2 episodes in a row with no Stargate action

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 episodes in a row with no Stargate action

Has anyone noticed that we have a lot of episodes with absolutely zero Stargate action?

Trial and Error had nothing to do with the Stargate. Now the same with The Greater Good.
    The same can be said about Awakening and Pathogen.

So out of 7 episodes so far this season, 4 of them had zero Stargate action in them.

Don't get me wrong, I like SGU. But they seem to be drifting too far away from their roots. SGA and SG1 had the occasional episode with no Stargate action. But I doubt they ever went over 50% of the episodes like SGU is doing.

In Awakening, there was a failed attempt to dial Earth. Also, we saw a Stargate factory.

But they seem to be drifting too far away from their roots.
    Yep, in order to enhance the mythology. After 15 years the franchise is much more than the idea behind the gates.

Comment

If you must compare, then SGU is still more stargate-y (you may want to notice the little "s") than previous series were in latest seasons. So far, there's been gate used in "Intervention", "Aftermath", "Pathogen" (how awesome was that!) and
      Spoiler:
      next week's "Malice".
      Looks good to me.
      sigpic

Comment

It's in the title, but not required to be in most episodes.

We could do with some normal gating though.

Although I took a look at SGA season 5, and roughly half of those didn't include gating either
        ( The seed, The daedalus variations, Ghost in the machine ( except the very very very end ) , The queen, First contact ( exploding gate excluded ) , The lost tribe, The prodigal, ( only to allow the baddies in ) Remnants, Brain storm, Infection, Vegas )

I guess in SGU, adventure comes to you.

Like in Awakenings
        Spoiler:
        Destiny brings them to the seedership

And in The greater good
        Spoiler:
        Destiny brings them to the alien ship

The "planet of the week" thing still has to settle in with SGU, however I don't think noone is happy either way because most people complain calling all episodes between the pivotal ones "filler", so just exploring a planet for the heck of it is apparently bad..

Comment

Originally posted by Egle01 View Post
          If you must compare, then SGU is still more stargate-y (you may want to notice the little "s") than previous series were in latest seasons. So far, there's been gate used in "Intervention", "Aftermath", "Pathogen" (how awesome was that!) and
          Spoiler:
          next week's "Malice".
          Looks good to me.
          I think you mean Cloverdale, not Pathogen. Why is it in red?

My reply to the first post: Meh. Unfortunately given that SGU's trying to avoid medieval villages each week, it's a given that not every week could be a unique gate experience in itself - the medieval villages might be all female or have a Wraith problem that's different from last week's Wraith problem et cetera. There are so many more actual Stargate usage stories left really, and having the crew hunt for food every week would get kinda tedious - hell, after Water everyone here was convinced that each offworld trip to get something would be the same as Water and Air 3...
          ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

I'm glad that the arc seems to be bigger than just typical planet of the week fare. The last two episodes have been great, whether they stepped through a gate or not.

As for Awakening, although they didn't get to go through the gate, we finally saw something people have been waiting to see since early SG1, what was in essence a Stargate factory. Not to mention a Seeder Ship that was sent to seed Stargates across the universe. What other franchise would you get that experience with?

Comment

Trial and Error did have action, it had space battles.

Comment

Yeah, I meant "Cloverdale". I mixed episode titles. That's a first!
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Egle01 View Post
                  Spoiler:
                  next week's "Malice".
                  Looks good to me.
                  I'd argue their is gate use in Awakening since they tried to dial. It personally doesn't bother me considering in the other series how many times their were episodes that didn't use the gate
                  Originally posted by aretood2
                  Jelgate is right

Comment

And they DID have gate use once it got unburied.... BUT i do.. several eps of 7 now have had little gate use if any.

Comment

After a full season + 7 episodes, why are people still expecting this show to have gate use in more than about half the episodes?
                      I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

Next episode you will have your Stargate usage, which apparently is all the OP needs to be happy.
                        sigpic
                        Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

I dont want to start counting the Stargate episodes and comparing them to SG-1 and SGA, but it does get a bit boring staying aboard Destiny and exploring derelict spaceships. Cloverdale's focus wasn't on the planet, but was in a small-town in Scott's mind. I am excited for the next episode because its nice to have a change of scenery and to use the name-sake Stargate, and see something new for a change

Comment

Originally posted by James71 View Post
                            Has anyone noticed that we have a lot of episodes with absolutely zero Stargate action?
                            You mean just like SG-1 and Atlantis in the later seasons?

Comment

Originally posted by James71 View Post

Trial and Error had nothing to do with the Stargate. Now the same with The Greater Good.
                              The same can be said about Awakening and Pathogen.

So out of 7 episodes so far this season, 4 of them had zero Stargate action in them.

Don't get me wrong, I like SGU. But they seem to be drifting too far away from their roots. SGA and SG1 had the occasional episode with no Stargate action. But I doubt they ever went over 50% of the episodes like SGU is doing.
                              In terms of SGA and SG1, SGU is a constant bottle show episode.

With some real actions and explorations of original settings and situation happening just every now and then.

When it happens it's often not even the focus of the episode. We could say for example, "it could have happened on any planets" "it could have happened on any spaceships or even aboard the Destiny", etc.

What I liked SG1 and SGA was the different settings and situation the Stargate galaxy exploration permitted. Leading to a very nice diversity of plots. While in bottle show episodes, it's seems always like the same with preoccupation over trivial character conflicts and interactions. While in crime show we always wonder what will be the crime this week. What type of people it will involve. In SG1, I was always wondering what great original adventures we would find on the other side of the Stargate. This was my main motivation/anticipation before watching an episode.

An episode like the greater good is comparable to using the Stargate to explore some derelict spaceships. The only difference with this episode and typical SG1 and SGA episodes is that the derelict gates seeder aliens spaceships plot was sidelined for the discovery Rush deception and the Destiny's bridge. We almost forgot they were there in the first place so salvage somethings. Telford wasn't even mentioned once even if he's possibly prisoner of those seeder ship aliens and it was one of their ship. But it was a good episode imo.
                              Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

Working...
                              X