This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Mission

Rush- ...About it's mission. it's far more important than we ever thought.

Young- Well ok let's hear it.

Rush- Are you familiar with the cosmic microwave background radiation?

Young- Noise left over from the big bang.

Rush- A long time ago, the Ancients made a discovery. they found evidence of a
    structure. Buried deep within the background radiation. They believed at one time this structure had genuine complexity. coherence. Therefore could not have occurred naturally.

Young- How is that even possible?

Rush- it's not. at least not according to our current understanding of physics. Nor can we even see this structure with our technology.

Young- OK so what are we talking about? some kind of code? a message?

Rush- A message perhaps. Or a sign of intelligence. From the beginning of time.

Young- Sent by..?

Rush- Well that's the very question they sought to answer when they launched Destiny. That is the mission. We're talking about a mystery rooted in the foundation of reality. A puzzle. with pieces scattered across the length and breadth of the universe itself.

Rush- Once I'd broken the code I had access to the ships complete archive. There are thousands of pages devoted to this. Scientific research, philosophical debate.

Rush- We're talking about a level of order present at the very beginning of space-time that goes beyond anything we've ever conceived. I believe that the more we learn, the more pieces Destiny uncovers, then the greater our power to control everything around us will be.

Rush- Yes Colonel, it is about power. To control our fate. right our wrongs....To gain greater understanding.

So...Here's what I got from that. A long time ago, millions upon millions of years ago, the Ancients discovered a structure, a level of organization within the background radiation leftover from the big bang. Destiny is some sort of scientific instrument, for gathering information and collecting data, or something like that. But that doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I still like to think Destiny is going somewhere, not just flying around scanning and analyzing.

Am I right or wrong? I don't know. What do you all make of this? Apparently understanding this code, manipulating it or something, you can change the things around you. Play god, maybe.

When Rush said " I believe that the more we learn, the more pieces Destiny uncovers, then the greater our power to control everything around us will be." It made me think that it might have something to do with the Lucian Alliance 'alleged' attack on Earth. Maybe they'll learn something that can help them? meh...

Let's get it on!

the debate, that is.
    We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, through argument and debate, but, most of all, freedom of will.
    —Alteran Woman

"It annoys me that the burden of proof is on us. It should be 'You came up with the idea, why do you believe it?' I could tell you I've got superpowers, but I can't go up to people saying 'Prove I can't fly' They'd say "What do you mean 'prove you can't fly?' Prove you can!"
    —Ricky Gervais

Flying around and analyzing actualy make sense. Flying somewhere in the universe doesn't.

Comment

Agreed. Where could they possibly be going? You know?

Comment

Also in the trailer for the next episode I heard Young say
        Spoiler:
        "He killed Ginn"

Uhm

WHAT THE F**K.

NO.

DISAGREE.

this is the arguably the worst thing to happen since...well I can't think of anything at the moment to compare this to.

I don't like this.
        Last edited by Skydiver; 10 November 2010, 02:27 AM.
        We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, through argument and debate, but, most of all, freedom of will.
        —Alteran Woman

"It annoys me that the burden of proof is on us. It should be 'You came up with the idea, why do you believe it?' I could tell you I've got superpowers, but I can't go up to people saying 'Prove I can't fly' They'd say "What do you mean 'prove you can't fly?' Prove you can!"
        —Ricky Gervais

Comment

Originally posted by Nikec3 View Post
          Flying around and analyzing actualy make sense. Flying somewhere in the universe doesn't.
          Yes, I've been tossing that around in my head. I like the scanning one better....
          —Alteran Woman

—Ricky Gervais

Comment

I still like to think Destiny is going somewhere, not just flying around scanning and analyzing.
            Yes, Destiny is going somewhere, The Center of the Universe, where the Big Bang Originated...... flying around scanning/analyzing has very little to do with it, except maybe pin-point the origin

Apparently understanding this code, manipulating it or something, you can change the things around you. Play god, maybe.
            I think this has been hinted at before on the show and discussed in other threads......
            sigpic

Destiny: Coming To a Universe Near You......

Comment

This doesn't make sense to why the seeder ships exist then. Why put gates on planets? Why put gates on planets that are not "connected' in a big network either so you can't gate from one side of the planet to the other?

Alot of this mission makes the rest of what we know about destiny make no sense.

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by timmciglobal View Post
                This doesn't make sense to why the seeder ships exist then. Why put gates on planets? Why put gates on planets that are not "connected' in a big network either so you can't gate from one side of the planet to the other?

Alot of this mission makes the rest of what we know about destiny make no sense.

Tim

Because when you're out there floating in space on a ship, you run out of resources. You need to be able to conveniently get to planets to get supplies. Food. Water. Things like that.

Also, they had the opportunity to distribute gates to planets and explore them, they took it. Wouldn't you?
                —Alteran Woman

—Ricky Gervais

Comment

Originally posted by BRiDGELiFE View Post
                  Yes, Destiny is going somewhere, The Center of the Universe, where the Big Bang Originated...... flying around scanning/analyzing has very little to do with it, except maybe pin-point the origin

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic, but I'm fairly certain you're wrong either way.

lying around scanning/analyzing has very little to do with it
                  disagree.

The Center of the Universe, where the Big Bang Originated
                  I'm fairly certain that has been discussed in other threads.

I think this has been hinted at before on the show and discussed in other threads......
                  I haven't seen any. linkz plox?

also, why the bold?
                  —Alteran Woman

—Ricky Gervais

Comment

Bold was just to know i was talking (idk why lol), anyway to timciglobal, maybe the Seeder Ships and Destiny have nothing to do with each other, maybe the seeder ship was simply in Destiny's path, plus i think there was prob more then just 1 seeder ship sent out, i mean the universe goes in every direction not just in the path the the seeder ship took (would be kinda pointless to only get on vire of the Universe)
                    sigpic

Destiny: Coming To a Universe Near You......

Comment

Bold was just to know i was talking (idk why lol), anyway to timciglobal, maybe the Seeder Ships and Destiny have nothing to do with each other, maybe the seeder ship was simply in Destiny's path, plus i think there was prob more then just 1 seeder ship sent out, i mean the universe goes in every direction not just in the path the the seeder ship took (would be kinda pointless to only get on vire of the Universe)

Well if the misison is to collecting and analyzing the signal , then the other Seeder ship is also collecting and analyzing the signal.

Like when the seeder ship dock with Destiny, it downlod the data into Destiny's computer.

If signal deccy over time and space, but it has a structure.
                      Then if the other seeder ship collect the same piece of signal and compare it, then the computer can find what if common ,and restore it.
                      As more and more peice are put together , the puzzle fit together.

The message could be anything , like the name of the God.

But would it be worth it to go to the center or the edge of Univer just to find out the name of God.

Comment

There is no centre of the universe, the big bang didn't originate from a single point, it happened everywhere. I suspect this thread will now descend into tedium while people continually have this explained to them.

Comment

That's not quite true, because even if the universe is expanding in every direction at every point there is a point which was the center of that original "universe" and as such is the center of the universe. If that has any logical value is not necessarily true since it's like saying what's the center of the ocean, when it means very little and has no bearing unless you define "one coast' as one edge and another coast as other edge.

Tim

Comment

XX
                            XX

expanded to

XXXX
                            XXXX
                            XXXX
                            XXXX

expanded to

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
                            XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
                            XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
                            XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
                            XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
                            XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
                            XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
                            XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
                            XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
                            XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
                            XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
                            XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
                            XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
                            XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
                            XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
                            XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

There is still a "center" to that mass, even though that "center point" now has expanded to billions of lightyears across so what value the "Center."

Tim

Comment

False. Space is curved. Trying to find the centre of the universe would be like trying to find the centre of the outside of a balloon. It's impossible. It can't have a centre, because it has no edge.

Comment

Working...
                              X