X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess the mission is why SPOILERS FOR ''RESURGENCE'' BELOW:

Spoiler:

Camile goes to visit Sharon on Earth, to tell her about the mission. And the same goes for Eli

But that's a discusion for the ''RESURGENCE'' thread. The episode airs here tonight on Sky1, but I have waited since the beginning of the Season for this one so just had to see it! Loved it.

Comment

Originally posted by Artemis-Neith View Post
      I do nothing else but put some things together we got so far, try make some sense of it, as you do. What did we get so far?

Once upon the time the Ancients launched a ship: Destiny, build for a crew of some kind, send out into space a very long time ago. In front of that ship seed ships were sent. As we've seen in Air II (iirc) both ship types follow a straight course through the universe probably somewhere to a far region of the universe, we not know yet. That's so far all we get to know about the 9th chevron mystery, left on a data base of Atlantis, long ago, by said Ancients.

Now, after the master code of the ship is broken, we learn that Destiny had a mission, and that that mission has something to do with some "Structure in the background radiation" the Ancients found at some point of their history. This discovery was important enough to start the mission the ship is still on, after million(s) of years. As far as we know yet, the Ancients didn't end the mission during their life period, and for whatever reason, they didn't stop the ship(s), after their ascension. At that point of the story we don't know, whether it was not longer of interest for them, or the other way around, it was so important, that they want to share that knowledge with their descendants.

But what I truly believe in, is that the writers of the story want us to bring somewhere, and make sense to all of this. For that I'm curious enough to see where we'll go in the future, and I hope to see at the end of season 5 the ultimate conclusion of Destiny's mission, and the destiny of their new crew as well.
      The problem with your summary, so far, is that Rush stated what the Destiny mission is. I don't trust him or believe him. If Eli said it, there wouldn't be any doubt. However, Rush being the source, I have to examine the veracity of the truth.

So, examining the 'mission', let's see, the Ancients sent out Destiny and several seeder ships ahead of Destiny, million+ years ago.

If the purpose was just to place Stargates on every planet, then the Anvients would have sent hundreds of seeder ships instead of a few. So, this theory doesn't work.

If the purpose was to investigate the cosmic background noise? then, why send the seeder ships ahead of Destiny?

Particularly troubling is the fact that Destiny has been on it's journey million+ years.
      That is a loooooong time.

And there is no indication that the journey is near the end or that there is an end at all.

And the Ancients were supposed to come to Destiny thousands of years ago. Did they mean to live on Destiny for thousands of years?

These are perplexing questions that Rush' explanation of Destiny Mission doesn't quite fit.

Comment

1. We now know Destiny's mission, and yet the fact is that Rush still doesn't get that the crew Destiny has is way out of it's depth already.

2. I do like that Rush is trusting/respecting Young at least though.

3. Math boy...oops and yet...it was great to see Eli pretty much outsmart Rush.

4. Ginn...no...

Finally we're kicking into high gear!
        I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt G View Post
          1. We now know Destiny's mission, and yet the fact is that Rush still doesn't get that the crew Destiny has is way out of it's depth already.
          It's not like he can get a competent crew under the circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by Misfits View Post
            Uh..oh..
            I just found a boooo...boo.
            When Eli rewinds the Rush Kino video to Dr. Perry, as Eli plays back from the point of Rush telling Dr. Perry about the algorithms,

If Eli was playing back Kino recording, why is Dr. Perry's voice in the recording?
            And shouldn't it have been Ginn's voice? I know for the viewing audience we hear the actual person we are seeing but I think it would've been cool to hear the body's voice.
            Last edited by Angela V; 16 November 2010, 09:39 PM. Reason: spelling
            Orphan Black: Join the Clone Club Dance Party!

Comment

Well not only did I get my enjoyment of Stargate back with SGU, but now I have got excitement back. I haven't been this excited to see the next ep since SG-1

It did start of a little on the boring side but as the ep went on the better it got. Rush finally got what was coming to him But I am glad that Young and Rush are talking about it now, maybe they can slowly start to try and trust each other. IMO the best eps all seem to be the eps where we don't got to Earth through the stones We don't need to see Earth every time they use the stones. Season 1 was a bit of a hit and miss at times, season 2 is IMO a big hit the only one little blip. I hope this show can pick up as the season goes on cause IMO it could be a great show if given a chance. I for one am glad I decided to give it a second chance

Oh and that LA guy better not hurt Ginn Or he'll have a very angry Scot after him Or even better, let Greer deal with him
              sigpic

Comment

Well, I love this episode.

I keep hating Rush and this episode made me remember the last time that Rush and Young where alone on that plannet and fighting with each other. And I just hate that if he had the chance he would keep the secret about Destiny, I don't trust that what he said to Young about "working together" may be true, it's Rush he does what is best for him, he doesn't think about others.

I really like this "mission" that Rush tells about Destiny, that was amazing, I hope he's telling the true this time
                sigpic
                Knowledge is power, but how do you use that power defines whether you are good or evil

Comment

Originally posted by morbosfist View Post
                  It's not like he can get a competent crew under the circumstances.
                  Then find a way to get them back to Earth and pick up a more competant crew from there!
                  I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Then find a way to get them back to Earth and pick up a more competant crew from there!
                    If they get to Earth, they aren't getting back. It's really a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" scenario.

Comment

Unless they want to blow up another planet to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by morbosfist View Post
                        If they get to Earth, they aren't getting back. It's really a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" scenario.
                        Then write it off for a couple of centuries. OK, Rush will be bummed but hey, he;s discovered the message exists so he'll have a degree of immortality that way! Missions to find the secrets of the universe need to be better planned than this!
                        I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Then write it off for a couple of centuries. OK, Rush will be bummed but hey, he;s discovered the message exists so he'll have a degree of immortality that way! Missions to find the secrets of the universe need to be better planned than this!
                          Eh, you can't plan for the unknown. Granted, you can be better prepared for the unknown, but we're past that. Make due with what you got and press ahead!

Comment

Source: Discovery.com [follow link for complete article]

Cosmic Rebirth Encoded in Background Radiation?

... They say that fact is often stranger than fiction, and it would appear that fact and a science fiction storyline have just collided in a big way.

Scientists analyzing the ubiquitous cosmic microwave background radiation (CMBR) observed throughout the Universe have claimed they've discovered a pattern in its signal.

And having watched a recent episode of Stargate Universe (SGU) -- an awesome sci-fi series, and one of my favorites -- a storyline involving a pattern in the CMBR has just aired. Although the SGU CMBR pattern has a very different origin to what this most recent discovery is suggesting, it is a testament to how awesome accurate science fiction writing can be...
                            Blog Twitter

Comment

Interesting...

Comment

It took a while for me to warm to SGU, and I still can't watch most all of Season 1 and Season 2 episodes without going off and doing something else or scrubbing my timeline slider button to get to (what I consider to be) all the good parts.

But when I saw Greater Good for the first time last night I was hooked.

This particular episode appears to mark some sort of turning point. Like a barrel of water that had been teetering on an edge for some time finally spilled. I imagine it'll be filled up again as we reach the next plot plateau.

...Also I'm glad Robert Knepper's Character is dead. This guy plays characters I want to see die, die die die die die ...
                                even Samuel on Heroes die die die die die die.... damit he is good at playing disgusting people.
                                Last edited by ted leski; 30 November 2010, 03:14 PM.
                                "I'm a writer dammit and I am not gonna take no for an answer"
                                D.I.

Comment

Working...
                                X