Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: X-Men (films) Chronology

Lieutenant Colonel

Default X-Men (films) Chronology

Can someone help me out on the chronology of the X-Men films. The first film opens with something like, "In the not too distant future..." X2 seems to be set soon after the first movie, and The Last Stand seems to be set soon after X2. However, when does Wolverine take place? It started off during the time of the Vietnam war, Stryker assembles a team which Wolverine leaves after the first mission, then it the rest of the movie is six years later.

Basically, X-Men 1-3 take place in the 2000's with Wolverine taking us back to the 70's, yes? In Wolverine, Cyclops is an older teenager; but in the trilogy... he seems to be in his late 20's or early 30's. There's a bit of a discrepency here...

I bring up chronology, because I've been debating a friend on what might happen in next year's X-Men: First Class.

Default Re: X-Men (films) Chronology

X-Men Origins: Wolverine (intro and intro montage 1845-1960s)
    X-Men: First Class (1960s)
    X-Men Origins: Wolverine (1960s/70s)
    The Wolverine (?)
    X-Men Trilogy (2000s)

Lieutenant Colonel

So, basically... I got the chronology right? What is The Wolverine?

Yep you got it right. And The Wolverine is the upcoming Origins/Wolverine sequel.

Lieutenant Colonel

Isn't that a long ways off? It seems like 20th Century Fox is putting all of it's focus on X-Men: First Class right now. I don't imagine the next Wolverine movie will be made until First Class is finished.

Well you're right in that pretty much all of the current advertising focus is going to be on First Class. But Fox has recently signed both Darren Arnofsky and his production company for a two-year partnership, the first film of which will be the new Wolverine movie. Which, incidentally, begins filming in March so I imagine the hype machine will start doing its thing around then.

Well if we consider X-1 to be the year 2000. Cyclops was in High School during Wolverine, so I think we should say it was about 1985. So it would have been 1979 when Logan left Stryker's team. We don't know how long he was in the team, but given the fact it was around the Vietnam era, Logan and Sabretooth could have joined up with Stryker any time between 63 and 75.

Since X-1, X-2 and X-3 all take place very close together (I'd say a few weeks apart, X-2 to X-3 probably less), Jean Grey being visited by Prof. X and Magento would have been 1980 and Angel trying to cut off his wings would have been 1990. I think that is a fairly solid timeline for the movies but X-1 starts off saying "In the not too distant future" so the years are probably off a bit, but they are fairly accurate in my opinion so the fact First Class is set during the 60s, we see Prof. X/Patrick Stewart and Magneto/Ian McKellan in 1980 (at the earliest) so this gives a good 20 years for the younger First Class actors to reasonably age into their older counterparts while giving young Stryker 15 years to age into his older counterpart.

First Class is a bit of a problem, because they use Alex Summers. Alex Summers/Havok is the younger brother of Cyclops, so during the 60s neither one of them should be born. They are also using Emma Frost. She was used in Wolverine (set around 1985) yet they are using her for First Class, during the 60s and played by an older actress than in Wolverine. So she can't be used in First Class if she's going to be a teenager/young adult in Wolverine 20+ years later. This isn't a big problem because she was never called Emma Frost in the film, just in marketing material so it's a small retcon.

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by DigiFluid View Post
    Well you're right in that pretty much all of the current advertising focus is going to be on First Class. But Fox has recently signed both Darren Arnofsky and his production company for a two-year partnership, the first film of which will be the new Wolverine movie. Which, incidentally, begins filming in March so I imagine the hype machine will start doing its thing around then.
    I didn't think filming on The Wolverine would begin until after First Class hit theaters. Wow... I guess FOX has a lot of confidence in these X-Men movies. That's awesome for us movie goers. haha

First Lieutenant Galileo_Galilee's Avatar

What X-Men movies?

There are none I can see.

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by SaberBlade View Post
    Well if we consider X-1 to be the year 2000. Cyclops was in High School during Wolverine, so I think we should say it was about 1985. So it would have been 1979 when Logan left Stryker's team. We don't know how long he was in the team, but given the fact it was around the Vietnam era, Logan and Sabretooth could have joined up with Stryker any time between 63 and 75.
    I got the impression that Stryker's team had one purpose: find adamantium. The Vietnam war ended in 1975, so the beginning of the movie would have happened no later than 1975 placing the rest of the movie no later than 1981.

Discounting flashbacks, I guess the timeline could go like this...

2000: X-Men (near future)
    2003: X2 (weeks or months later)
    2006: The Last Stand (weeks or months later)
    2009: Wolverine (Vietnam era, six years later)

Lieutenant Colonel

Default X-Men film chronology

The search wouldn't load, so new thread...

What is the timeline for the original X-Men trilogy? I'm a little fuzzy on this.

X-Men came out in 2000 and began with, "In the not too distant future." X2: X-Men United seemed to take place several months later. Logan has returned from Alkaline Lake having found no answers. X-Men: The Last Stand seemed like a close follow up to X2. Scott is still grieving over the death of Jean, so again... it's probably just weeks or months later. I think the trilogy could easily happen within one year or just a span of months. X3 begins with Twenty Years Ago, and it seems to look like the 1980's. So, I'm guessing the trilogy is set between 2000 and 2010, but which year... just somewhere between?

When we come to the prequels, we get a more definitive time period. X-Men Origins: Wolverine begins in 1845, moves to 1973, and then to 1979 for the bulk of the story. X-Men: First Class begins in 1944 and then moves to 1962 for the present day.

When does the original trilogy take place?

Default Re: X-Men film chronology

In the 90s to early 2000s I believe, its difficult to say. I think First Class completely ignores the events of Wolverine and X3 as Brian Singer wasn't involved with those.

At least that is what a lot of X fans seem to believe.

I don't know the exact dates, but X1,X2 and X3 are all only a few months apart. All depends on the date of X1

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by Replicator Todd View Post
    In the 90s to early 2000s I believe, its difficult to say. I think First Class completely ignores the events of Wolverine and X3 as Brian Singer wasn't involved with those.
    The trilogy can't take place in the 90's. The original film came out in 2000 and began with, "In the not too distant future." I could buy the early 2000's, but what about that opening statement about the future? As for First Class ignoring the last two films... why? Not being involved isn't really grounds to ignore half the series.

Quote Originally Posted by Replicator Todd View Post

At least that is what a lot of X fans seem to believe.
    Isn't that kind of dumb for Bryan Singer to do? Though I wouldn't be surprised considering all the rewritten history he did with some characters in X1 and X2. I still find the movies entertaining but it drove me a bit nutty what he did with Rogue.
    Orphan Black: Join the Clone Club Dance Party!

I believe Matthew Vaughn has already said that, if there's a sequel to First Class, he'll have no problem ignoring the continuity of the original trilogy and Origins/Wolverine in order to suit the storytelling of FC2. So it may not be worth all that much effort to try to place the chronology.

I want to see the comics' original 5 X-Men [Cyclops, Jean Grey, Beast, Iceman and Angel] fighting Sentinels. If ignoring 'continuity' will do that for me, then 'continuity' be damned.

Seriously, I'm a comic geek and I'm not the least bit concerned about the continuity or timeline of the movies. I just want good movies, and I'm more than willing to try and forget that X3 and Wolverine ever happened.

Lieutenant Colonel

I believe Matthew Vaughn has already said that, if there's a sequel to First Class, he'll have no problem ignoring the continuity of the original trilogy and Origins/Wolverine in order to suit the storytelling of FC2. So it may not be worth all that much effort to try to place the chronology.
    Why bother making it a prequel if he's not willing to acknowledge the earlier movies?

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    I'm more than willing to try and forget that X3 and Wolverine ever happened.
    Some of us like those films. I especially loved Wolverine.
    Last edited by Snowman37; June 4th, 2011 at 07:46 AM.

Who says it must be a prequel to the other four films? From what I understand, FC already defies a number of things established in the trilogy and Wolverine--never mind how much FC2 might ignore in addition to that.

As to the other subject being discussed, I didn't really mind Wolverine. I didn't think it was great, especially when compared with X-Men and X2, but it was decent (aside from the moronic and WRONG Deadpool side story). X3 though, good god. What an abortion of a film; it deserves nothing better then to be purged from all existence.

Lieutenant Colonel

Who says it must be a prequel to the other four films?
    It was advertised that way. Trailer on YouTube

From what I understand, FC already defies a number of things established in the trilogy and Wolverine
    Yes, I listed five of them. Others have mentioned more. Some of it can be dismissed as creative changes to make the prequel more interesting. The only change that bothers me is Xavior being paralyzed in 1962 when he's walking around in the 70's and 80's.

As to the other subject being discussed, I didn't really mind Wolverine. I didn't think it was great, especially when compared with X-Men and X2, but it was decent (aside from the moronic and WRONG Deadpool side story).
    Wolverine was a brilliant film. I don't really have a favorite from the series, but Wolverine was top notch. What do you mean by the moronic and wrong Deadlpool side? Are you talking about Weapon XI? I loved that!

X3 though, good god. What an abortion of a film; it deserves nothing better then to be purged from all existence.
    Why so much hate for X3? In fact, scratch that. I'll start a thread on that, because I expect this thread to be derailed if I ask here.