Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loved this ep! I do hope we'll see more of Ginn/Eli, he deserves so much better than Chloe.
    sigpic

Comment

Not a bad ep.

Young's wife wanting a divorce. He's probably lucky it didn't happen earlier.

Ginn and Eli sitting in the tree. k.i.s.s.i.n.g.

Chloe's skin starting to turn blue. Cool.

That first space battle with the blues looked amazing. Even if it wasn't real.

Destiny being able to sense that something was wrong with Young. And to be able to test him like that. That's just scary.
      sigpic

Comment

Great episode

Notes:
        • How exactly did Eli get those print outs? I don't think they brought laser printers (specifically color ones) with them.
        • Have I mentioned how cool the Alien hyperdrive effect is.
        • So Destiny was the reason Young was going nuts.
        • Mmm, Ginn

Tomorrow, the final showdown between Young and Rush.
        sigpic

Comment

Young was amazing in this episode. Much of the appeal of this one for me was to see him in action, more importantly a situation of doubt; you could just see the flaws as he was trying to keep it together, make rational decisions while also not scumbing to hitting a wall or drinking heavily. His dialogs with the crew about what he saw was just filled with uncertainty and second guessing and the downfall that he faces transcends reality; it's a masterpiece of acting for the Young character.

However, much of it is bogged down in the "is he capable to lead" usuality and that really dilutes much of the story. The thoughts that surround him don't lend themselves to much though and while it is done a bit differently, it's still a command issue; one with a different coat of paint. Speaking of which, the VR simulation that Young goes through is a bit unique in that it's both sci-fi and a test of wills for Young. You have; people dieing, explosions, shields failing and the same result every time. It's like a nightmare, a situation that has no-win. Admittingly I wasn't a fan of it, it didn't grab me like it was supposed to; while it was a decent environment for the character, it felt a bit overdone in it's actions and seeing our characters die repeatedly fell flat.

I see Ginn is introduced here and Eli and her are almost hitting it off. She was an interesting character mainly for the possible enemy combatant thing, that and the fact that she was cute; there was just something that drew you in and made you think about her and admittingly it's a better match than Eli and Chloe but I am a bit saddened that the prior relationship didn't get mentioned at all; it was like this was his first time dating. Nonetheless a spark is made and this spark would prove to show the improvements that Season 2 had in store. I originally claimed that Scott rised to prominence in this, I was wrong. While he did show improvements, he mostly clung onto Chloe utilizing her in sort of a romance way and he was made to be different than before, removing any trace of his son and making him into a harder edged person. Being essential is one thing (to the point where he convinces Young to lead again) but to change an entire character to be essential is another. I'm all for growth but I'm also all for integrity as well.

Lastly. I thought it was somewhat hilarious that Rush was the one who made the jump; I could just hear him thinking. "HaHa, you may have thought it was Destiny but I am controlling the ship! Me, Rush!" There's another thing in that he ironically provided the crew with the confidence and acceptance that they needed; he'll be in for a shock when he discovers that he basically convinced the ship that Young was their leader.
          Back from the grave.

Comment

Lastly. I thought it was somewhat hilarious that Rush was the one who made the jump; I could just hear him thinking. "HaHa, you may have thought it was Destiny but I am controlling the ship! Me, Rush!" There's another thing in that he ironically provided the crew with the confidence and acceptance that they needed; he'll be in for a shock when he discovers that he basically convinced the ship that Young was their leader.
            Being he only turned off the interface so the ship could jump, i don't see it as the Ship was convinced Young was the man..

Comment

He never convinced the ship that Young was the right leader, but ironically he did convince the crew that he was.

Comment

Midweek, another ep of SGU...

1. Young's flashbacks were a bit car crash this time round.

2. The father reference...ouch.

3. Aha...this is where Eli and Ginn started up.

4. Oh yeah...ironic that Rush has probably delivered the crew's loyalty to Young.

The next ep is interesting...
                I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Another favourite of the series, mainly because it centers around my favourite character. The way the poor man got to this point was so well done. This is what SGU is about, watching how one event after another wears down any person over a period of time. This is why it was so fascinating to watch the change in Young, right from the beginning, a self doubting individual who opted out of the command of the Ninth Chevron mission, but ending up leading it whether he wanted to or not!

Great idea about the ship throwing him into a simulation, taking him to the point of a breakdown with an unwinnable scenario, he really did look haggard and worn out, well acted by LF. How does he get back from this final hit, on top of his guilt and sense of failure? Scott believes in him, and I can't help feeling that Young was still not quite finished, he couldn't give up completely, shown by the fact that Scott's words still hit home. A great moment between the two of them, Scott showing what he was made of, a future leader, since he could recognise a good commander that he respected and could learn from.

Love the continuing menacing presence of Simeon over the course of the last few episodes. Another clever lead up to more trouble. The weird thing is that I'd never really noticed this until this rewatch!

I thought that was funny that Rush ending the program and getting Destiny going again had the opposite effect. Did he do it because he didn't like the idea that Destiny had assessed all available data and concluded that Young would eventually step up and was just waiting. Or was it to put an end to it and be the one to say that he had to intervene to stop wasting time assessing a man who wasn't worth it. Anyway, I loved the quizzical yet relieved looks when Young turned up again looking 'commanding' once again.

Rush, never to waste any opportunity to aid his obsession with solving Destiny's secret finds Chloe very useful for equation solving. At least the poor girl has something to do, I sort of feel sorry for her being locked away through no fault of her own.

Comment

How can it not be her own fault? Had she not stupidly approached the opening in the hull back in Ep 11, she would have not been taken and therefore not been changed...

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                      How can it not be her own fault? Had she not stupidly approached the opening in the hull back in Ep 11, she would have not been taken and therefore not been changed...
                      Hindsight is 20/20. It sure seems stupid now. If she hadn't been captured and thrawted a Blues invasion it wouldn't have looked stupid
                      Originally posted by aretood2
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

This episode is interesting because I like how it explored Young. Specfically the Destiny simulation showed just how much a broken man. Given the hardships of Destiny and Rush it is not surprising that Young is broken. That would be enough to break most people. The simulation on its own is fun to watch. Destiny is even awesome to watch being blown up so many times. It is unfortunate that Scott punching Young was part of the simulation as they could have been an awesome character arc to explore. On the other hand it was awesome seeing Scott being the one to break Young out of his depression. Which makes me hate Rush even more because I would have liked to see Destiny acknowledge Young as the leader of Destiny instead of Rush overriding the program. On the second other hand I like how this epsiode confirms what we already suspected. Destiny is no ordinary ship. It has a mind of it own on how it operates. Its mind blowing considering what Destiny is capable of because the ship is semi-intelligent
                        Originally posted by aretood2
                        Jelgate is right

Comment

This was great!! I have been watching the whole season two this weekend.

*I want Destiny as a smiley here*

I would have loved for Young to play out the simulation a lot more, before going on with the plot. But it was a cool ep,

It's a brilliant show... But...

Still I miss something that has always been a major part in the other stargate series. The simple exploration part: Going to new planets, meeting new aliens, searching for new tech and power, and just trying to survive.

I really miss to see a team going to a planet... Or Rush to go to a new part of the ship... In the first season it started out so great, with the Kino's, the remotes and the ancient stones. We should have had much more of that...

Comment

Originally posted by Cluas View Post
                            Still I miss something that has always been a major part in the other stargate series. The simple exploration part: Going to new planets, meeting new aliens, searching for new tech and power, and just trying to survive.
                            I suppose that was for budget reasons but yeah, I would much rather have seen more of that and less of the drone fights etc.
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X