Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 714151617 18 LastLast

Thread: 'The Greater Good' (207) General Discussion

Default Re: 'The Greater Good' (207) General Discussion

Well not only did I get my enjoyment of Stargate back with SGU, but now I have got excitement back. I haven't been this excited to see the next ep since SG-1

It did start of a little on the boring side but as the ep went on the better it got. Rush finally got what was coming to him But I am glad that Young and Rush are talking about it now, maybe they can slowly start to try and trust each other. IMO the best eps all seem to be the eps where we don't got to Earth through the stones We don't need to see Earth every time they use the stones. Season 1 was a bit of a hit and miss at times, season 2 is IMO a big hit the only one little blip. I hope this show can pick up as the season goes on cause IMO it could be a great show if given a chance. I for one am glad I decided to give it a second chance

Oh and that LA guy better not hurt Ginn Or he'll have a very angry Scot after him Or even better, let Greer deal with him

Well, I love this episode.

I keep hating Rush and this episode made me remember the last time that Rush and Young where alone on that plannet and fighting with each other. And I just hate that if he had the chance he would keep the secret about Destiny, I don't trust that what he said to Young about "working together" may be true, it's Rush he does what is best for him, he doesn't think about others.

I really like this "mission" that Rush tells about Destiny, that was amazing, I hope he's telling the true this time

Knowledge is power, but how do you use that power defines whether you are good or evil

Quote Originally Posted by morbosfist View Post
    It's not like he can get a competent crew under the circumstances.
    Then find a way to get them back to Earth and pick up a more competant crew from there!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt G View Post
    Then find a way to get them back to Earth and pick up a more competant crew from there!
    If they get to Earth, they aren't getting back. It's really a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" scenario.

Brigadier General

Unless they want to blow up another planet to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by morbosfist View Post
    If they get to Earth, they aren't getting back. It's really a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" scenario.
    Then write it off for a couple of centuries. OK, Rush will be bummed but hey, he;s discovered the message exists so he'll have a degree of immortality that way! Missions to find the secrets of the universe need to be better planned than this!

Then write it off for a couple of centuries. OK, Rush will be bummed but hey, he;s discovered the message exists so he'll have a degree of immortality that way! Missions to find the secrets of the universe need to be better planned than this!
    Eh, you can't plan for the unknown. Granted, you can be better prepared for the unknown, but we're past that. Make due with what you got and press ahead!

Source: Discovery.com [follow link for complete article]

Cosmic Rebirth Encoded in Background Radiation?

... They say that fact is often stranger than fiction, and it would appear that fact and a science fiction storyline have just collided in a big way.

Scientists analyzing the ubiquitous cosmic microwave background radiation (CMBR) observed throughout the Universe have claimed they've discovered a pattern in its signal.

And having watched a recent episode of Stargate Universe (SGU) -- an awesome sci-fi series, and one of my favorites -- a storyline involving a pattern in the CMBR has just aired. Although the SGU CMBR pattern has a very different origin to what this most recent discovery is suggesting, it is a testament to how awesome accurate science fiction writing can be...

Brigadier General

Interesting...

It took a while for me to warm to SGU, and I still can't watch most all of Season 1 and Season 2 episodes without going off and doing something else or scrubbing my timeline slider button to get to (what I consider to be) all the good parts.

But when I saw Greater Good for the first time last night I was hooked.

This particular episode appears to mark some sort of turning point. Like a barrel of water that had been teetering on an edge for some time finally spilled. I imagine it'll be filled up again as we reach the next plot plateau.

...Also I'm glad Robert Knepper's Character is dead. This guy plays characters I want to see die, die die die die die ...
    even Samuel on Heroes die die die die die die.... damit he is good at playing disgusting people.
    Last edited by ted leski; November 30th, 2010 at 03:14 PM.

This is interesting - a podcast about the cosmic radiation plot element:

SGU - 365 Days of Astronomy - SGU & the Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation Podcast http://tinyurl.com/4p8c8jx

Podcast written by Diane Turnshek at Carnegie Mellon University. Very positive for SGU! Also, a transcript of the podcast is at the link.

Exploring space and time with the 9th doctor

Cool episode! Great to see Mandy back again. I do hope Simeon gets airlocked soon! He mustn't hurt Ginn. Must have been weird for Eli to see "Ginn" kissing Rush, though. Still, I'm glad that the bridge finally got revealed. Rush had hidden it long enough. The truth will out.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v106/manephelien/avatars/deadtribbles.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by maneth View Post
    Cool episode! Great to see Mandy back again. I do hope Simeon gets airlocked soon! He mustn't hurt Ginn. Must have been weird for Eli to see "Ginn" kissing Rush, though. Still, I'm glad that the bridge finally got revealed. Rush had hidden it long enough. The truth will out.
    Rush was cruising for that bruising! I love it when those boys fight.

I'd like Rush to get the better of Young in a fight for once though...

I suspect Young's better trained...

I suspect Young's better trained...
    Yeah, and he's got at least 30lbs. on Rush. No way Rush could win unless he uses a weapon. He tried with the kino, though.

It's a matter of training, Rush would need to know some martial arts to have any chance of beating Young.

Brigadier General

Not really. watch UFC.. There are many times a lucky hit can turn the fight from being in the favor of the best warrior to the other side.

DVDs Re: 'The Greater Good' (206) General Discussion

Another Great episode.

It's nice to know that the rift between Young and Rush is basically over. And we now know more about what Destiny's mission is.

Oh know, what's gonna happen to Perry/Ginn.

Tomorrow, Rush is pissed and is looking for revenge.

Captain Zombies Rise from the Sea's Avatar

Finally. The moment where Season 2 gets somewhere.

This contains the introduction of what would be known as "The Mission", a message in the background radiation. This one thing elevates it to greatness sorely because it gives the show purpose; it puts into perspective the people who have been brought onto here, each with their respective skillets, each with their respective purpose and it puts an interesting twist behind it, it makes it into more of a character study than season 1 ever was. These people are forced together in a room with issues, disagreements, a desire to get home and they're faced with the urge to work together, to put together all issues and work for the greater good. It's sort of like a common understanding and a possible choice, should we work together to fulfill the mission or is the desire of home too great to pass up. This should of been introduced in Season 1, then people might stick around rather than having to suffer the overly edgy, mostly soapy and even somewhat overdramatic episodes. This is a character drama after all and I feel like "Life" and "Human" showed the characters, everything else was just forced situations that barely showed the true side of them.

But the Mission isn't the only thing that elevates it to greatness. The chemistry between Young and Rush is exceptional as in they're fighting but there's an odd feeling that they're trying to serve both sides; it is that which makes it compelling and more so than the Young v. Rush stuff in Season 1 which I detested because it was so generic and forced, better yet the fight they have is better because they have a reason for it, they're more aggressive about it and there isn't any generic dialog. It was more natural and because of that, more entertaining. They're finally butting heads in a reasonable way. Plus the reveal of the control room is by far one of the greatest moment in SGU history. The shock of them seeing it for the first time, the anger they have towards Rush for hiding it; plus Eli delivers one great line which is "You've had control of this ship the entire time and you didn't tell anyone?" A true show of anger. Seeing Rush stripped, naked, void of any trust he may have had is mindblowing and it's definitely a gamechanger for him. It's just a shame Rush's line had to be repeated during the opening of the second half of Season 2, lessened the initial impact that it had.

Plus there's also the adventure and uncertainty of it all. I'm sure your inner SG-1 is just geeking out based on what you're seeing and there's also the return of Dr. Amanda Perry who is universally known as the best guest star of Season 1; the ability to bring out the best in both of them hasn't lost a spark and the initial attempt to keep it under wraps was somewhat good. There are major flaws holding it back; much of the first act felt like an average episode of SGU and it threatened to loose me, I was hoping that there would be something that would pick up my interest, something and it did during the second half but the fact that there's something to drive the people away. Well... Plus many of the characters weren't able to step up to the plate; this is such a momentous occasion and yet Young, Eli and Rush were the ones to competently step up to the plate. Nobody managed to make it feel as if they were shocked and barely anybody had impact when the moment required it; it really left many moments feeling flat and if it weren't for several people stepping up than it would of been a disappointment. Luckily, that didn't happen but the fact that those flaws existed really effected it. Still a good episode though.