Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Destiny's Mission what set everything in motion?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Destiny's Mission what set everything in motion?

Spoiler:
    So Destiny has a mission of examining the cosmic microwave background radiation, looking for evidence of a designer.

So, what if it wasn't the Ancients who discovered this but the Alterans. Subtle distinction, I know, but it could explain a lot and here is why:

Rush said that there were philosophical debates about the radiation stored in the computer. We know that the Ori were about faith while the Ancients were about science. Well, what if the discovery of the radiation is what initially caused the split? Those that would later become the Ancients wanted to probe this scientifically those that became the Ori didn't. Perhaps, the Ori's predecessors believed that ascension could get them closer to whatever/whoever created the radiation and somewhere along the line fundamentalist thinking crept in causing the Ori to actually believe that they were gods. As a result the faction of the Alterans starts packing for "Avalon," seeds the MW with Stargates and the rest is history.

Think I'm on to something or am I light years off (don't worry I have thick skin)?
    Last edited by jsonitsac; 06 December 2010, 07:37 PM.

I think you might have something. It can't entirely be dismissed. The only thing we have with which we can date when during ancient civilisation the destiny was launched was the starmap scene. It was launched from earth, so during the 'ancient' time( with lantean after that in pegasus, and alteran before in the ori galaxy ), when they were in the milkyway. It's very well possible that they split because of this issue, then the alterans went to the milky way and set in motion their plan to discover the truth.

We can't know for sure, but there's definately nothing contradicting it.

Comment

I like it! Good theory.

Comment

I don't even think the writers know wtf they're going to do considering they're filling out resumes given they don't have any word on season 3 yet. The whole thing with Rush blabbering about the structure was all B.S. to avoid getting killed by Young.

Comment

The Alterans are the Ancients. They are also the Ori.

Now if you're talking about the Altairans, then we have a different people altogether.

However, I do like the idea of Destiny's mission being the cause of the split into Ancients and Ori as separate factions. Green for you!
          sigpic
          ____I reserve the right to be completely wrong about any topic I post on.

Comment

Originally posted by The Destiny View Post
            I think you might have something. It can't entirely be dismissed. The only thing we have with which we can date when during ancient civilisation the destiny was launched was the starmap scene. It was launched from earth, so during the 'ancient' time( with lantean after that in pegasus, and alteran before in the ori galaxy ), when they were in the milkyway. It's very well possible that they split because of this issue, then the alterans went to the milky way and set in motion their plan to discover the truth.

We can't know for sure, but there's definately nothing contradicting it.
            I would think that they launched Destiny from Earth only because that would have been the only safe place they could have done so, especially if the Ori were more powerful and objected to the nature of the mission.

Comment

I like this theory

Comment

Originally posted by skarwolf View Post
                I don't even think the writers know wtf they're going to do considering they're filling out resumes given they don't have any word on season 3 yet. The whole thing with Rush blabbering about the structure was all B.S. to avoid getting killed by Young.
                I dont think Young wanted to kll him otherwise he would not have put the weapon down.
                He just wanted to get rid of his frustration with Rush and saw that belting the **** out of him was a good way to accomplish it.

It actually worked out for the best as they are getting on better now.

Comment

I like your theory but I dont think it has anything to do with why the Ori believe they are Gods.

I think the reason they saw themselves as Gods is because they created a race of followers and saw they could use it to become more powerful, much in the same way the Gould used the Jaffa. Now I am not saying that the Gould created Humans but they did use them to do thier Bidding.

The ori were infinitely more advanced than any other race except for the Ancients who had vacated the area. It is then that they became Egotesticle and self absorbed because when the ancients fled they probably thought nothing could stand in thier way. It would be pretty easy to claim you are all powerful after that.

Just my opinion.

Comment

the People of the ori galaxy split into two: the Alterans and the Ori. the Alterans, in the MW, were referred to and eventually called themselves Anquieta, or Ancients, and then in Pegasus lived under the name of Lanteans.

it's possible that the discovery was made back then
                    I think the reason they saw themselves as Gods is because they created a race of followers and saw they could use it to become more powerful, much in the same way the Gould used the Jaffa. Now I am not saying that the Gould created Humans but they did use them to do thier Bidding.

The ori were infinitely more advanced than any other race except for the Ancients who had vacated the area. It is then that they became Egotesticle and self absorbed because when the ancients fled they probably thought nothing could stand in thier way. It would be pretty easy to claim you are all powerful after that.
                    correct, though the CMBRM (cosmic microwave background radiation message) could've been one reason. one among many.

the Ori also believed (and yes there already were humans) that since they were pretty much gods to the humans in the galaxy, they might as well BE gods to them. while the Alterans refused this God role, the Ori embraced it.

interestingly, the Asgard did pose as gods, but only to guide and teach. research has shown that Religion WAS a pretty important aspect of our evolution

Comment

It would be ironic if the Ori had it right from the get go (there is a god etc)....

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                        It would be ironic if the Ori had it right from the get go (there is a god etc)....
                        But the Ori didn't believe in a god. They believed they were the gods.
                        sigpic

Comment

The Destiny was launched from the Milky Way, so that's the end of your theory right there.
                          Also, since when is the Destiny's mission "looking for evidence of a creator"?

Comment

Originally posted by reddevil18 View Post
                            The Destiny was launched from the Milky Way, so that's the end of your theory right there.
                            It's mission is to find the structure located in the background radiation. Rush said the structure couldn't have formed naturally and must have had an intelligence behind it. We assume this intelligence is a creator of sorts.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by reddevil18 View Post
                              No, I didn't say that Destiny was launched from the Ori galaxy. All I said is that the Alterans may have discovered the radiation. How they dealt with the radiation was what started the split between the Ancients and the Ori. It may have gotten to the point where the Ancients had to flee their homes and once they made it to the MW they were now free to conduct whatever scientific mission that they wanted to without fear of the Ori.

Comment

Working...
                              X