X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who actors in other roles

David Tennant to star in Busby Babes BBC drama

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-11752437

David Tennant is to star in a new BBC drama about Manchester United and a plane crash that killed eight of the team's players in 1958.

United will bring to life the disaster using first-hand interviews with the survivors and their families.

The players, who became known as the Busby Babes - after manager Sir Matt Busby, became the youngest side to win the football league.

Tennant, best known as Doctor Who, will play Welsh-born coach Jimmy Murphy.

Murphy, from Rhondda, was not involved in the fatal crash but helped to piece together the team as Busby recovered from his injuries.

He managed to steer United to that season's FA Cup final and in the same year, as Wales coach, guided his country to the World Cup quarter-finals, where they lost to eventual winners Brazil.

At the time of the accident the team were on their way home from a European Cup match against Red Star Belgrade.

During a stop-off in Munich to refuel, the Ambassador prop-plane skidded off the runway on the third attempt to get airborne for the onward flight.

Half of the 44 passengers - including players, United staff, journalists, supporters and crew - were killed.

Actor Jack O'Connell, who has appeared in Skins, will play Bobby Charlton and Sam Claflin from Any Human Heart will play Duncan Edwards, who died 15 days after the crash.

The actor playing Busby is yet to be named.

Chris Chibnall, whose credits include Torchwood, has written the series.

I'm really looking forward to this one.

This, however, sounds bloody awful.

Karen Gillan to star in 'Romeo And Brittney'

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/s...-brittney.html

Doctor Who star Karen Gillan will lead the cast of David Baddiel's directorial debut Romeo And Brittney.

The actress has been cast as a New Jersey high-schooler who gets sent back in time to 13th century Verona and finds herself trapped in Shakespeare's Romeo And Juliet.

Gillian Anderson will play Gillan's mother and a nurse in Verona, while Misfits actor Robert Sheehan is the school nerd who becomes Brittney's Romeo.

Baddiel, who penned this year's Omid Djalili comedy The Infidel, will begin shooting the $7 million production next May.

Producer Arvind Ethan David told Deadline that Baddiel's film is being touted as "Shakespeare In Love meets Clueless".

"We both love literate teen comedies and we wanted to do our own version," he said. "After all, 10 Things I Hate About You was based on The Taming Of The Shrew just as Clueless was based on Jane Austen’s Emma and Easy A is inspired by Nathaniel Hawthorne's The Scarlet Letter.

"And what is Twilight if it's not Romeo And Juliet with vampires and werewolves?”

Gillan can next be seen in the Doctor Who Christmas special 'A Christmas Carol'.

Comment

David Tennant narrates Polar Bear: Spy on the Ice on Wednesday 29th December 2010 - BBC1 at 8.00 p.m.

Comment

I'm surprised people have yet to say that Martha Jones is now a star of Law & Order: UK

Comment

Or Billie Piper doing Secret Diary of a Call Girl. Series 1 was a lot of silly fun. Series 2 was a bit boring, and Series 3 was just a disaster. It's returning for a fourth and final series at the end of January.

Yeah, it's exactly what you think it is (though BP's nekkidness kind of ceased after Series 1)
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by jameshawking View Post
            I'm surprised people have yet to say that Martha Jones is now a star of Law & Order: UK
            I was surprised to see her. I yelled out "that's Martha..."

She also did the narration to UK series "Embarassing Illnesses" though not sure how many episodes.

Also the gorgeous Alex Kingston did appearances in the US version of Law & Order as a DA I think and also a brief appearance in a 2005 made for TV mini series of the Posseidon Adventure
            Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jameshawking View Post
              Bill Paterson, who appeared as Edwin Bracewell in "Victory of the Daleks", is also now part of Law & Order: UK.
              sigpic

Comment

I seriously could see Alex Kingston cast in a vampy role...She's curvacious and gorgeous. Would totally suit that.

Comment

Tennant and Tate in Much Ado

http://gallifreynewsbase.blogspot.co...d-tate-in.html

David Tennant and Catherine Tate appeared on BBC's Breakfast this morning to chat about their latest project together.

The two are to appear in a production of William Shakespeare's Much Ado About Nothing, which opens in London's Wyndham Theatre from 16th May 2011. They will be playing the roles of combative lovers Beatrice and Benedick in the play, being directed by Bush Theatre Artistic Director Josie Rourke.

This is the duo's first full collaboration together, though they have been firm friends since meeting for the first time on the set of Doomsday and have presented The Jonathan Ross Show for BBC Radio 2 together a number of times. Catherine Tate explained:

The idea came from us, we went to them. I'd always wanted to do it, but never said, because I thought it was too close to the Doctor Who time when I was thinking about doing it ages ago, with David - he would have been absolutely my ideal Benedict. And then David just rang in the summer and said "look I'd like to do it, what do you think?" and I said oh god I've been wanting to ask you for years!
                  David Tennant's last appearance on the stage playing Hamlet met with critical acclaim, and he talked about returning to the theatre:

Theatre is where we both started really, and it still to me feels like my proper job a little bit. And although I've had the opportunity to go and do lots of exciting things elsewhere on tv, films and so on, going back to the theatre feels like something that I would naturally do. And to get the chance to go to work with your mates and do a play you really wanted to do just felt like an opportunity that was too good to miss.
                  David Tennant is not a stranger to the role, having previously played Benedick in a BBC Radio 3 adaptation of the play alongside Samantha Spiro as Beatrice, broadcast in October 2005 - a couple of months before his debut story as the Doctor, The Christmas Invasion.

Catherine Tate is currently appearing in Season's Greetings at the National Theatre, alongside Mark Gatiss and David Troughton.

The issue of tickets were discussed on the programme (available to book now from the theatre), especially in regard to how quickly tickets sold out for Tennant's performance in Hamlet - subsequently this morning has seen the booking facilities for the play overwhelmed by fans of the duo trying to obtain tickets!
                  Last edited by Blencathra; 08 January 2011, 05:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Blencathra View Post
                    Tennant and Tate in Much Ado

http://gallifreynewsbase.blogspot.co...d-tate-in.html

David Tennant and Catherine Tate appeared on BBC's Breakfast this morning to chat about their latest project together.

The two are to appear in a production of William Shakespeare's Much Ado About Nothing, which opens in London's Wyndham Theatre from 16th May 2011. They will be playing the roles of combative lovers Beatrice and Benedick in the play, being directed by Bush Theatre Artistic Director Josie Rourke.

This is the duo's first full collaboration together, though they have been firm friends since meeting for the first time on the set of Doomsday and have presented The Jonathan Ross Show for BBC Radio 2 together a number of times. Catherine Tate explained:

David Tennant's last appearance on the stage playing Hamlet met with critical acclaim, and he talked about returning to the theatre:

David Tennant is not a stranger to the role, having previously played Benedick in a BBC Radio 3 adaptation of the play alongside Samantha Spiro as Beatrice, broadcast in October 2005 - a couple of months before his debut story as the Doctor, The Christmas Invasion.

Catherine Tate is currently appearing in Season's Greetings at the National Theatre, alongside Mark Gatiss and David Troughton.

The issue of tickets were discussed on the programme (available to book now from the theatre), especially in regard to how quickly tickets sold out for Tennant's performance in Hamlet - subsequently this morning has seen the booking facilities for the play overwhelmed by fans of the duo trying to obtain tickets!

That is going to be SO POPULAR......... Tickets will fly out the door

Comment

David Tennant Joins The Hobbit?

http://www.moviefone.co.uk/2011/01/1...ns-the-hobbit/

More hot gossip from the set of The Hobbit as rumour has it that ex-Doctor Who, David Tennant, is in line to play Thranduil the Elvenking in Peter Jackson's adaptation.

As we reported yesterday, Lord of the Rings alumni, Ian McKellen and Andy Serkis, have also joined the cast, which includes Martin Freeman and Cate Blanchett.

Tennant was also, apparently, once up for the lead role as Bilbo Baggins, although he lost out to Sherlock star, Freeman. The character Thranduil is the father of LOTR favourite, Elven heartthrob Legolas - played by Orlando Bloom, who also may be briefly reprising his role. The Sun are reporting that Bloom will receive $1 million for a two-minute appearance in The Hobbit.

It seems that Jackson is intent on retaining the services of most of the original LOTR cast - no matter how brief the cameo. Christopher Lee is apparently in negotiations to appear as the bad wizard, Saruman, and Ian Holm may also reprise his role as the older Bilbo Baggins.

As well as Cate Blanchett returning as royal Elf, Galadriel, and rumour went around last week that Elijah Wood was ready to play Frodo Baggins again, acting as narrator for the events that take place in The Hobbit.

Jackson is filming The Hobbit in two parts, back-to-back. Part one is expected in cinemas in December 2012 with the second instalment following a year later.

Comment

Originally posted by Blencathra View Post
                        David Tennant Joins The Hobbit?

http://www.moviefone.co.uk/2011/01/1...ns-the-hobbit/

More hot gossip from the set of The Hobbit as rumour has it that ex-Doctor Who, David Tennant, is in line to play Thranduil the Elvenking in Peter Jackson's adaptation.

As we reported yesterday, Lord of the Rings alumni, Ian McKellen and Andy Serkis, have also joined the cast, which includes Martin Freeman and Cate Blanchett.

Tennant was also, apparently, once up for the lead role as Bilbo Baggins, although he lost out to Sherlock star, Freeman. The character Thranduil is the father of LOTR favourite, Elven heartthrob Legolas - played by Orlando Bloom, who also may be briefly reprising his role. The Sun are reporting that Bloom will receive $1 million for a two-minute appearance in The Hobbit.

It seems that Jackson is intent on retaining the services of most of the original LOTR cast - no matter how brief the cameo. Christopher Lee is apparently in negotiations to appear as the bad wizard, Saruman, and Ian Holm may also reprise his role as the older Bilbo Baggins.

As well as Cate Blanchett returning as royal Elf, Galadriel, and rumour went around last week that Elijah Wood was ready to play Frodo Baggins again, acting as narrator for the events that take place in The Hobbit.

Jackson is filming The Hobbit in two parts, back-to-back. Part one is expected in cinemas in December 2012 with the second instalment following a year later.
                        I am sure this is gonna be a great fun. I am very much excited to watch it. I love each and every episode of Doctor Who. In-fact the previous series of Doctor Who Episodes online.. Damn crazy for Doctor Who....

Comment

I'm REALLY looking forward to this. John Simm, Philip Glenister, Max Beesley and Marc Warren in the upcoming Sky 1 series Mad Dogs. No air date as yet.

Comment

Author Isherwood inspires Dr Who star Matt Smith

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12785474

The story of novelist Christopher Isherwood, one of the 20th Century's most influential writers, is being told in a new TV drama starring Dr Who's Matt Smith.

The drama is adapted from Isherwood's autobiographical novel Christopher and his Kind, which covers the author's time in pre-World War II Berlin.

It will give a glimpse into the life of an author who was friends with WH Auden and whose works included The Berlin Stories, which inspired the musical Cabaret, and A Single Man, which was adapted into a film starring Colin Firth.

Spoiler:

"He's primarily so fascinating because he's a brilliant writer," says Smith.

"But not only that, he's a brilliant writer who was gay in a certain era of Britain, where it was difficult to be gay. And I suppose his journey is just very interesting."

It was a journey that took Isherwood to Berlin in the 1930s, where he was able to embrace his homosexuality in a way that was almost impossible in Britain. Exploring this part of the character was a very different experience for the actor best known for Dr Who.

Isherwood was friends with WH Auden "There was a lot of naked acting took place. Kissing of boys and things," remembers Smith.

"I like challenging the perception of who I am as an actor, without wishing to sound too self important by saying that. I don't know if playing someone who's gay does that. I don't know if having sex on screen with a man does that. It was a part of the story. [So] you've got to step up to the plate and play it."

At the same time, political changes were taking place in the city, with an equally strong impact on Isherwood. "Going to Berlin really opened his eyes," says Smith.

"It wasn't only a sexual awakening for him. But very much a political one, when you read his novels, particularly The Berlin diaries and Christopher and his Kind - they're so informed with his time in Berlin.

"His identity changes. His perspective. His values. And this manages to encapsulate that, I hope. And I think it captures a period that is very interesting, the burgeoning presence of Nazism and things like that are dramatic. Harrowing, but dramatic."

Berlin is a city that Smith has visited, and which he says he finds fascinating because of its complex history. "What I find remarkable about Berlin is that a place that has been through the most ardent periods of fascism that we know, probably is one of the most liberal places I've ever been," he says.

Douglas Booth (left) plays Heinz Neddermeyer, who Isherwood meets and falls in love with "It's a wonderful place, a wonderful city. And I think Christopher really felt the spirit of it and the spirit of the people."

As part of his research, Smith also met Don Bachardy, who was Isherwood's partner until the author's death in 1986. He also studied footage of the writer to try and capture his mannerisms.

"Once you start to get into the nuts and bolts of the man, he's very interesting," says Smith. "The way he holds himself, even the way he talks. He's got quite a clipped, different voice. All those things as an actor are quite interesting as they all tell a story, I guess."

With interest in Isherwood and his work rising in recent years, Smith hopes this dramatisation of his life will further increase the public's appetite for his writing.

"I really hope it pushes people towards his literature. Because his literature is brilliant. He's just a wonderful prose writer, he really is. Christopher and his Kind is wonderful. The Berlin Stories are great. And A Single Man.

"I can't urge people enough to go out and read his stuff."

Christopher and his Kind is on BBC Two at 2130 GMT on Saturday 19th March

Comment

Karen Gillan star to play Jean Shrimpton for BBC Four

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12906379

Actress Karen Gillan has landed her first lead role since playing Amy Pond in Doctor Who, it has been announced.

The 23-year-old TV star will play sixties supermodel Jean Shrimpton in a BBC Four film, which will be screened later this year.

We'll Take Manhattan will explore Shrimpton's relationship with British photographer David Bailey.

"I am so excited to be playing somebody who had such a lasting impact on the fashion world," Gillan said.

Bailey and Shrimpton helped shape the Swinging London era of the 1960s.

'The Shrimp' became one of the world's most recognisable faces after appearing on various magazine covers such as Vogue, Harper's Bazaar and Vanity Fair.

As well as being dubbed the world's first supermodel, she was also credited with helping to make the mini skirt popular.

The film focuses on a particular week in 1962 in New York when the model and photographer first met at a photoshoot.

BBC4 Four controller Richard Klein said the channel was committed to "dramatising moments that have changed the course of cultural life".

Comment

Working...
                              X