,
    Diego Galtieri Compositor, Mike Enriquez Lead 3D Artist

Stargate: Universe

Mark Savela VFX Supervisor, James Rorick VFX Producer, Craig Vanden Biggelaar Digital Effects Supervisor, Adam de Bosch Kemper Lead Animator

For more information on the VES Awards, sponsorship and tickets, please visit
    www.visualeffectssociety.com.
    Last edited by antipodal; 10 January 2011, 09:13 AM.
    Blog Twitter

While I'd love for SGU to win, I can't really see past the quality of Caprica's VFX. I haven't seen No Ordinary Family, The Event didn't seem to have much of note from what I saw, and some of the stuff on V has been absolutely awful.

Comment

Hopefully SGU will win this one.
      sigpic

Comment

So this would be for the serie in general, not for a specific episode?
        Grimm returns October 24
        sigpic

Signature and Avatar by Hyndara71 - Thank you very much
        Profile Picture by BM-Shipper

Comment

Not sure, there isn't any mention of an episode in the press release, but when SGU was nominated last season there was, as when SG-1 and SGA have been nominated too.

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
            Not sure, there isn't any mention of an episode in the press release, but when SGU was nominated last season there was, as when SG-1 and SGA have been nominated too.
            thanks - then it would be interesting to know which episode is nominated
            Grimm returns October 24
            sigpic

Signature and Avatar by Hyndara71 - Thank you very much
            Profile Picture by BM-Shipper

Comment

If SGU or Caprica don't win this, the competition is probably rigged.

Comment

woohoo!
                sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Don't get your hopes up.
                  The winner in these things is always a show from ABC, FOX, NBC, CBS, HBO or Showtime.

Comment

Any chance us fans can vote in it to help out?

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                      Any chance us fans can vote in it to help out?
                      Well, here's the link to the Rules and Procedures for the VES Awards. In them it says: Voting (Members Only). To be a VES member, you can be Active ( member who has been actively engaged in the production or creation of Visual Effects for not less than five [5] years, within the last ten [10] years preceding application for membership. If the applicant seeks Active Membership, two [2] Active Members in good standing must endorse this application) or Associate (a member whose professional activities have involved a close relationship with, and exceptional achievements in, the field of Visual Effects for not less than five [5] years. If the applicant seeks Associate Membership, two [2] Members in good standing, who are either Associate or Active, must endorse this application).

So based on that, I would say no on the fans being able to vote.
                      Blog Twitter

Comment

Never seen any of the other shows but given the amazing quality of SGU's effect, I would be surprised if it didn't win
                        In the darkness of night we hear the whispers of the void

Comment

Originally posted by Jaemal View Post
                          Never seen any of the other shows but given the amazing quality of SGU's effect, I would be surprised if it didn't win
                          Caprica is not bad at all , I don't know the other shows, but I guess all of them have quite good visual effects, for that I would be surprised if SGU would win.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Artemis-Neith View Post
                            Caprica is not bad at all , I don't know the other shows, but I guess all of them have quite good visual effects, for that I would be surprised if SGU would win.
                            From what I've seen V's Visual Effects are horrible, and The Event's aren't that great. SGU has great ones, but I think Caprica has the best.

Comment

V special effects are crap, an that being polite saw better stuff being done at uni, that landing of the shuttle in Rome was terrible, honestly EFC was doing better CGI back in the day.

Event has one special effects scene in it that even attracted my attention an that was the satelite in Earth orbit, the wormhole effects are not bad.

Have not seen no ordinary family, so cannot comment.

SGU has done some brilliant CGI with the aliens, an some of the ship sequences have been brilliant, especially destiny blowing up.

Caprica CGI has always be top notch throughout the series.

But even know the above two superior special effects to the other shows, I still suspect the V, The event or no ordinary family will win, even if I do not think they deserve it.

Comment

Working...
                              X