Non-SGU friends/family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Non-SGU friends/family

I have a physics dude who hasn't ever really watched SGU here, so he and another friend sat quietly through this amazing episode.

Interesting thing he mentioned:

If those spaceships were destroyed, the momentum of the debris would not be lost. All the pieces would float away from each-other infinitely, or be pulled into a stable orbit around the star. The orbits would be different for each piece of debris. So that "graveyard" didn't really make sense.

The friend who has never watched Stargate: "It was nice, but I didn't get a lot out of it. It was all blah blah blah..."

So out of two non-SGU'ers-- 1 loved it, and one said meh.

Any of your spouses, kids, friends catch a glimpse, and what did they say????
    sigpic
    Teal'c: "Appearances may be deceiving."
    O'Neill: "One man's ceiling is another man's floor."
    Daniel: "A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell."
    O'Neill: "Never run with...scissors?"

Originally posted by icsteffi View Post
    If those spaceships were destroyed, the momentum of the debris would not be lost. All the pieces would float away from each-other infinitely, or be pulled into a stable orbit around the star. The orbits would be different for each piece of debris. So that "graveyard" didn't really make sense.
    Well, of course tv and cinema is better than life but debris wouldn't float away infinitely for sure - not all of them, to be exact. So some would stay, some would float around, some would drift away.

Comment

More to point - I managed to make several non-SGaters watch SGU after S1 and they are hooked. One of them have seen previous SG series and he likes SGU better, due of inviting human drama.

Comment

No, I'm the only one in this entire town of three thousand people who likes Science fiction. The rest just want to get drunk and fight.

Comment

My family likes it except one member (who I won't mention publicly because I don't know if they want to be, even though you wouldn't have a clue who they are, haha) can't buy into the idea of the stargate, essentially teleportation. Even though this has been accomplished on the molecular scale.
          SyFy: "Are you SGU fans done asking for a third season?"
          SGU Fans: "WE'LL NEVER BE DONE!"

SAVE SGU! SGU CAMPAIGNS ARE UNITING AT SG:UNITE!
          ACTION PLAN TO GET SGU SEASON 3!

I have gotten 15 people hooked on SGU. How many more can you get? ‎
          Spoiler:
          *beep*
          Young: "What the hell was that?"
          Eli: "It's Destiny letting us know it finished assembling the simulation. Either that or pi is done."

Comment

I try to promote it so hard. But I just don't know exactly what is the best way. I do what I can, but hard-headed people are hard-headed people.

But the reason I bring this up is because I had ZERO interest in Stargate until I saw Ronan in SGA. Judge me all you want, but that's what got me going.

The random'est things can get someone hooked. If you have no stories about people watching this episode.......then what got YOU hooked?
            sigpic
            Teal'c: "Appearances may be deceiving."
            O'Neill: "One man's ceiling is another man's floor."
            Daniel: "A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell."
            O'Neill: "Never run with...scissors?"

Comment

Originally posted by icsteffi View Post
              I try to promote it so hard. But I just don't know exactly what is the best way. I do what I can, but hard-headed people are hard-headed people.

But the reason I bring this up is because I had ZERO interest in Stargate until I saw Ronan in SGA. Judge me all you want, but that's what got me going.

The random'est things can get someone hooked. If you have no stories about people watching this episode.......then what got YOU hooked?
              To be honest, it was when they flew into the sun in Light (part 2), that was some very nice CGI.

The problem with trying to get people hooked on SGU is that if you want to show them why they need to watch from the very start for the character build up, you end up spoiling the cliff-hangers such as episode 20. The thing is, episode 20, I think, would be enough to get many people hooked on the show.
              I also think Lost is a great episode.

Spoiler:
              *beep*
              Eli: "It's Destiny letting us know it finished assembling the simulation. Either that or pi is done."

Comment

That's a good point, Mozzza.

I want to get my sister into it but I'd have to show her most of season 2 for her to understand anything that's going on right now. And this is after showing her most of season 1 already. It's just hard to get into a show like this when you don't have a connection to the characters.

That's one of the reasons why Sg-1 is my favorite of the franchise. You just have to explain the stargate and the goauld and you can just let the bottle episode take care of the rest.

Comment

I made my girl watch the series with me starting from trial and error... she has seen every episode since and asked if i would watch season 1 with her to catch up.........um seriously you need to ask me that...
                  It is hard to get into the series at this point because of the serialized nature of the show but the episodes have been so amazing lately that it doesnt really seem to matter that she doesnt know everything that is going on. And she is the most curious about what Choloe's deal is.

Comment

Originally posted by ZoSo View Post
                    That's a good point, Mozzza.

I want to get my sister into it but I'd have to show her most of season 2 for her to understand anything that's going on right now. And this is after showing her most of season 1 already. It's just hard to get into a show like this when you don't have a connection to the characters.

That's one of the reasons why Sg-1 is my favorite of the franchise. You just have to explain the stargate and the goauld and you can just let the bottle episode take care of the rest.
                    I'm in the same position as you, except I haven't given SG-1 a fair chance yet.

Originally posted by kellx View Post
                    I made my girl watch the series with me starting from trial and error... she has seen every episode since and asked if i would watch season 1 with her to catch up.........um seriously you need to ask me that...
                    It is hard to get into the series at this point because of the serialized nature of the show but the episodes have been so amazing lately that it doesnt really seem to matter that she doesnt know everything that is going on. And she is the most curious about what Choloe's deal is.
                    The only problem with that is that she probably didn't get the full enjoyment out of the episode.
                    Spoiler:
                    I mean, when I saw Scott and the window cracking, I thought "there's no way they're killing him off the show", and for at least 15 seconds there I was sure he had been killed off the show. Without the character build up, you'd probably just think it was a cool effect.

Spoiler:
                    *beep*

Comment

Working...
                    X