No announcement yet.

X-Men (films) Chronology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I believe Matthew Vaughn has already said that, if there's a sequel to First Class, he'll have no problem ignoring the continuity of the original trilogy and Origins/Wolverine in order to suit the storytelling of FC2. So it may not be worth all that much effort to try to place the chronology.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I want to see the comics' original 5 X-Men [Cyclops, Jean Grey, Beast, Iceman and Angel] fighting Sentinels. If ignoring 'continuity' will do that for me, then 'continuity' be damned.

Seriously, I'm a comic geek and I'm not the least bit concerned about the continuity or timeline of the movies. I just want good movies, and I'm more than willing to try and forget that X3 and Wolverine ever happened.
      sigpic
      More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
        I believe Matthew Vaughn has already said that, if there's a sequel to First Class, he'll have no problem ignoring the continuity of the original trilogy and Origins/Wolverine in order to suit the storytelling of FC2. So it may not be worth all that much effort to try to place the chronology.
        Why bother making it a prequel if he's not willing to acknowledge the earlier movies?

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
        I'm more than willing to try and forget that X3 and Wolverine ever happened.
        Some of us like those films. I especially loved Wolverine.
        Last edited by Snowman37; 04 June 2011, 07:46 AM.

Comment

Who says it must be a prequel to the other four films? From what I understand, FC already defies a number of things established in the trilogy and Wolverine--never mind how much FC2 might ignore in addition to that.

As to the other subject being discussed, I didn't really mind Wolverine. I didn't think it was great, especially when compared with X-Men and X2, but it was decent (aside from the moronic and WRONG Deadpool side story). X3 though, good god. What an abortion of a film; it deserves nothing better then to be purged from all existence.
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
            Who says it must be a prequel to the other four films?
            It was advertised that way. Trailer on YouTube

From what I understand, FC already defies a number of things established in the trilogy and Wolverine
            Yes, I listed five of them. Others have mentioned more. Some of it can be dismissed as creative changes to make the prequel more interesting. The only change that bothers me is Xavior being paralyzed in 1962 when he's walking around in the 70's and 80's.

As to the other subject being discussed, I didn't really mind Wolverine. I didn't think it was great, especially when compared with X-Men and X2, but it was decent (aside from the moronic and WRONG Deadpool side story).
            Wolverine was a brilliant film. I don't really have a favorite from the series, but Wolverine was top notch. What do you mean by the moronic and wrong Deadlpool side? Are you talking about Weapon XI? I loved that!

X3 though, good god. What an abortion of a film; it deserves nothing better then to be purged from all existence.
            Why so much hate for X3? In fact, scratch that. I'll start a thread on that, because I expect this thread to be derailed if I ask here.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
              Why bother making it a prequel if he's not willing to acknowledge the earlier movies?
              Just add time travel and it will be okay.

Some of us like those films. I especially loved Wolverine.
              I loved Wolverine too(not big on Deadpool's fate but enjoyed the rest of it).

Comment

X1 took place in 1994, because they said its been 15 years since logan had his memory erased. And Wolverine was in '79, cuz the three mile island meltdown occurred in march of that year. All these movies are based on real historical events, as well as the cuban missile crisis of october of '62 for First Class

Comment

Originally posted by Hanson3 View Post
                  X1 took place in 1994
                  The movie came out in 2000 and began with, "In the not too distant future..."

because they said its been 15 years since logan had his memory erased.
                  In the original or X2, what scene?

And Wolverine was in '79, cuz the three mile island meltdown occurred in march of that year. All these movies are based on real historical events, as well as the cuban missile crisis of october of '62 for First Class'
                  Only the two prequels have revolved around historical events.

Comment

it just so happens that I watched all 5 X-films last week,and made a little timeline from what I could gather:

1845 James Howlett and Victor Creed discover their mutation and flee from their home
                    1861–1865 James and Victor fight in the American Civil War
                    1914-1918 James and Victor fight in World War I
                    1939-1945 James and Victor fight in World War II
                    1944 Erik Lensherr descovers his mutation while in concentration camp,Charles Xavier meets Raven Darkhölme (18 BXFC)*
                    1955-1973 James and Victor fight in the Vietnam War
                    1962 majority of X-Men: First Class
                    1973-1979 majority of X-Men Origins: Wolverine
                    1974? Charles and Erik meet Jean Grey (20 BXT)**
                    1984? Warren Worthington II discovers Warren Worthington III's mutation (10BXT)
                    1994?*** majority of X-Men,X2: X-Men United and X-Men: The Last Stand

*BXFC=Before X-Men: First Class
                    **BXT=Before X-Trilogy
                    ***in X2 William Stryker comments that it's been 15 years since the end of X-Men Origins: Wolverine

Comment

I don't know about the 1994 year for the original trilogy. You're basing this off X2 saying that Wolverine's change happened 15 years ago, but that dialogue was written before Wolverine was setup to take place in the 1970's. There have been other retcons such as Xavier ending up in the wheelchair in '62 instead of less than 20 years before The Last Stand. How can the original movie take place in 1994 when it was released in 2000 with the caption, "In the not too distant future?" One could argue that when the Wolverine prequel was made, the "15 years ago" comment from X2 was probably ignored so as to be free to pick any time period for Wolverine to get amnesia.

Comment

I believe he/ she got it pretty close but the only thing I would change is put: The Wolverine and make that the last film. For instance:
                        X-men origins: Wolverine (from here..)
                        X-men: first class
                        X-men: days of futures past (sequel to first class and suppose to tie into the last stand)
                        X-men origins: Wolverine (...To Here)
                        X-men
                        X2
                        X-men: The last stand
                        The Wolverine

Movies possible to come:
                        X-Force
                        X-men origins: Deadpool (staring Ryan Reynolds)

Comment

I'd love an X force movie, along with cable, X factor and possibly even excalibur.

Comment

Working...
                          X