Destiny and Seeder Ship Energy Capacity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Destiny and Seeder Ship Energy Capacity

A very interesting point that was brought up on another forum, namely, the immense capacity of the Destiny-class and Seeder-class energy capacitors. As was stated in previous eps, Destiny hasn't been at full power for a while. With its energy reserves boosted by a fully charged Seeder ship, it seems there is sufficient energy to easily establish a wormhole across the known universe, a feat which a zpm cannot perform and which a naquadriah cored planet can just about perform. Would this be another victory for legacy technology from the Ancients?

Hi

We have been discussing this topic over here, it might give you some ideas

http://forum.gateworld.net/threads/7...1#post11981070
    "So, what's your impression of Alar?"
    "That he is concealing something."
    "Like what?"
    "I am unsure. He is concealing it."

"Well, according to Einstein’s General Theory of Relativity, there’s nothing in the laws of physics to prevent it. Extremely difficult to achieve, mind you – you need the technology to manipulate black holes to create wormholes not only through points in space but time."
    "Not to mention a really nice DeLorean."
    "Don’t even get me started on that movie!"
    "I liked that movie!"

Comment

Question: Would you power your laptop with a nuclear reactor? Or power a city with a few mice running on wheels attached to generators?

ZPM's are portable, compact and supply a heap of energy, plus they have the added benefit of not having to take your outpost into the sun!

They are different technologies for different purposes.

Comment

Personally I'm actually hoping that the discrepancy is due more to cultural reasons than functional ones. Ancient thought and the technology it produced can not have always been unified. There should have been groups among them that thought and did things differently to such an extent that divergent philosophies on the use and development of technology must have been possible.

That is one of my greatest hopes for SGU, that they actually reveal something meaningful about Ancient society and culture. The design of Destiny may be one avenue to tell the that story.

From the purely technical standpoint of the thread question, it was somewhat questioning what design choice might justify such massive power reserves which plainly dwarf most energy production methods. Perhaps the ftl system it uses is more power hungry than the hyperdrives of the Milky Way. On the seeder ship side of things, the stargate manufacturing process probably draws huge amounts of power. Since each gate has to get its own powersource before being deposited, perhaps the seeder ship needs to be able to charge those sources as well.

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
          Question: Would you power your laptop with a nuclear reactor? Or power a city with a few mice running on wheels attached to generators?

ZPM's are portable, compact and supply a heap of energy, plus they have the added benefit of not having to take your outpost into the sun!

They are different technologies for different purposes.
          I complety agree with you, for Destiny-class ships nothing's better suitable than solar energy which is present everywhere in the galaxy.
          sigpic

Comment

Whilst I agree that the different power sources for different uses is a completely valid point, what about Atlantis? It's a ship, so is capable of moving to a star in order to recharge cells, and is obviously a lot "younger" than the Destiny class ships, yet it run's on ZPM power? Surely, having a solar powered city-ship would be more efficient and squander less resources than making a ZPM, especially if said city ship is likely to be docked (for lack of a better term) on a planet which, by necessity will be close to a star...

the men cheered, the women fainted, the children waved multicoloured flags !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by seishuuu View Post
              Whilst I agree that the different power sources for different uses is a completely valid point, what about Atlantis? It's a ship, so is capable of moving to a star in order to recharge cells, and is obviously a lot "younger" than the Destiny class ships, yet it run's on ZPM power? Surely, having a solar powered city-ship would be more efficient and squander less resources than making a ZPM, especially if said city ship is likely to be docked (for lack of a better term) on a planet which, by necessity will be close to a star...
              It would be inefficient (not to mention probably deadly) for Atlantis or any other city-ship to use a Destiny-style ram scoop.

First, Atlantis is not a starship. It's a city someone made to fly. It's only line of protection is that shield, which would been to be adjusted to allow the ram scoop to siphon material. Super-hot solar matter would heat up the atmosphere inside the shield, killing everyone.

Second, Atlantis is designed to sit on a planet's surface. Every time you wanted to refuel, you'd have to launch the entire city into space, fly it through the sun, then fly it back and land it again. This takes a lot of power.

Third, any reactor using that type of energy is going to have be huge to accommodate Atlantis' power requirements. Atlantis' main power core is tiny thanks to the incredible amounts of energy a ZPM can provide, which means more room for everything else.

Comment

Originally posted by morbosfist View Post
                It would be inefficient (not to mention probably deadly) for Atlantis or any other city-ship to use a Destiny-style ram scoop.

First, Atlantis is not a starship. It's a city someone made to fly. It's only line of protection is that shield, which would been to be adjusted to allow the ram scoop to siphon material. Super-hot solar matter would heat up the atmosphere inside the shield, killing everyone.

Second, Atlantis is designed to sit on a planet's surface. Every time you wanted to refuel, you'd have to launch the entire city into space, fly it through the sun, then fly it back and land it again. This takes a lot of power.

Third, any reactor using that type of energy is going to have be huge to accommodate Atlantis' power requirements. Atlantis' main power core is tiny thanks to the incredible amounts of energy a ZPM can provide, which means more room for everything else.
                This is assuming that it requires the vessel to be the actual ram scoop. We've experimented with resonance-based wireless energy transfer so I'm sure that the Ancients would be able to create something to send power back from, say, an unmanned probe to a planetary based city-ship. Admittedly, there is nothing canonical that suggests that this is possible, but the charging plates on Destiny show that they have wireless power transfer abilities.

the men cheered, the women fainted, the children waved multicoloured flags !!!!

Comment

Plus with the zpm's we have the capacity to remove the power for some other thing, where as with destinies power, it can only be used for the destiny OR a seeder ship (IF docked).

Comment

Originally posted by seishuuu View Post
                    This is assuming that it requires the vessel to be the actual ram scoop. We've experimented with resonance-based wireless energy transfer so I'm sure that the Ancients would be able to create something to send power back from, say, an unmanned probe to a planetary based city-ship. Admittedly, there is nothing canonical that suggests that this is possible, but the charging plates on Destiny show that they have wireless power transfer abilities.
                    Valid point. But in order to charge anything on those plates, you have to have them in direct contact. Wireless? Yes. But you still require a connection of some sort.

The unmanned probe would still have to return and go through the whole re-entry/launch process and, while burning less energy than an entire city, it would still be more efficient to just pop in a couple zpm's.

And let's not forget that Atlantis-class cities are meant to remain "docked" on a planet, but have the ability to move about when it's leaders deem it right to do so. Zpm's are a far more practical energy solution than flying (or sending a "collection" probe) through a star.

Different Techs for different specs.
                    sigpic
                    ____I reserve the right to be completely wrong about any topic I post on.

Comment

I think that the destiny's power systems are old and were designed, constructed and implemented before zpm tech was discovered. This was give or take a million years ago that it was constructed. Also previously mentioned elsewhere, designs are different.

My take on the specs is this: Atlantis had a reactor core of some kind. McKay fired it up and almost ripped a hole between several parallel dimensions. On Atlantis, they kept running thru zpm's more than a kid runs through batteries at christmas. Obviously, they never (as far as I've seen) tried to figure out how to charge a zpm, which to me is better than searching the galaxy to find a handful of nearly depleted zpm's. I think fictionally speaking, utilizing that reactor core to charge them would have been a great way provide power. ZPM's were most likely a rechargeable, portable, easy to transport power source by design. Long lasting they were not.

Destiny - wouldn't have access to charge and swap out ZPM's. As stated, it was sent out on auto pilot and meant to be boarded later. It would need an automatic way to replenish it's power reserves with an abundant energy source without human interaction, hence the ram scoop and the solar recharging.

Comment

Originally posted by valence28 View Post
                        My take on the specs is this: Atlantis had a reactor core of some kind. McKay fired it up and almost ripped a hole between several parallel dimensions. On Atlantis, they kept running thru zpm's more than a kid runs through batteries at christmas. Obviously, they never (as far as I've seen) tried to figure out how to charge a zpm, which to me is better than searching the galaxy to find a handful of nearly depleted zpm's. I think fictionally speaking, utilizing that reactor core to charge them would have been a great way provide power. ZPM's were most likely a rechargeable, portable, easy to transport power source by design. Long lasting they were not.
                        There are numerous things wrong with this. First, Atlantis did not have a reactor. That thing McKay used to nearly destroy a universe was built by the Atlantis team. Atlantis is powered by ZPMs from a room at the base of the control tower. Second, a ZPM cannot be charged. It is a containment device for an artificial universe, from which zero-point energy is extracted. Eventually the universe reaches maximum entropy and collapses. You cannot recharge a universe. Three, as pointed out, they were not rechargable, because they were built to be the ultimate power source. They surpass any other kind of generator in terms of size vs output. They last thousands of years under normal conditions.

Comment

you can theoretically recharge a ZPM for as long as maximum entropy is not reached. the energy will reduce the entropy of the ZPM and add to it's total enthalpy.

what if seed ships and Destiny both utilize similar technology to a ZPM, but designed to charge and recharge.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                            you can theoretically recharge a ZPM for as long as maximum entropy is not reached. the energy will reduce the entropy of the ZPM and add to it's total enthalpy.

what if seed ships and Destiny both utilize similar technology to a ZPM, but designed to charge and recharge.
                            Zero-point energy comes from the ground-state of a system. You can't recharge that. It isn't like a battery. Entropy doesn't reverse itself.

Comment

What I think Killman is suggesting is something like the Subspace capacitor. Of course, I am not he.
                              If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
                              Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
                              If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
                              Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

Working...
                              X