No announcement yet.

Supernatural Fanfic Nitpics and Pet Peeves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really, no need to panic. I took this as a 'guide' and wrote a fanfic or two and haven't been lynched yet. Of course, maybe it's because some of the nitpicks don't apply to me, like I don't do crossovers (I'm like Monk and his food; my fandoms shouldn't touch), I don't do Wincest (seriously? brothers!? squick doesn't even begin to describe it), and, well, google is a writers best friend for everything else. Seriously, put it out there, we need more SPN fic.
    sigpic
    Respect the delicate ecology of your delusions.
    --Angels in America

Comment

Sigh...

It seems that, lately, whenever I venture over to ff.net every other fic is Destial or Sabrial. WTH? Does nobody write genfics anymore? Drives me UP THE WALL.

And, please, m&m, don't let this thread scare you away from writing SPN fic. I only started it because I needed a place to gripe about whatever I griped about in the first post. Use it as a guide, like sis does. and she's right, we need more SPN fics!
      sigpic
      Sig by ME.

Comment

Originally posted by birthsister View Post
        Really, no need to panic. I took this as a 'guide' and wrote a fanfic or two and haven't been lynched yet. Of course, maybe it's because some of the nitpicks don't apply to me, like I don't do crossovers (I'm like Monk and his food; my fandoms shouldn't touch), I don't do Wincest (seriously? brothers!? squick doesn't even begin to describe it), and, well, google is a writers best friend for everything else. Seriously, put it out there, we need more SPN fic.
        I do crossovers but it's a very special circumstance and I actually cannot see a valid reason for doing it in this fandom. I'm with you on Wincest! I don't understand the appeal at all; but! I'm not going to bash those that do either.. I don't mind slahs it's just I don't see it in SPN which is why I'm not opposed to OC's because you gotta have someone other than Sam givin' Dean some comfort when you whump him.

Originally posted by RodneyIsGodney View Post
        Sigh...

It seems that, lately, whenever I venture over to ff.net every other fic is Destial or Sabrial. WTH? Does nobody write genfics anymore? Drives me UP THE WALL.

And, please, m&m, don't let this thread scare you away from writing SPN fic. I only started it because I needed a place to gripe about whatever I griped about in the first post. Use it as a guide, like sis does. and she's right, we need more SPN fics!
        Yeah, I don't get the angel/human slash thing.. I'm also not a fan of teenchesters.. I like the adult versions better... Basically, I try to stay away from: anything pre-pilot, Wincest, Destiel, and torture.. I like to whump Dean but I like to keep it light and not life threatening which is hard to find in this fandom, lol..

Thanks RIG, I plan on using it as a guide, I'm just trying to figure out how. So...is this thread only for pet peeves or are we allowed to brainstorm too?

sigpic
        Coming January 2017

Comment

Originally posted by m&mnm317 View Post
          Yeah, I don't get the angel/human slash thing.. I'm also not a fan of teenchesters.. I like the adult versions better... Basically, I try to stay away from: anything pre-pilot, Wincest, Destiel, and torture.. I like to whump Dean but I like to keep it light and not life threatening which is hard to find in this fandom, lol..
          I'm actually liking teenchesters more and more these days. Though I picture Jensen as teenDean as Brock (Kelly) does nothing for me.

Thanks RIG, I plan on using it as a guide, I'm just trying to figure out how. So...is this thread only for pet peeves or are we allowed to brainstorm too?
          Uhm...I'd kinda like this thread to stay a pet peeves only thread if that's okay. Sorry. I can start a brainstorming thread if you like. Call it something like "SPN Fanfic Brainstorming" or "SPN Fanfic Help and Brainstorming" or whatever you'd like to call it. If you have a better title/name that's cool.
          sigpic
          Sig by ME.

Comment

I'm actually liking teenchesters more and more these days. Though I picture Jensen as teenDean as Brock (Kelly) does nothing for me.

Uhm...I'd kinda like this thread to stay a pet peeves only thread if that's okay. Sorry. I can start a brainstorming thread if you like. Call it something like "SPN Fanfic Brainstorming" or "SPN Fanfic Help and Brainstorming" or whatever you'd like to call it. If you have a better title/name that's cool.
            Not a problem I'll start the new thread since it was kinda my idea Titles... Hm..let see..

sigpic
            Coming January 2017

Comment

Okay. Good.
              sigpic
              Sig by ME.

Comment

You know what I think is my biggest pet peeve about fics??

OOC-ness... I'm sure I'm more than guilty of it but it's when it's so blatantly obvious that the character is OOC that it really begins to bug the crap out of me.

sigpic
                Coming January 2017

Comment

Yeah, same here. The more obvious the OOC the worse it is.
                  sigpic
                  Sig by ME.

Comment

Yeah, same here. The more obvious the OOC the worse it is.
                    Yeah which sucks because I'm trying to write a fic and I cannot seem to get him IC.. Well, not as IC as some; however, he's better than others. Granted, those are the ones that have him crying openly but still, baby steps. lol

Also! *slight rant coming!* Why is it so hard to find a fic where Dean (or Sam) AREN'T gravely injured? Or where an injury is slight at first but turns into something worse? I mean, what's wrong with having a fic where Dean's just hurt and needs to rest? Like, because he physically cannot "work".. Is that too boring or something?? I think I've read one fic like that and it's called "Rush". But even still there was a case going on and stuff.. *sighs* Okay, rant's over

sigpic
                    Coming January 2017

Comment

I don't know if it's quite what you're looking for, but I have an NC 17 Dean Jo fic over at Archive of Our Own and ff.net (I tweaked a little tiny bit more before AOOO so it's a wee bit more complete) that has a scene it where they're kind of comparing injuries and scars...would something like that do ya for now?
                      sigpic
                      --Angels in America

Comment

I agree with everything you said m&m.
                        sigpic
                        Sig by ME.

Comment

I don't know if it's quite what you're looking for, but I have an NC 17 Dean Jo fic over at Archive of Our Own and ff.net (I tweaked a little tiny bit more before AOOO so it's a wee bit more complete) that has a scene it where they're kind of comparing injuries and scars...would something like that do ya for now?
                          Maybe?? I dunno.. I could always give it a read though.

sigpic
                          Coming January 2017

Comment

It's called The Spaces Between, if you decide to give it a whirl....
                            sigpic
                            --Angels in America

Comment

It's called The Spaces Between, if you decide to give it a whirl....
                              Read it, reviewed it. I'm pisces317 on FF

sigpic
                              Coming January 2017

Comment

Another nitpic I have is when a story is not structured properly. I have encountered many a fic where it's just one long paragraph. Or a bunch of thick paragraphs where the dialogue from both boys is all mashed together. You would think that these people must read fics so they'd know how to structure their own, right?

As soon as I encounter one such fic I have to walk away from it, no matter how much I like/love the type of story it is, the idea.
                                sigpic
                                Sig by ME.

Comment

Working...
                                X