X-Men (films) Chronology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

X-Men (films) Chronology

Can someone help me out on the chronology of the X-Men films. The first film opens with something like, "In the not too distant future..." X2 seems to be set soon after the first movie, and The Last Stand seems to be set soon after X2. However, when does Wolverine take place? It started off during the time of the Vietnam war, Stryker assembles a team which Wolverine leaves after the first mission, then it the rest of the movie is six years later.

Basically, X-Men 1-3 take place in the 2000's with Wolverine taking us back to the 70's, yes? In Wolverine, Cyclops is an older teenager; but in the trilogy... he seems to be in his late 20's or early 30's. There's a bit of a discrepency here...

I bring up chronology, because I've been debating a friend on what might happen in next year's X-Men: First Class.

X-Men Origins: Wolverine (intro and intro montage 1845-1960s)
    X-Men: First Class (1960s)
    X-Men Origins: Wolverine (1960s/70s)
    The Wolverine (?)
    X-Men Trilogy (2000s)
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

So, basically... I got the chronology right? What is The Wolverine?

Comment

Yep you got it right. And The Wolverine is the upcoming Origins/Wolverine sequel.
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Isn't that a long ways off? It seems like 20th Century Fox is putting all of it's focus on X-Men: First Class right now. I don't imagine the next Wolverine movie will be made until First Class is finished.

Comment

Well you're right in that pretty much all of the current advertising focus is going to be on First Class. But Fox has recently signed both Darren Arnofsky and his production company for a two-year partnership, the first film of which will be the new Wolverine movie. Which, incidentally, begins filming in March so I imagine the hype machine will start doing its thing around then.

Comment

Well if we consider X-1 to be the year 2000. Cyclops was in High School during Wolverine, so I think we should say it was about 1985. So it would have been 1979 when Logan left Stryker's team. We don't know how long he was in the team, but given the fact it was around the Vietnam era, Logan and Sabretooth could have joined up with Stryker any time between 63 and 75.

Since X-1, X-2 and X-3 all take place very close together (I'd say a few weeks apart, X-2 to X-3 probably less), Jean Grey being visited by Prof. X and Magento would have been 1980 and Angel trying to cut off his wings would have been 1990. I think that is a fairly solid timeline for the movies but X-1 starts off saying "In the not too distant future" so the years are probably off a bit, but they are fairly accurate in my opinion so the fact First Class is set during the 60s, we see Prof. X/Patrick Stewart and Magneto/Ian McKellan in 1980 (at the earliest) so this gives a good 20 years for the younger First Class actors to reasonably age into their older counterparts while giving young Stryker 15 years to age into his older counterpart.

First Class is a bit of a problem, because they use Alex Summers. Alex Summers/Havok is the younger brother of Cyclops, so during the 60s neither one of them should be born. They are also using Emma Frost. She was used in Wolverine (set around 1985) yet they are using her for First Class, during the 60s and played by an older actress than in Wolverine. So she can't be used in First Class if she's going to be a teenager/young adult in Wolverine 20+ years later. This isn't a big problem because she was never called Emma Frost in the film, just in marketing material so it's a small retcon.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                Well you're right in that pretty much all of the current advertising focus is going to be on First Class. But Fox has recently signed both Darren Arnofsky and his production company for a two-year partnership, the first film of which will be the new Wolverine movie. Which, incidentally, begins filming in March so I imagine the hype machine will start doing its thing around then.
                I didn't think filming on The Wolverine would begin until after First Class hit theaters. Wow... I guess FOX has a lot of confidence in these X-Men movies. That's awesome for us movie goers. haha

Comment

What X-Men movies?

There are none I can see.

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
                    Well if we consider X-1 to be the year 2000. Cyclops was in High School during Wolverine, so I think we should say it was about 1985. So it would have been 1979 when Logan left Stryker's team. We don't know how long he was in the team, but given the fact it was around the Vietnam era, Logan and Sabretooth could have joined up with Stryker any time between 63 and 75.
                    I got the impression that Stryker's team had one purpose: find adamantium. The Vietnam war ended in 1975, so the beginning of the movie would have happened no later than 1975 placing the rest of the movie no later than 1981.

Discounting flashbacks, I guess the timeline could go like this...

2000: X-Men (near future)
                    2003: X2 (weeks or months later)
                    2006: The Last Stand (weeks or months later)
                    2009: Wolverine (Vietnam era, six years later)

Comment

The search wouldn't load, so new thread...

What is the timeline for the original X-Men trilogy? I'm a little fuzzy on this.

X-Men came out in 2000 and began with, "In the not too distant future." X2: X-Men United seemed to take place several months later. Logan has returned from Alkaline Lake having found no answers. X-Men: The Last Stand seemed like a close follow up to X2. Scott is still grieving over the death of Jean, so again... it's probably just weeks or months later. I think the trilogy could easily happen within one year or just a span of months. X3 begins with Twenty Years Ago, and it seems to look like the 1980's. So, I'm guessing the trilogy is set between 2000 and 2010, but which year... just somewhere between?

When we come to the prequels, we get a more definitive time period. X-Men Origins: Wolverine begins in 1845, moves to 1973, and then to 1979 for the bulk of the story. X-Men: First Class begins in 1944 and then moves to 1962 for the present day.

When does the original trilogy take place?

Comment

In the 90s to early 2000s I believe, its difficult to say. I think First Class completely ignores the events of Wolverine and X3 as Brian Singer wasn't involved with those.

At least that is what a lot of X fans seem to believe.

Comment

I don't know the exact dates, but X1,X2 and X3 are all only a few months apart. All depends on the date of X1
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
                            In the 90s to early 2000s I believe, its difficult to say. I think First Class completely ignores the events of Wolverine and X3 as Brian Singer wasn't involved with those.
                            The trilogy can't take place in the 90's. The original film came out in 2000 and began with, "In the not too distant future." I could buy the early 2000's, but what about that opening statement about the future? As for First Class ignoring the last two films... why? Not being involved isn't really grounds to ignore half the series.

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post

At least that is what a lot of X fans seem to believe.
                              Isn't that kind of dumb for Bryan Singer to do? Though I wouldn't be surprised considering all the rewritten history he did with some characters in X1 and X2. I still find the movies entertaining but it drove me a bit nutty what he did with Rogue.
                              Orphan Black: Join the Clone Club Dance Party!

Comment

Working...
                              X